Successful with Color Management? If so, how?

J
Posted By
JesusIsGod
Aug 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If you consistently and accurately print the colors you see on your monitor, how do you do it? What product stack are you using? I’d like to learn what successful color managers are doing to get desired results.

Here is my stack:

Camera: Minolta Dimage A2
Computer/operating system: Dell / WindowsXP
Monitor: Dell FP1700
Type of monitor (CRT/flat panel): Flat panel
Calibration Tool: Spyder w/ OptiCAL, PhotoCAL
Software: Elements 2.0
Printer: HP DeskJet 6122, Epson Stylus Photo 825
Custom profile (Yes/No): No
if yes, which brand/provider:
Ink: HP or Epson off the shelf
Paper: Kodak Ultima for HP printer; Epson Glossy for Epson

Useful tips / workflow suggestions that helped you get what you see on the monitor: Try and try again. Even then it doesn’t always work.

Anything I’m missing, please feel free to add.

Thanks a lot,
Robert Ash

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

PA
Patti Anderson
Aug 16, 2004
Camera: Olympus C-5050Z and C-4000Z (default color space for both cameras is sRGB, but I have IgnoreExif installed/on)

Computer/OS: Compaq Presario X1010/WindowsXP Home
Laptop w/ Mobility Radeon 9200

Calibration Tool: None (I did save a monitor profile using Adobe Gamma, i.e. I went through the steps w/o making any changes and saved this with a unique name-date)

Software: Elements 2.0 and Photoshop CS

Printer: Epson Stylus C82

Custom profile: No, using the default Epson profile manually set by me (EE205_1) Haven’t tried anything else since this works!
Ink: Epson only

Paper: Epson Heavyweight Matte and Epson Glossy Photopaper

I use the Matte paper about 90% of the time. Although the last box I bought the paper seemed much thinner — not too heavyweight if you ask me. The Epson Glossy photo paper scratches much too easy and I discovered it also collects my hubby’s pipe smoke! Also with the C82 there’s a noticeable bronzing on the glossy paper which I do not like, so currently I only use the glossy for giveaway 6" x 4" prints.

Best results to date for color prints — and I have done extensive testing — when printing from Elements, Color Management on, Source space set to Adobe RGB and my Print space is set to my monitor profile. Color is beautiful and just a tad darker than the screen image, but I consider that little bit the difference between screen and ink. In the C82 properties (advanced mode) I change the paper type, set on Best Photo, turn off High Speed printing and check ICM box. Since I can save my settings in Epson properties, I’ve done this, so it’s just one click on a drop down list now.

I’m saving my pennies (make that dollars) for the Epson R800. Once I have that, I’ll graduate to Ilford papers. But meanwhile, I get some d__ good photos from this C82. Since I have Photoshop CS now I’ve become obsessed with Duotones, Tritones and Quadratones I’ve gotten some gorgeous selenium prints. I’ve read so much on color management that my head hurts and I still don’t understand it, but at least I found something that works for me.

I do hope some others share their workflow too. I’m always open for change if I discover something new. ๐Ÿ™‚

Patti
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Aug 16, 2004
Patti,
How did you determine the native color space of your Olympus cameras? Ken
PA
Patti Anderson
Aug 16, 2004
It’s in the EXIF information. There are several ways you can view that info. You can view it in Windows Explorer by right-clicking on the photo file, on the Summary tab click on Advanced. look for the ColorSpace or Color Management listing.

In Elements open the photo and in File menu>File Info. You can also view by opening via the File Browser.

Patti
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 16, 2004
Patti,

Thanks, this is very helpful. Will try those particular settings and see if they work.

Incidentally, my Epson Stylus Photo 825 give a slight brown-green cast, that may be the same as your bronze cast, not sure.

Robert
PA
Patti Anderson
Aug 16, 2004
my Epson Stylus Photo 825 give a slight brown-green cast, that may be the same as your bronze cast, not sure.

Actually, bronzing is sort of a holographic type effect where the ink is thick and seems to lay more on the surface in heavily saturated dark areas of the printed photo. It’s a very noticeable problem when you print small 4" x 6" prints on glossy paper. Not a problem on the Heavyweight Matte paper.

Patti
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 16, 2004
Patti,
I’ve seen that a lot trying out aftermarket glossy papers. In fact, the Kodak papers gave me the most problems that way. I soon gave them to my wife for her HP 1115, and I went back to Epson Papers ( now Ilford, too. )

๐Ÿ™‚

Brent
PA
Patti Anderson
Aug 16, 2004
Brent, I see it more on my small prints on Epson Glossy photo paper. I just attributed it to the dense areas on the small sizes. I haven’t tried this yet, but I’m wondering if I would get less bronzing if I create a separate file with lower ppi to print my 4" x 6"’s. Might be worth a try.

Patti
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 16, 2004
Might also work to use "glossy film" as a paper setting. That generally deposits less ink.

๐Ÿ™‚

Brent
M
Markeau
Aug 17, 2004
I found this Canon ICC Profiles pdf interesting …
R
resthome
Aug 17, 2004
Camera: Nikon D70 color mode set for II Adobe RGB (default color space for cameras is sRGB) RAW

Computer/OS: Dell 8250 WindowsXP Professional
Monitor Dell 1901FP running in Digital Mode off 128 DDR ATI Radeon 9700 Pro Video Card

Calibration Tool: Monitor profile using Adobe Gamma, went through the steps starting with the default Dell 1901FP.ICC profile

Software: Elements 2.0

Printer: Epson Stylus R300

Pinter Color Management Profile – AdobeRGB1998

Custom profile: No

Ink: Epson 6 colors

Paper: Epson – Glossy Photo 6 x 4 / Epson – Prem Glossy Photo 8 1/2 x 11

Epson Driver – Epson Color Printing System V 5.41 Settings – Advance

Paper & Quality Options
Glossy Photo Paper / Premium Glossy Photo Paper
Photo RPM
High Speed On
Super MicoroWeave Off
Edge Smoothing On

Color Management
ICM -On
No Color Adjustment -Off

Photoshop Elements 2

Color Settings – Full color management – optimized for Print Nikon Viewer 6.2.2 RAW Plug-In converter for Photoshop Elements 2

Print Preview – Show More Options – On
Color Management
Source Space – Document Source Profile: Nikon Adobe RGB 4.0.0.3000 Print Space Profile – Printer Color Management

Color is beautiful and matches the screen image to my eye.
M
Markeau
Aug 17, 2004
http://www.qualiteitems.com/canon.pdf

Markeau wrote:
I found this Canon ICC Profiles pdf interesting …
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 17, 2004
wow, these are really helpful workflow descriptions. real keepers.
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 17, 2004
RestHome,

Actually, looks like you have almost exactly the same setup as I do.

Your monitor is the 19" Dell while I have the 17" Dell (those should match, isn’t that monitor absolutely beautiful????).

….and your printer is a different model but same brand, Epson. Paper is the same, too.

Plus I just set my Minolta Dimage A2 color space to Adobe RGB recently as well.

I’m going to try your printer settings and see if those work. Will try Patti’s settings as well and let you both know.

Hopefully other participants will keep posting their solution stacks as well.

Thanks again,
Robert
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Aug 17, 2004
Patti,

Thanks for the information. I use Elements v.1, and when I look in File>File info. there appears only part of the Exif info. In Windows Explorer the entire thing shows up!

I have Olympus c-750uz and now I know that the color space is sRGB. The camera’s manual and the specs on the Olympus site are silent as to this.-

You state:…I have IgnoreExif installed/on
I do not see a menu in the camera for this option. Does this, then, refer to the download from the Adobe site?

This thread is most instructive.

Ken
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 17, 2004
Ken,
The download for the IgnoreEXIF utility is at < http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=4 0&platform=Windows> .
The real issue with EXIF colorspace data is that it may be a LIE ( probably is ! ) You shouldn’t take it very seriously. The EXIF tag placed by a camera is just an approximation. It is not nearly as accurate as imbedding a colorspace in the image file . Most cameras have a greater color gamut than the sRGB space. What that gamut is, though , is not precisely defined. Many people, myself included, ignore the EXIF colorspace as just a distortion and do quite well without it. More current info in this thread, <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.3bb57819> . See post #13 more recent developments in EXIF.

By the way, Elements Version 1 is based on Photoshop 6 and does not honor the EXIF colorspace, so you don’t need to Ignore it.
There is a review of a camera profiling utility at < http://www.computer-darkroom.com/incamera-pi/incamera-pi.htm> which may help enlighten you on some of the camera issues. Happy reading .

๐Ÿ™‚

Brent
E
E._Gary_Heaton
Aug 17, 2004
For anyone really wishing to get into the subject of color management, this is a HARD BOOK TO BEAT. It delves into many aspects of color management from input and output devices, to workflow, as well as some of the things that few of us even think about when setting up our systems. (Such as room wall color, room lighting, and even what your wearing at the time of evaluating your finished product.)
I found it to be a very valuable book myself, and I recommend it to anyone wishing to get the most out of their digital printing set up. And best of all, it wont bore you to death with a lot of tech mumbo jumbo.
"Real World Color Management"
by Bruce Fraser, Fred Bunting, Chris Murphy
Price: $34.99
I know Amazon has it in stock, and has free shipping on it as well. I bought it when it first came out, and found it WELL WORTH the money I spent for it. Good luck all,
Gary~*
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 17, 2004
Gary,

Sounds interesting. Are you able to consistently get your printer to print the same colors that are displayed on your monitor? If so, what stack of products are you using? Did the book help you pick the right ones?

Robert
LK
Leen_Koper
Aug 18, 2004
My colourmanagement set up has been done pretty easy.
I calibrate my monitor (LaCie 19") twice a month with the Spyder, so I know that is OK. I never go for the cheapest, but the one who delivers the best service, so when I bought my printer, I had them custom profile it exactly for the paper I mainly use. No problems.

The only problem I have is with my RIP software, but that is a different story.

Leen
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 18, 2004
Leen,

Thanks.

What kind of printer, ink and paper do you use?

Also, who did your custom profile?

You shoot a D70 camera, correct?

Robert
LK
Leen_Koper
Aug 18, 2004
Robert,

Camera: Fuji S2 Pro; next one will probably be the Fuji S3 Pro. Printer: Epson 7600 24" large format printer
Profiling: by the company that sold me the printer and sells me inks and paper. Inks: Epson, 7x 220ml
Paper: custom, Epson and Hahnemรผhle German Etching fine art paper

Leen
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 23, 2004
Leen,

One final question: Like Patti and RestHome, are there any Elements2 workflow or printer settings that you find useful in matching your monitor colors with your printed colors?

Robert

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections