B
Posted By
BRH
Oct 24, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m a newbie to PSE and just bought PSE5. A recent article in PC Photo Magazine discussed the use of Adjustment Layers in PS (not PSE), but as a new user, I found it a bit confusing.

I know that PSE5 supports Adjustment Layers too, but I haven’t been able to figure out how/why their use is recommended. For example, why not just make a copy of your photo and work off of that instead of using Adjustment Layers? You’d still have your original photo to fall back to, if you make a mess of things.

I’m sure that I’m missing some salient point about Adjustment Layers, so can someone explain why to use them and exactly how to use them (ie — the order of the commands involved) in PSE5?

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DI
Don in Centennial CO
Oct 26, 2006
BRH wrote:
I’m a newbie to PSE and just bought PSE5. A recent article in PC Photo Magazine discussed the use of Adjustment Layers in PS (not PSE), but as a new user, I found it a bit confusing.

I know that PSE5 supports Adjustment Layers too, but I haven’t been able to figure out how/why their use is recommended. For example, why not just make a copy of your photo and work off of that instead of using Adjustment Layers? You’d still have your original photo to fall back to, if you make a mess of things.

I’m sure that I’m missing some salient point about Adjustment Layers, so can someone explain why to use them and exactly how to use them (ie — the order of the commands involved) in PSE5?

Thanks!

You’re correct but it’s just more efficient to use adjustment layers so if you don’t like the results you can change them or delete the layer instead of having to make another copy of the original and start over again. Once you start using layers you may end up with quite a few. So starting over is a pain in the neck.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections