What Happens When I Install CS2 on a New Computer ? Can I Upgrade Across Platforms?

PS
Posted By
Paul_Schatzkin
Jul 30, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a new laptop.

I already have CS2 running on a desktop and the old laptop.

What will happen if I try to install CS2 on the new laptop? Will it just not install because it is already registered to two computers? Will it install? Will it kill the activation on one of the other computers?

I don’t want to deactive the copy on the old laptop because I’m not sure yet I’m going to keep the new one (a MacBook, actually, running Windows in Parallels VM).

I also have a (now unused) copy of Photoshop 7.0 that I suppose I could install on the new computer, at least so that I can do the work that I need to do (and see if I like working on this computer. Taking two keys to do a (forward) delete is sure going to get some getting used to…)

Just not sure what the limitations are, or what my options are, for migrating my current copy of CS2 to the new machine. Upgrading to CS3 is a matter of what platform I decide on.

Also, if I do stay with the Mac, I’ll want to run Photoshop in OSX, rather than in the XP VM. Does that mean I will have to start all over with a new, FULL copy of PS-CS3, or is there someway I can finagle an upgrade?

Thanks,

-PS

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Jul 30, 2007
Paul,

It will install fine, but you’ll have to deactivate Ps on one of the other computers. This is easy. Also reactivating later is easy.

In other words install it on as many computers as you like, but you can have it activated on two computers at the same time.

Call Adobe for the crass platform upgrade.

Rob
PS
Paul_Schatzkin
Jul 30, 2007
Rob,

So, what happens when I install it on computer #3 ? It won’t work? Until I deactivate from one of other two and activate on #3? I can only have it activated — and working — on two at a time, right?

"Crass platform upgrade" ? What does that mean?

The whole idea of trying to call Adobe is a chilling prospect. I think I tried to call Adobe once. I waited on hold for like 30 minutes and gave up. But, that was a tech support call; maybe they’re more responsive if there’s a prospect of shaking some dollars loose at the end of the call?

What number would I even call?

Thanks,

–PS
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Jul 30, 2007
It won’t work? Until I deactivate from one of other two and activate on #3?

Well it won’t work until you activate it. And you can’t activate it until one of the others is deactivated. At least that is how the activation scheme is supposed to work.

Cross platform upgrade is switching Windows/Macintosh or vv.

trying to call Adobe is a chilling prospect

Could be, but we can’t do that for you.

What number would I even call?

Mmm,

I tried to call Adobe once.

I think it would be that number again.

Rob
JS
Jason_Samples
Jul 30, 2007
Will Photoshop CS2 work on a new computer with Microsoft Vista Home Premium?
DM
Don_McCahill
Jul 30, 2007
The "Crass" typo

How disappointing. I was thinking it was satire.

To Paul

I think you are overly concerned about the activation step. It is fairly painless, almost totally so if you are online at the time. While uninstalling/reinstalling would be unbearable, the activation/deactivation steps should only take a few minutes.

Once you decide which laptop deserves Photoshop, you will be able to stop the activation dance. (It is just there to prevent less honest people from trying to buy one license and have a design shop of five or six people all running off that one license.)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections