Posted By
fox.whisper
Feb 6, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello
I have version 2 right now and it seems to do most of what I want. In view of that, is there any WOW factor which I should upgrade for?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

F
Fishface
Feb 8, 2007
I have version 2 right now and it seems to do most of what I want. In view of that, is there any WOW factor which I should upgrade for?

Download the tryout. With version 3 and later, it is like a different program. I believe the latest version 5 requires Windows XP and also SSE2 CPU instruction support. P4 has them, Athlon XP does not. Anything newer should be good to go, as well.

I don’t think version 2 has the red-eye tool that works with one click, does it?
FW
fox.whisper
Feb 8, 2007
On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 00:32:16 GMT, "Fishface" <?> wrote:

Download the tryout. With version 3 and later, it is like a different program. I believe the latest version 5 requires Windows XP and also SSE2 CPU instruction support. P4 has them, Athlon XP does not. Anything newer should be good to go, as well.

I don’t think version 2 has the red-eye tool that works with one click, does it?
Thanks for your reply.
No, not the one-click thing-y, but the lack of it doesn’t bother me, the tutorial takes one through the whole process.
I have WinXP + SP2, but what’s SSE2 CPU? My chip is Athlon XP 2800+ so, from what you say, it looks like the upgrade is out. It’s just unless there is any real knee-trembler new element, I’m not sure I should spend the money.
JM
Joseph Meehan
Feb 8, 2007
wrote:
Hello

I tried out the version 3 trial when I had V2. I liked it just enough to buy V3. As time when on I found a lot I liked about V3. I now have V4 and while I don’t think that much was added that I really use, I do see some advantages to it, so I would not return to V3 even though it took me a couple of moths to get use to it and find a few things that made me stop regretting I had upgraded.

Joseph Meehan

Dia ‘s Muire duit
F
Fishface
Feb 8, 2007
I have WinXP + SP2, but what’s SSE2 CPU? My chip is Athlon XP 2800+ so, from what you say, it looks like the upgrade is out.

Version 4 would work and is still available. You can even download the tryout. ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/photoshopelements/win/4.x/

It’s just unless there is any real knee-trembler new element, I’m not sure I should spend the money.

Well, try it. Maybe someone will have it discounted. I can’t believe they would limit their market like that…
M
Mossie
Feb 8, 2007
wrote:

Thanks for your reply.
No, not the one-click thing-y, but the lack of it doesn’t bother me, the tutorial takes one through the whole process.
I have WinXP + SP2, but what’s SSE2 CPU? My chip is Athlon XP 2800+ so, from what you say, it looks like the upgrade is out. It’s just unless there is any real knee-trembler new element, I’m not sure I should spend the money.
My Catalog file in PSE 5 appears to be corrupt as the program hangs when I try to open it. Is it possible to recover this somehow?

—-== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com – Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==—- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups —-= East and West-Coast Server Farms – Total Privacy via Encryption =—-
B
BRH
Feb 8, 2007
wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

I have PSE5 running on an AthlonXP 2600. So, I’m sure that it will run on your system.

Whether its worth upgrading for you (feature-wise) is another question. This is my first version of PSE, so I have nothing to compare it to.
F
Fishface
Feb 9, 2007
I have PSE5 running on an AthlonXP 2600. So, I’m sure that it will run on your system.

I’d swear I originally read that PSE5 required SSE2, and I was not confusing Premiere Elements as I already knew that required it. It doesn’t say it now though…
JB
John B
Feb 12, 2007
wrote:
Hello
Depends what you spend your time doing with PSE2 – if portraits then maybe the Healing Brush will produce the Wow, if landscapes then the Magic Wand tool might do it for you as well!
Personally I like the PhotoBrowser with tagging etc that makes finding photos so much easier. I have PSE 4.
The best idea is to download a trial (may as well be PSE 5 and see if it helps enough to warrant upgrading.
Good luck
JB

Remove socks to reply.
M
MrB
Feb 24, 2007

From Adobe website:
Background information

The SSE2 (Streaming SIMD Extensions 2) instruction set is included with Intel Pentium 4 and later processors, and with AMD Athlon 64 and Opteron and later processors.
P
Plaincity
Jun 16, 2007
Hello

I use the soft healing brush and the horizontal leveling tools all the time. If I had to go back to 2.0 I would be lost without those items.
ND
Norman Dulaney
Jun 16, 2007
wrote in message
Hello

5 works great with xp athlon chip premere 3 does not i have this chip and have no trouble at all download the trail

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections