D
Posted By
denvogel
Jun 8, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a decent color management primer available? I’ve been through the docs and help files for PE and my printer, as well as a third party digital photo book. They’re very basic, and don’t help much with making choices. My setup is pretty simple, but I’m not achieving the results I hoped for in matching what I see on screen with what the printer outputs. I can’t help but wonder if I have dualing-profiles somewhere, and don’t know if I’m going to get it resolved without going through it step-by-step.

SYSTEM INFO
PowerBook G4 12-inch 1.5GHz, 768MB RAM, 100GB Hard Drive Mac OS X (10.4.1)
Photoshop Elements v3
Epson R800 photo printer

CURRENT SETTINGS
Display System Pref I’m using "color LCD" profile, which is the default. (While it doesn’t make sense to me, I had read that on LCD it was best to use default provided by manufacturer rather than calibrate.)

Photoshop Elements General Prefs: Color Settings I’m using "Full Color Management"

Elements Print Preview dialog prefs:
* Source Space: Adobe RGB (1998)
* Print Space: SPR800 Prem Glossy BstPhoto.icc (this is from Epson and matches the paper I’m printing on)
* Intent: Relative Colorimetric For Elements print dialog prefs: * ColorSync: Color Conversion: Standard, Quartz Filter: None * Print Settings: Media Type: Premium Glossy Photo Paper, Color: Color, Mode: Advanced: Print Quality: Photo RPM finest detail, Gloss Optimizer: On (matches what I’m printing on)
* Color Management: ColorSync

I think that’s everything I’ve mucked with. FWIW-I’m printing out the Photodisc PDI Test Image. Thanks for any guidance.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

TM
Tom Murray 1
Jun 8, 2005
These are for full Photoshop but they might be helpful.
<http://www.russellbrown.com/images/tips_movies/(1)Photoshop%20CS%20Printing.mov>

<http://www.gballard.net/nca.html>
MD
malcolm_denton
Jun 8, 2005
Have a look at the following Apple document :

< http://images.apple.com/pro/pdf/Color_Management_in_Mac_OS_X .pdf>
D
denvogel
Jun 9, 2005
Thanks for the references. The gballard.net in particular was quite helpful. There were a couple of the options/prefs that don’t appear to be available to me in Elements or Mac OS 10.4.1
1. In Elements I don’t seem to have a way of setting "US Prepress Defaults" that he refers to in Section 2
2. In Colorsync control panel I don’t have "preferences" tab referred to in Section 4.

In general, it looks like I was doing the right things. The one exception I see right now was selecting "ColorSync" in my print Color Management preferences instead of "No Color Adjustment".
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 9, 2005
Hi, Denvogel. I don’t have Tiger so I can’t say about 2., but 1. is PS only–not in Elements.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections