S
Posted By
sdg1
Dec 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
need to know how to stop color shifts when transfering files between graphics programs. when trying to export .bmp and .eps files from corel draw graphics suite 11 build sp1, and then open them in photoshop 7.0.1, the color shifts dramatically, ie.. the red turns to magenta, blue turns to cyan, sometimes there will be 2 reds, one is magenta other is pink, i am exporting using rgb, not cmyk, and have tried to embed icc profiles, also tried to setup color management on corel, and photoshop, only to find it causes a sharing violation in corel, because i assume, photoshop is accessing the same monitor profile i chose in corel.

really need an explination of what the icc profile is used for, and color profiles, and color management. if you do that, i might be able to figure it out on my own. it seems to me that there are too many different systems out there and i need to understand them.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BB
brent_bertram
Dec 10, 2003
Man , you want a lot in a little reply. I’ve been following color management for about 6 or 7 years now, and there’s no easy answer. You’ll need to do a lot of homework , and frequent places where color management is talked about ( like the color management forum, for example ).

Here are a couple links to get you started. You should read everything that anyone has to say ( sometimes you’ll see contradictions ) , and you’ll percieve the common thread. Color management is actually easier to DO than to explain, because once your DOING it , you only have to worry about your own calibrations and the devices you’re dealing with ( this limits your variables a little ).

<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/> – Ian Lyons’ site , you should read everything that looks like it pertains to color management.

<http://www.normankoren.com/color_management.html> – Norman Koren’s fine photography site. He has a lot of stuff !

Search on the web for "Andrew Rodney" and "Bruce Frasier" . You’ll find things you can use .

Mostly , you’ve got to get into it, because it’s a big subject and it’s probably never going to be perfectly implemented , so there’ll never be a final answer, only the ongoing process.

🙂

Brent
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Dec 10, 2003
Real World Color Managment has a section on colour mgt in CorelDraw and Photoshop and discusses the best techniques to use with each.
L
LenHewitt
Dec 11, 2003
Sdg1,

The numbers in an image file do not represent specific colours. For example, 100R, 0G, 0B just means "make the brightest, most saturated red you can". It doesn’t mean a specific SHADE of red, and the red that will result will depend upon the capabilities of the device the data is being sent to (usually either a monitor or printer of some sort).

Only when coupled with an ICC profile that describes the ‘colour space’ do those numbers represent a specific shade.

If it helps you in any way here is my short "idiot’s guide to CM" <g>

There is data in a file. That data doesn’t represent specific colours UNTIL the colour space is stated (embedded profile or assign profile).

The working profile sets up the colour space you are working in, and the embedded profile allows the CM engine to convert the file data values to your working space values so those values still represent the same colour as originally indicated by the file data and embedded profile.

The monitor profile alters that data from your working space on the fly to allow the monitor to display the colours represented by the data within the working space profile.

When you print, the output profile alters the data to allow the printer to reproduce the colours represented by the data and the image profile.

The monitor profile effectively drops out of the equation when you print.

Provided the ‘translation’ from working space to monitor is correct AND the translation from working space to output device is correct, the print will match the monitor.

However, only if the translation from embedded profile to working space is also correct will the monitor and print also match the original file intentions.

For a fuller explanation, spend some 15 minutes or so over at http://www.computer-darkroom.com
B
Brian
Dec 11, 2003
Real World Color Managment…

A wonderful book, IMO, highly recommended for anyone who is even remotely serious in regaqrds to learning about and adopting a color managed workflow.

Brian

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections