Posted By
Alexander Gro
Jan 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi everybody,

I have some questions about (non-professional) color management with Photoshop.

My configuration:
– Photoshop 7.0.1 on Windows XP,
– ICM Profiles for the printer (Epson Stylus C84) and my monitor (EIZO L885),
– CM set to L885 for RGB working space,
– A digital proof for the C84 printer created with the C84 .icm-file. – Printing to color space of the C84 is enabled in PS.
– In the options dialog of my printer I set color management to Windows’ own ICM. The driver should not perform Epson’s own PhotoEnhance or something like that.

I’ve read the chapter about CM in the PS manual but couldn’t get a clue why this does not work:
– I created a new CMYK image in PS and painted three distinct areas of _clean_ cyan, magenta and yellow.
– A black area (K:100%, C: 60%, M, Y: 50%) was added, too. – When I enable "Gamut warning" (See menu "View" -> third item. Please correct me if this menu item is named differently in english versions – mine is localized to german.), the cyan and yellow area turn gray as if the printer isn’t able to print them correctly. It’s a little confusing: A CMYK printer isn’t able to print clean CMYK in separated areas? When I print the test image, PS remains right: C, M and Y are not printed as displayed. C turns blue and M turns red. Y is yellow, but spotted with little M and C ink dots as some kind of diffuse dithering was applied. So yellow is printed a little darker than displayed. The white area ouside the colored is not white, but also slightly spotted with cyan.
I don’t understand what PS and/or Windows’ ICM does. Is the CMYK image converted back into RGB and then sent to the printer? Is is better to use RGB images at all?

Also, my pictures are printed a little darker than displayed on the monitor (with digital proof turned on).

Another question. Which monitor color temperature is the best for digital imaging? I’ve read about 5000K, but all the white areas seem to be a little red-biased when my monitor’s color temperature is set to this value.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Alex

X-Post, F’Up set to adobe.photoshop.windows

Alexander Gro

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Rick
Jan 17, 2004
"Alexander Gro
J
JSH
Jan 18, 2004
Hi Alexander

Colour mangement in PS is awful

Try www.aim-dtp.net which may help. It worked for me, bt some of the geeks here think that Timo is a geek too. I’m just an amateur photographer so don’t really know. Another site is www.inkjetart.com/custom which may enable you to calibrate your Epson from the monitor

Best of luck. I’m moving increasingly to Paint shop Pro which doesn’t have these problems

JSH

"Alexander Gro
F
Flycaster
Jan 19, 2004
"J S Harris" wrote in message
Hi Alexander

Colour mangement in PS is awful

Try www.aim-dtp.net which may help. It worked for me, bt some of the geeks here think that Timo is a geek too. I’m just an amateur photographer so don’t really know. Another site is www.inkjetart.com/custom which may
enable
you to calibrate your Epson from the monitor

Best of luck. I’m moving increasingly to Paint shop Pro which doesn’t have these problems

Nice try.

—–= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =—– http://www.newsfeeds.com – The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! —–== Over 100,000 Newsgroups – 19 Different Servers! =—–
K
KenP
Jan 19, 2004
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 00:33:02 +0100, "Alexander Groß" wrote:

Hi everybody,

I have some questions about (non-professional) color management with Photoshop.

My configuration:
– Photoshop 7.0.1 on Windows XP,
– ICM Profiles for the printer (Epson Stylus C84) and my monitor (EIZO L885),
– CM set to L885 for RGB working space,
– A digital proof for the C84 printer created with the C84 .icm-file. – Printing to color space of the C84 is enabled in PS.
– In the options dialog of my printer I set color management to Windows’ own ICM. The driver should not perform Epson’s own PhotoEnhance or something like that.

I’ve read the chapter about CM in the PS manual but couldn’t get a clue why this does not work:
– I created a new CMYK image in PS and painted three distinct areas of _clean_ cyan, magenta and yellow.
– A black area (K:100%, C: 60%, M, Y: 50%) was added, too.

What’s all this CMYK business? Your printer is expecting RGB files; it does all necessary conversion internally.

– When I enable "Gamut warning" (See menu "View" -> third item. Please correct me if this menu item is named differently in english versions – mine is localized to german.), the cyan and yellow area turn gray as if the printer isn’t able to print them correctly. It’s a little confusing: A CMYK printer isn’t able to print clean CMYK in separated areas? When I print the test image, PS remains right: C, M and Y are not printed as displayed. C turns blue and M turns red. Y is yellow, but spotted with little M and C ink dots as some kind of diffuse dithering was applied. So yellow is printed a little darker than displayed. The white area ouside the colored is not white, but also slightly spotted with cyan.
I don’t understand what PS and/or Windows’ ICM does. Is the CMYK image converted back into RGB and then sent to the printer? Is is better to use RGB images at all?
There has always been controversy regarding how best to deal with colors that are indicated as "out of gamut." One way to do this is to allow the selection to occur, then desaturate the areas about 10 percent, then go back and do it over and over until everything "passes." Some claim you should progressively desaturate the whole image, but that’s not right either. It’s not something you’d want to have to do for a big pile of images. Does anyone have a better and/or more effective way to do this?

Also, my pictures are printed a little darker than displayed on the monitor (with digital proof turned on).

Another question. Which monitor color temperature is the best for digital imaging? I’ve read about 5000K, but all the white areas seem to be a little red-biased when my monitor’s color temperature is set to this value.
Thanks for your help in advance,

Alex

X-Post, F’Up set to adobe.photoshop.windows
F
Flycaster
Jan 19, 2004
"KenP" wrote in message
There has always been controversy regarding how best to deal with colors that are indicated as "out of gamut." One way to do this is to allow the selection to occur, then desaturate the areas about 10 percent, then go back and do it over and over until everything "passes." Some claim you should progressively desaturate the whole image, but that’s not right either. It’s not something you’d want to have to do for a big pile of images. Does anyone have a better and/or more effective way to do this?

If you are converting to a printer profile and will let Adobe CMS run the show, probably the easiest solution is to choose Perceptual rendering, rather than RelCo. That will force everything into the gamut of the profile while maintaining the perceptual (visual) relationship between the colors. Not always, but usually it will result in a slight "flattening" that can be corrected with a simple contrast curve prior to sending the file to the printer.

—–= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =—– http://www.newsfeeds.com – The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! —–== Over 100,000 Newsgroups – 19 Different Servers! =—–

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections