Posted By
CIL
Jul 8, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Good evening,

I am contemplating buying/installing PS elements.

If I were to "modify" a photo could it be sent to Wal-Mart / Walgreens for printing? Not sure what the suffix would be on a modified photo. I currently send .jpg and all is fine…

Thanks in advance for answering a dumb question.

cil

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JS
James Silverton
Jul 8, 2006
CIL wrote on Sat, 8 Jul 2006 14:16:52 -0400:

C> I am contemplating buying/installing PS elements.

C> If I were to "modify" a photo could it be sent to Wal-Mart / C> Walgreens for printing? Not sure what the suffix would be C> on a modified photo. I currently send .jpg and all is C> fine…

C> Thanks in advance for answering a dumb question.

Jpgs should be fine. I have used them for considerably edited pictures with both Moto-Photo and Kodak online. I did find out that you can’t upload a bitmap picture to Kodak so possibly WalMart would also have trouble.

James Silverton.
BY
Bill Yowell
Jul 8, 2006
"CIL" wrote in message
Good evening,

If I were to "modify" a photo could it be sent to Wal-Mart / Walgreens for printing? Not sure what the suffix would be on a modified photo. I currently send .jpg and all is fine…

cil
I took a CD-ROM into Wolf camera with a photograph saved in .psd, .tif and ..jpg

The only file they could handle was .jpg

There are no dumb questions.

Bill Yowell
RG
Roy G
Jul 8, 2006
"CIL" wrote in message
Good evening,

cil

Hi.

Just to make it very clear.

Almost any Image which you have edited in Elements, can be saved as a Jpeg, or a Tiff or a Psd or as a variety of other File types. Just use "Save As" and select from the drop down list.

There are some conditions which will prevent an image being saved as a Jpeg. The main one is having more than one layer, just "Flatten Layers" before trying to Save As.

Roy G
C
CIL
Jul 8, 2006
Thanks to all,
I have been lurking here for about 2-months, very interesting and educational for me. I bought a Canon S2 IS before taking our retirement trip to Maui. The photos came out so nice I want to learn more about photography and photo editing.

Thanks again!

cil
"Roy G" wrote in message
"CIL" wrote in message
Good evening,

cil

Hi.

Just to make it very clear.

Almost any Image which you have edited in Elements, can be saved as a Jpeg, or a Tiff or a Psd or as a variety of other File types. Just use "Save As" and select from the drop down list.

There are some conditions which will prevent an image being saved as a Jpeg. The main one is having more than one layer, just "Flatten Layers" before trying to Save As.

Roy G
C
catfish
Jul 9, 2006
use drop-down menu, and "save as" a jpg. after you choose a name and click "save" button, another box will pop up asking for a "quality" setting. Choose somewhere between 9 and 12 (max).

you can upload via high speed (cable or dsl is m-u-c-h faster than phone line/modem combination); or put the pictures on a CD or a thumb drive, and bring the CD or thumb drive in to the store.

Ritz photo and wolf camera (depending on where you live) also have kiosks in their stores, or you can upload from home and pick them up in about an hour at your local Ritz/Wolf store.

"CIL" wrote:
Good evening,

cil
AG
AKA gray asphalt
Jul 9, 2006
I use Walmart online and they only accept jpegs and tiffs. Maybe it’s different when you walk in but probably not. I’m not sure about whether you can use compression on tiffs or not … LZW. Is that lossless, I wonder.

"Bill Yowell" wrote in message
"CIL" wrote in message
Good evening,

cil
I took a CD-ROM into Wolf camera with a photograph saved in .psd, .tif and .jpg

The only file they could handle was .jpg

There are no dumb questions.

Bill Yowell
F
Fishface
Jul 12, 2006
CIL wrote:

A couple years back, I tried bringing a CDR to Walgreens. The Kodak machine refused to read it. It would only read a Kodak PictureCD. I brought the pictures back on a CF card and it would accept .jpg but not .tif. I haven’t been back lately, though.
V
V1nc3nt
Jul 12, 2006
A couple years back, I tried bringing a CDR to Walgreens. The Kodak machine refused to read it. It would only read a Kodak PictureCD. I brought the pictures back on a CF card and it would accept .jpg but not .tif. I haven’t been back lately, though.

Think lowest common denominator. If I NEED to print something, I’ll bring several versions on a variety of formats of media. Most places have improved lately, but TIFF is not mainstream for a camera, regardless. Imagine trying to print a RAW image?
RG
Roy G
Jul 12, 2006
"The Big "O"" wrote in message

Think lowest common denominator. If I NEED to print something, I’ll bring several versions on a variety of formats of media. Most places have improved lately, but TIFF is not mainstream for a camera, regardless. Imagine trying to print a RAW image?

Hi.

Tiff very certainly is mainstream for photographic files. Sensible photographers use it, because it is a lossless format, and can be used very easily across different operating systems.

It is not mainstream for the Point & Shoot Snapshotters, who don’t really know very much about photography, and happily accept Jpegs, and in many instances heavily compressed jpegs.

Most of the Supermarket type kiosks are designed for this type of user, who are not even aware that a 6 x 4 print requires their digital Camera file to be cropped by half an inch from 6 x 4.5.

Imagine having to have all the varieties of SW needed to convert RAW files to usable formats. RAW is strictly for Cameras and for saving as the Original Source Data .

Roy G
V
V1nc3nt
Jul 13, 2006
Tiff very certainly is mainstream for photographic files. Sensible photographers use it, because it is a lossless format, and can be used very easily across different operating systems.

It is not mainstream for the Point & Shoot Snapshotters, who don’t really know very much about photography, and happily accept Jpegs, and in many instances heavily compressed jpegs.

My point exactly!

Most of the Supermarket type kiosks are designed for this type of user, who are not even aware that a 6 x 4 print requires their digital Camera file to be cropped by half an inch from 6 x 4.5.

Imagine having to have all the varieties of SW needed to convert RAW files to usable formats. RAW is strictly for Cameras and for saving as the Original Source Data .

Same deal. Thanks for replying though – we agree!
AG
AKA gray asphalt
Jul 13, 2006
"Roy G" wrote in message

Hi.

Roy G

Walmart.com accepts Tiff. My ‘point and shoot’ Canon SD saves as tiff, and I do realize that 4×6 is not equal to 4.5×6. However, I haven’t figured out the 8×5 thing. : -) PS. I know you weren’t talking to me. Just having fun.
RG
Roy G
Jul 13, 2006
"AKA Gray Asphalt" wrote in message
"Roy G" wrote in message

Hi.

Roy G

Walmart.com accepts Tiff. My ‘point and shoot’ Canon SD saves as tiff, and I do realize that 4×6 is not equal to 4.5×6. However, I haven’t figured out the 8×5 thing. : -) PS. I know you weren’t talking to me. Just having fun.

Hi.

Fun is what this should all be about. Feel free to take the piss as much as you like. There is nothing better than a good wind up of some pompous old git, who thinks he knows more than he does, (Me).

I do realise that not everyone who uses a P & S knows nothing. BUT there are an awful lot of Joe’s out there who seem to be still living in the days of Box Brownies, but are actually using Digitals.

Roy G
AG
AKA gray asphalt
Jul 13, 2006
"Roy G" wrote in message
"AKA Gray Asphalt" wrote in message
"Roy G" wrote in message

Hi.

Roy G

Hi.

Fun is what this should all be about. Feel free to take the piss as much as you like. There is nothing better than a good wind up of some pompous old git, who thinks he knows more than he does, (Me).

I do realise that not everyone who uses a P & S knows nothing. BUT there are an awful lot of Joe’s out there who seem to be still living in the days of Box Brownies, but are actually using Digitals.

Roy G

It seems good to take high resolution pics with a good size border so that you can crop pics to a suitable size and still have a decent pic.
F
Fishface
Jul 13, 2006
AKA Gray Asphalt wrote:

My Kodak DC-290 would save to tiff. I used it when I wanted the absolute best quality and could edit it without loss. The files were big, even for a 2MP camera.

There is a program called JPEGCrops which will allow you to set the crop without loss from re-compressing the file. The photo lab software takes the crop right out of the middle, and this is not always desirable. I think it is easy to use, but it adds another step. I realize that PSE can do this, but not as easily and not losslessly, at least in my v.3.
http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/
AG
AKA gray asphalt
Jul 13, 2006
"Fishface" <?> wrote in message
AKA Gray Asphalt wrote:
Walmart.com accepts Tiff. My ‘point and shoot’ Canon SD saves as tiff, and I do realize that 4×6 is not equal to 4.5×6. However, I haven’t figured
out the 8×5 thing. : -) PS. I know you weren’t talking to me. Just having fun.

My Kodak DC-290 would save to tiff. I used it when I wanted the absolute best quality and could edit it without loss. The files were big, even for a 2MP
camera.

There is a program called JPEGCrops which will allow you to set the crop without loss from re-compressing the file. The photo lab software takes the
crop right out of the middle, and this is not always desirable. I think it is easy
to use, but it adds another step. I realize that PSE can do this, but not as easily
and not losslessly, at least in my v.3.
http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/

This sounds like a good program. Thanks.
M
Monica
Jul 18, 2006
As far as I know you can’t upload images to WM.com in bmp format but you CAN have that format printed in their store. I do it all the time. NEVER print jpgs if you’re really concerned about the quality of your photo. It’s a good format for sending on line but not for printing. Bmp isn’t the "best" but it’s much better (than jpg) and you don’t have to deal with those monster size files from saving in tiff format.
"CIL" wrote in message
Good evening,

cil
AG
AKA gray asphalt
Jul 19, 2006
"Monica" wrote in message
As far as I know you can’t upload images to WM.com in bmp format but you CAN have that format printed in their store. I do it all the time. NEVER print jpgs if you’re really concerned about the quality of your photo. It’s a good format for sending on line but not for printing. Bmp isn’t the "best" but it’s much better (than jpg) and you don’t have to deal with those monster size files from saving in tiff format.
"CIL" wrote in message
Good evening,

cil

High reslolution, low compression, jpegs are fine for printing, even at large sizes. It is all relative but the idea is to remove parts of a file that are not visible to the human eye. The resolution of your camera is just as important. You probably get jpegs from your camera, anyway. There are programs to crop and rotate jpegs without recompressing. Recompressing does hurt the quality but honestly I’ve never had a print, even at 17 x 22 from a high resolution jpeg that I wasn’t happy with. When you enlarge your photos use the highest setting on Photoshop which was ‘bicubic’ the last time I checked … has been for years but maybe there is something new, anyway. Goo luck.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections