ji
Aug 14, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi
I received Elements 2 with my camera.
I am trying to get detailed information on how to use layers. The manual is too general. What I need is step by step procedure for every detail (I’m nearly 80). I am hoping to locate a publication that will help me out. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanking you in advance.
Jim

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

A
Azul
Aug 14, 2006
ji wrote:
Hi
I am trying to get detailed information on how to use layers. The manual is too general. What I need is step by step procedure for every detail (I’m nearly 80). I am hoping to locate a publication that will help me out. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanking you in advance.
Jim
I bought the book Photoshop Elements 2.0 for Dummies when I got PSE 2 and it has a chapter on using layers. Using the book and the help files, I was finally able to figure it out. Depending on where you live, your library may have it, or you can find it used on an auction or book site. They’ve had two new versions since 2.0, but it’s still an excellent program. I downloaded 4.0 and didn’t like it, but got 3.0 with my Wacom tablet and I love it (because of the organization tools). Good luck.
C
clint
Aug 16, 2006
Buy, "The Photoshop Elements Book" By Scott Kelby. Excellent and easy for the beginner(I’m 73:-)
"ji" <jimpict.comcast.net> wrote in message
Hi
I am trying to get detailed information on how to use layers. The manual is
too general. What I need is step by step procedure for every detail (I’m nearly 80). I am hoping to locate a publication that will help me out. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanking you in advance.
Jim

J
jor
Aug 16, 2006
On 2006-08-14 14:55:01 -0700, "ji" <jimpict.comcast.net> said:

Hi
Thanking you in advance.
Jim

I bought Photoshop Elements 4, The Missing Manualby Barbara Brundage and published by O’Reilly. It’s a little pricey @ $39.95 at Barnes & Noble. The book is very complete and has a good chapter on layers. There’s also a pretty good discussion group for beginners (I am one too) at:
http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/forum/forumdisplay.php? f=3 Good luck.
jor
PD
postman delivers
Aug 16, 2006
"ji" <jimpict.comcast.net> wrote in message
Hi
I am trying to get detailed information on how to use layers. The manual is
too general. What I need is step by step procedure for every detail (I’m nearly 80). I am hoping to locate a publication that will help me out. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanking you in advance.
Jim
a little bit – not the best…
http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-2958.html

Here are some on-line tutorials for elements – by my favorite Photoshop teacher Janee!
http://myjanee.home.insightbb.com/tutorialselements.htm

Chapter 6: Using layers, is what you need from the User Guide!

Quote from chapter 6 " When you create, import, or scan an image in Photoshop Elements, the image consists of a single layer. If you are retouching the image, you can edit the original layer to make changes. Alternatively, you can leave the original layer intact as a back-up, and retouch a duplicate copy of the layer, or use an adjustment layer or layers to fine tune your image."

I have always looked at layers as transparent sheets stacked upon the original photo, or background. They can have anything on them paint, photo, controls, adjustments, type, and the order can be changed by dragging them about in the layer palette. The position of a sheet can be changed moved up, down, left, right, up or down at any angle, they can be adjustment layers, translucent, or opaque… They are transparent sheets for you to use, add, combine with others or delete….

If you stack one transparent sheet on top of your imported black and white cartoon scanned from a coloring book, you can work on coloring one part of the cartoon without disturbing the original black and white cartoon (background). Add another transparent sheet and you can color another part of the cartoon with out disturbing the background, or the first transparent sheet (layer 1).

I started using layers for each area or color when adding color to black and white cartoons. Some of these cartoons I would have 10 or 12 layers, until I flattened or combined layers. I had to learn to use my hand and arm after an operation took away my fine motor skills. Coloring cartoons, staying inside the lines, I discovered using layers was less frustrating than trying to color the background and then trying to erase what I had done, or starting over…

jimpict, I could toss out a many a layer, without losing the ones I did that were acceptable when I was not tired.

I wish you the best

JR the postman

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections