MJ
Posted By
Mark_John_Murphy
Jul 14, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Operating system is XP. I am trying to get CS3 to automatically open all JPEG files when I double click on them in windows explorer.

I open windows explorer, right click on the image that I want to open, then click "open with" ….

….at this point CS3 is not one of the choices on the "open with" menu so I already smell a problem ….

…… so I click "choose program" and navigate to the adobe photoshop cs3 folder and point to photoshop.exe, then click the "always use the selected program" box, click open, and bada-boom, bada-bing, the image opens in photoshop CS3, right? WRONG.

The image opens in the Quicktime Picture Viewer program and NOT IN PHOTOSHOP CS3.

I feel that I have entered the Twilight Zone, otherwise known as The Adobe Messed Up Someting In The Registry Upon CS3 Install Zone. Does anyone have any hints on how to get PS CS3 working as the default program for JPEGs when I double click them from explorer on my XP computer?

Thanks,

Mark

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DM
dave_milbut
Jul 14, 2008
set that same open with setting in adobe bridge’s settings (edit> preferences in bridge).
MJ
Mark_John_Murphy
Jul 14, 2008
Hi Dave,

I think you mean the edit/preferences/filetypeassociations menu in CS3 bridge. Photoshop CS3 is selected on this menu to open all types of jpeg files. This does not help. When I double click on jpeg files in windows explorer, they open in quicktime picture viewer and the very strange part is that when I click choose program and navigate to photoshop cs3, it ignores my choice and opens in quicktime picture viewer anyway. Still in the Twilight Zone. Any other suggestions out there?

Thanks,

Mark
S
Silkrooster
Jul 15, 2008
First thing I would do is go into quicktimes preferences and uncheck jpg for the file association. I am not positive, but I beleive with it checked quicktime will reassociate the file extention.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 15, 2008
I think you mean the edit/preferences/filetypeassociations menu in CS3 bridge.

that’s correct. but silkrooster’s idea sounds promising. i think quicktime presents you with one of those "always reassociate file type…" dialogs once too and if you ever check it, you’re doomed! 🙂
MJ
Mark_John_Murphy
Jul 15, 2008
After a long search I found the answer:

To associate all jpeg files with Photoshop CS3 so that they will open into CS3 when double clicked:

Click Start, Run and type in: Control Folders.
Click the file Types Tab.
Wait for the list of file types to populate.
Single click on the jpeg file type.
Click the Advanced button.
Highlight open and click the edit button.
Browse to the location of photoshop.exe in the CS3 folder. A few OK’s and you are done.

AND ANOTHER THING ………
After the change above was made, jpg files would open directly to photoshop cs3 when doubleclicked, but the maintained the same goofy quicktime pictureviewer icon when viewed in windows explorer. To change the icon for jpeg files displayed in all folders to the photoshop icon, do this:

Start / My Computer
Click Tools at the top of the screen.
Click folder options …. then the file types tab
Click on jpeg in the list and click the advanced button
Click change icon and browse to the photoshop.exe for CS3 A list of ocon choices will appear …. I chose the second row first icon A couple of OKs and you are done
JJ
John Joslin
Jul 15, 2008
Good summary of what I’ve been advocating in here for ages.

One little addition: if the above doesn’t work as advertised (for instance if the associations have been messed around with) you may have to click on "Restore" in that dialog first.
KM
Katie_McCowen
Aug 5, 2008
I have got the answer at last!!!
<http://www.planetphotoshop.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494> In my case, i solved problem completely this way:

In the registry, went to:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Aplications\Photoshop.exe\shell\ open\command

Guess what, the data still contained the folder name of my previous installation of Photoshop 7. I changed the folders name to the present "Adobe Photoshop CS3".

It worked 🙂
DB
Dave_Breen
Jan 16, 2009
I’ve tried all of these fixes, and still can’t get CS3 to be the default program for JPG. It is for PSD and TIF, but not JPG. Has anyone tried anything else?
DB
Dave_Breen
Jan 16, 2009
AH, ha.

The solution is in folder options/file types. I had to click "new", then repeat the extension (in this case jpg), then "advanced" then associate it with "Adobe Photoshop Image". Doing this puts CS3 in the list of recommended programs.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections