Will an Upgrade install on a NEWER version?

E
Posted By
electric
Feb 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have purchased a Full version of Photoshop 7, I would like to purchase the Photoshop 6 Upgrade and install it as well. Will it work? Or does an upgrade only work if the existing installation is older?

(yes, I know its a weird scenario – don’t ask 🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JJ
Jerry_Jensen
Feb 3, 2004
I really doubt it but will defer to the experts. Be aware though, that your license is only good for ONE version. After an "upgrade" you no longer have a license for the product that you upgraded from and have to remove it in a reasonable time. Hence, even if you can go from version 7 to version 6, you loose your version 7 license! Hard to believe, but it is true.
E
electric
Feb 3, 2004
I don’t think its true. I just read my End User License Agreement. As long as you’re one person, on one computer, running whatever version you purchased is ok, no time limit.

Section 5, regarding "Update" products: (skip to the middle)

5. Multiple Environment Software / Multiple Language Software / Dual Media Software / Multiple Copies/ Bundles / Updates. If the Software supports multiple platforms or languages, if you receive the Software on multiple media, if you otherwise receive multiple copies of the Software, or if you received the Software bundled with other software or hardware, the total number of your computers on which all versions of the Software are installed may not exceed the Permitted Number. You may not, rent, lease, sell, sublicense, lend or transfer any versions or copies of such Software you do not Use. If the Software is an Update to a previous version of the Software, you must possess a valid license to such previous version in order to Use the Update. You may continue to Use the previous version of the Software on your computer after you receive the Update to assist you in the transition to the Update, provided that: (a) the Update and the previous version are installed on the same computer; (b) the previous version or copies thereof are not transferred to another party or Computer unless all copies of the Update are also transferred to such party or Computer; and (c) you acknowledge that any obligation Adobe may have to support the previous version of the Software may be ended upon availability of the Update.
E
electric
Feb 3, 2004
Oh my god. You’re right. I just read my Photoshop CS Upgrade License (I haven’t installed it yet. I don’t know if I will now). They changed the License Agreement from Photoshop 7.

5. Updates. If the Software is an upgrade or update to a previous version of the Software, you must possess a valid license to such previous version in order to use such upgrade or update. All upgrades and updates are provided to you on a license exchange basis. You agree that by using an upgrade or update you voluntarily terminate your right to use any previous version of the Software. As an exception, you may continue to use previous versions of the Software on your Computer after you use the upgrade or update but only to assist you in the transition to the upgrade or update, provided that the upgrade or update and the previous versions are installed on the same computer. Upgrades and updates may be licensed to you by Adobe with additional or different terms.
Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 3, 2004
Let’s not assume too much. There’s nothing saying that he didn’t receive the Full Version CS (not an upgrade) as a Christmas gift and then decided to upgrade his version 5.5. In that case he’s entitled to use them both.

Electric,

When you install Photoshop upgrades, they are installed in their own folders, and as Jerry has pointed out, they both CAN be used on the same machine (from a technical standpoint).

So you shouldn’t have a problem installing, but it’s a dangerous road. You’ll have file association issues, I would think, and possibly registry data that may not necessarily be overwritten, but the wrong program may have precidence over what you want.

If it were me, I’d remove CS first, install the 6.01 upgrade (don’t know where you would buy that thought…), the install CS last, but you have an an activation "issue".

Either way you go, IMO, there are headaches.

Peace,
Tony
JJ
Jerry_Jensen
Feb 3, 2004
It is an interesting legal problem. You are sold a product and later discover that there are limitations. I think the the courts would decide that it is similar to a bait and switch sale. Until the product advertising and packaging tell you that there are further limitations on your use of the product, I wouldn’t worry too much about the legal implications. (I see that some of this is appearing in some products). Some day, someone will challenge the user terms and the used agreements will become more on equal terms. Until then, it appears on paper, at least, that all users are the "screwees" and the software suppliers the "screwers"!

Its almost like those "we are not responsible for losses" signs at coat check and parking lot functions. Long ago, the courts put and end to these disclaimers. When you sell a product or service, there are liabilities!
L
LenHewitt
Feb 3, 2004
Electric,

Or does an upgrade only work if the existing installation is older?<<

The upgrade will look for a PREVIOUS qualifying version, and I very much doubt that it will recognize your Ver. 7 as a qualifying version.
V
viol8ion
Feb 3, 2004
Look for a full legal copy of PS 4 or 5.5 on eBay, I have seen quite a few legitimate ones. Use that for your upgrade to 6.0, which will be legal to use. Since CS was NOT an upgrade, the terms of removing previous versions do not apply.
RL
Robert_Levine
Feb 3, 2004
but only to assist you in the transition to the upgrade

Some people take longer than others to transition. There’s no set time period here so I don’t really think anyone could ever be found in violation of the EULA for this.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 3, 2004
Some people take longer than others to transition.

What’s that knocking on your door Bob… 🙂
RL
Robert_Levine
Feb 3, 2004
What’s that knocking on your door Bob… 🙂

FedEx!

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 3, 2004
Ahh. Nice! 🙂
E
electric
Feb 3, 2004
Here’s my theory on the reason they changed the EULA in this way. In Photoshop 7 they had this phrase, which makes sense…

"you acknowledge that any obligation Adobe may have to support the previous version of the Software may be ended upon availability of the Update."

No software developer wants to keep maintaining "old" code. Thats why you have "new" code 🙂

Instead of just reusing that in the CS EULA, they just decided to do away with your rights to your previous version, so that way they’re not obligated to fix any bugs in the old version.

I like the idea of moving forward, not supporting old versions, thats what "updates" for a particular version are for. But the new phrase in the EULA seems like big overkill. There will be people that may like to bounce between the two, depending on the project, or personal preference that day of the week, or whatever.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections