EZ
Posted By
Ed_Zeddo
Apr 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello, I have never used a photo editing program before and am trying to figure out how to use layers in PSE2. What I’m trying to do is assemble a simple image constructed of 2 or 3 layers, just to figure out how layers work. My problem is:

-I open PSE, get the big sunflower start screen with menu ("new file, browse, Tutorial")and choose "Tutorial"
-then choose "Harness Power of Layers"
-Section 1 "Open a Layered Document" says ‘open the "Start psd" file in the Tutorials folder located inside the Adobe PSE Applications folder."
-I can’t find anything called "start psd" (and I’m already in the Tutorial, so where am I being directed?)

Would really appreciate any advice.

Ed

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 25, 2005
I’ve never used it, but on my Mac that file is literally in the application folder for Elements 2.0 in a subfolder titled "Tutorials".

You should be able to navigate to it from Elements through File>Open. Or, you can locate it on your hard drive and drag it out onto the desktop so it’s easier to get to.
NS
Nancy_S
Apr 25, 2005
Jay’s site is an excellent source of information

<http://www.arraich.com/intro.htm>
EZ
Ed_Zeddo
Apr 25, 2005
Hi Beth

I’ve tried using File>Open in PSE, but only my various picture folders appear. I’ve also tried going into "Control Panel" where it lists programs on my computer, but all I can see is the PSE program.

Maybe I’m not understanding the "application folder" reference properly–that would be the program name/logo showing in the Control Panel for Adobe PSE 2, right?

Thanks for responding. I feel like a kid in the cockpit of a 747–there’s enough technology in front of me to fly around the world and all I want to do is turn the radio on…

Ed
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 26, 2005
Oh, my. Let’s see what kind of trouble I can get us into! I don’t have a Windows machine that’s hooked up right now, but maybe I can give you enough clues so you can make it the rest of the way on your own!

First, find something like "My Computer", or wherever it is that you can go to choose your main hard drive, which is "C" drive for most people, I think. Now, after you open the C drive, there should be someplace where all of the applications are stored. You did find the list of applications in the control panel, but you need to find where the complete folders for all the programs on your computer are stored.

There is a way to access it from within Elements, too, but I can’t remember what the Windows interface looks like well enough to even get you started. 🙁

If nobody comes to our rescue with more detailed instructions, I’ll try to get that other computer hooked up a little later. It should be done anyway, but I’ve been putting it off.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 26, 2005
Using Windows Explorer, here’s a picture where you can find the START.PSD document :

http://www.pbase.com/carbone/image/42581422/original

Ray
MS
Mark_Sand
Apr 26, 2005
Ed,

My version of PSE2 is in directory named "Photoshop Elements 2". When you installed PSE2, you either chose the default name or chose one of your own. If you are running Windows you can right-click the PSE2 icon on the desktiop and choose Properties, which will give you the full path to PSE2. Under this directory is subdirectory Tutorials where you should find Start.psd. In my case it is D:\apps\Photoshop Elements 2\Tutorials.

Within PSE2 you can navigate to this directory using either the Browser window or via File->Open. In either case you might have to click the "Up 1 level" icon once or twice to get to the Tutorials directory.

If you cannot find Start.psd maybe for some reason it didn’t install. If you want I can email you my Start.psd. I found the "Harness Power of Layers" tutorial very helpful as a first lesson in layers.

Mark
MS
Mark_Sand
Apr 26, 2005
Ray,
Our paths crossed but we basically are saying the same thing!
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 26, 2005
Yeh! That’s it! Translated from French, that would be C drive>Program Files>Adobe>Photoshop Elements>Tutorials.

Thanks, Ray!
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 26, 2005
OH MY.. !!! I stupidly forgot my system was in French. My apologies, really.

Ray
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 26, 2005
It was good exercise! Nobody would ever believe it, but I did take French for three years in high school. I somehow managed to get credit for it in college, but it’s sure a good thing they never asked me to say anything! (I was 40 by the time I pulled those old credits out of the hat, so it’d been a long, long time.)
EZ
Ed_Zeddo
Apr 26, 2005
I found it! You folks are wonderful. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Ed
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 26, 2005
Not bad for a couple of Mac users, huh? 🙂

Now that the challenge of finding that file for the Adobe tutorial is over, you also should check out the links Nancy gave. They’re very good and will expand your understanding of layers even more.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 26, 2005
Beth and Ray’s Windows Class… Opened now for registration 😉 (for a better experience, bring your own Mac… )

Hahaha!

Ray
PA
Patti Anderson
Apr 26, 2005
Beth and Ray…you guys rock! You are what makes this a super nice forum. 🙂

Ray, I enjoyed seeing the French version — cool! The only thing I couldn’t figure out was Poste de Travail???

Patti
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 26, 2005
You two are amazing …. you do make me smile 🙂

Wendy
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 26, 2005
Patti : Poste de Travail is My Computer (though, the exact translation would be closer to Work Station, and My Computer would be Mon Ordinateur), but for the sake of clarity, Microsoft didn’t exactly translate everything to what it should be, but rather what the users expect it to be.

Wendy : Thanks! Wanna join our Windows class? You sure have what it takes… A Mac computer.. 🙂

Ray
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 26, 2005
Ray,

I already have the equipment (Mac) and have been learning to talk windows for some time. I am now qualified to give windows advice on how to:

Change which program opens an image
Delete both ordinary and web prefs
Switch off Photoshop Elements Device
Stop the Organiser in its tracks
Adobe Gamma
The iaccore solution (don’t know what it is but know how to fix it)

but I’m not in yours and Beth’s class 🙂 … I’m still in the junior class 🙂

Wendy
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 26, 2005
Ohh… Then, I think we found our substitute teacher in Wendy 🙂

Ray
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 26, 2005
Ray …

Glad to help out when you and Beth go on your holidays … 🙂

Wendy
SL
Sam_Low
Apr 26, 2005
HELP FINDING TUTORIALS – I TRIED GOING TO C THEN PROGRAMS – ADOBE ETC TO TOTORIALS BUT WHEN I OPEND THE FILE ALL THAT WAS THERE WERE PICTURES. WHERE ARE MY TUTORIALS. PLEASE HELP. I HAVE BOTH ELEMENTS 2 AND 3 AND NO TUTORIALS.

THANKS

SAM LOW
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 26, 2005
I think you got off to the wrong start, maybe after reading this thread, even. Open Elements, then go to Help>Tutorials. That’s where the Tutorials start, and then you’ll have to go into the folder you found that appeared to have pictures in it and find the correct image file for the tutorial you’re working on. I’ve never done them, but I was looking around, and that’s how I got to where the tutorials started. The one on Harnessing the Power of Layers does refer you to the application folder for the sample image file.

And, unless you have a vision problem, please don’t type in all caps. Internet "protocol" is that all capital letters is reserved for yelling at people, and I don’t think that’s what you intended. 🙂

If you have any more questions, please post again. And, if you do find it easier to read when things are written in all capital letters, just let us know and we’ll oblige.
TF
Terri_Foster
Apr 27, 2005
Sam,

I went through these some time ago. They are actually pretty helpful in grasping the basic concepts. Beth is correct in saying these PSD files are to be used with the tutorials provided in help. When you open PSE2, you can click the word Tutorial on the "Welcome Splash Screen" to quickly get to a list of the PSE2 tutorials.

Terri
SL
Sam_Low
Apr 27, 2005
I go to my computer – c – program files – adobe – elements 3 – tutorials – “start PDS” – then I get an image of a “dummy” which opens in photoshop – but no tutorial.

If go into photoshop and go to “edit and enhance” – help – tutorials – and the layers topic in the list – I get a printed out document but is that a tutorial? I thought a tutorial took you through the process step by step in the program. Somewhere – I swear – I found a tutorial for a few subjects that did that – but not for weighty things like layers. I am not even sure where that was now. But it was great. Had interactive things like “do it for me” and was very helpful.

If I click on tutorial on the screen that comes up first – I get a list of eight or so “recent tutorials” that are no help.

Totally confused and thanks for your help.
TF
Terri_Foster
Apr 27, 2005
Sam,

Only three of these tutorials listed in help use the .PSDs. These are "Harness the Power of Layers", "Animation", and "Stitch together a Panorama".

Try this. Click Tutorial on your Welcome Screen in PSE2. You should get a list of 10 tutorials. Click on the link titled "Harness the Power of Layers". This tutorial says in Step 1 to open "Start.PSD". As the tutorial says, you need to have your Layers palette open so you can see all of the dummy photo’s layers. Follow along with the tutorial using your "Start.PSD". You’ll also end up using the "Hats.PSD" and the "Basket.PSD" with this particular tutorial. It’s a learn by doing sort of thing.

The "Animation" tutorial will use the "Jumpman.PSD" and the "Stitch together a Panorama" tutorial uses the "Cars-Pano.PSD".

Maybe you are thinking about the Recipe’s in the "How To" Palette in PSE2…not sure if it’s still in PSE3. It has directions and some steps that are automated "do it for me" steps.

Terri

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections