Posted By
Tony_Tx
Oct 15, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Running under WinXP, 4GB RAM, nVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT with latest drivers:

The image display in CS4 is acting as if it were not color-aware.

Example: I open a file in which is in the ProPhoto RGB color space (and has that profile embedded) and the colors are not displayed correctly (muted and low contrast) — the same appearance as opening such a file in a non-ICC-aware app like a browser.

Soft-proofing to sRGB does not change the appearance: colors are still wrong.

Converting to sRGB does not change the appearance while still in the dialog box — even with Preview toggled on.

But upon executing the conversion to sRGB, the colors then appear correct — again, as would be expected from a non-ICC-aware app.

CS3 running on the same system does not have this problem.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

TT
Tony_Tx
Oct 15, 2008
FWIW, colors appear OK in Bridge.
TT
Tony_Tx
Oct 15, 2008
Weirder yet: the checkbox settings in "Preferences – Performance – Enable OpenGL drawing – Advanced Settings" don’t appear sticky … but after I toggled "Advanced Drawing," and "Color Matching" once, color management appears now to be working.
M
Mylenium
Oct 15, 2008
I think you answered your own question – OpenGL always operates in sRGB under the hood, so it may require extra steps to get proper color profile handling. I’m not sure what you are meaning by "not sticky", though. If the settings disable themselves, it would point to an incompatible setting in your graphics card. In these cases PS will disable the options for safety reasons. You can force-enable some of them, though. So this may be worth some investigating. If the problem persists, you may need to add some registry key to improve compatibility with older graphics cards (which your one probably is in Adobe’s view, even if it sounds ridiculous). Let us know.

Mylenium
TT
Tony_Tx
Oct 15, 2008
Mylenium: Thanks for the info.

Am I correct that OpenGL working in sRGB "under the hood" has no effect on the nuts-and-bolts of how CS4 is doing color management? I wouldn’t want to think I’m working in ProPhoto RGB, but by virtue of enabling OpenGL I’m really clipping the working-space gamut to sRGB.
TT
Tony_Tx
Oct 15, 2008
Update: upon closing and re-opening CS4, CS4 announced it had detected a problem with my graphics driver, and disabled GPU enhancements.

Now color management looks OK … but it would be nice to have CS4 support my graphics card, though.
SG
steve_guilhamet
Oct 16, 2008
Hi Tony,

Is this XP64 or XP32? If it is XP64 then you will need a a forcing reg key to enable GL drawing.

Here a KB article that may help:

<http://www.adobe.com/go/kb404898>

It sounds like you may have been getting CM from the GPU and not the CPU.
TT
Tony_Tx
Oct 16, 2008
Steve: Thanks for the info.

I’m running XP32, with a supported GPU (nVIDIA 7600 256MB) and drivers just downloaded from nVIDIA … yet CS4 reports a problem with the GPU, and disables it upon starting.

Sigh.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 17, 2008
Tony – then you’ll need to contact NVidia and ask them to fix the driver..

As for your display color management: we haven’t seen that. That sounds a lot like your display profile is wrong, but I’m not sure why it differs from CS3.

Could you check your color settings in Photoshop and for the display again?
SG
steve_guilhamet
Oct 17, 2008
Tony – Did you try reseting your prefs. at launch? Can you confirm in XP that the video driver installed correctly?
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 17, 2008
Nice to see you guys are looking after the initial queries on CS4. It’s very welcome!

(And what a great new release it is!) 🙂
KG
Kevan_G
Oct 17, 2008
I had the same error message (GPU enhancements disabled). I’m running Vista 32bit with Nvidia 7950GT. I went to the Nvidia web site and found an updated driver released on 15_10_2008 (same day as CS4)is this coincidental? I reactivated GPU from preferences and so far all is well.
CF
chris_farrell
Oct 17, 2008
I’m, not so patiently, waiting for my CS4 to be delivered today…..c’mon UPS!!!!….and this has made me wondering how the gpu colour management relates to aRGB and hardware calibrated monitors ( i.e my Eizo301W bypasses the gpu LUT ) I rarely use sRGB as all my output goes to print.

I should probably wait and see for myself but I can’t help myself.

Chris
CF
chris_farrell
Oct 17, 2008
It’s fine with an Eizo hardware calibrated monitor.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 17, 2008
Same here.
TT
Tony_Tx
Oct 17, 2008
to Chris Cox:

"Tony – then you’ll need to contact NVidia and ask them to fix the driver.."

I’ll be happy to do so — but to be effective in getting nVIDIA to accept responsibility for this problem, may I ask where you believe nVIDIA has done something which needs fixing?

a) Is there a relevant industry standard to which you believe nVIDIA is failing to comply?

b) Is there some specification published by nVIDIA to which you believe nVIDIA is failing to comply?

c) Is there any documentation published by Adobe (e.g., design guidelines for graphics cards manufacturers to assist them in making Photoshop-compatible products) to which you believe nVIDIA is failing to comply?

d) Are there specific generally-accepted good software engineering practices to which you believe nVIDIA is failing to comply?

"As for your display color management: we haven’t seen that. That sounds a lot like your display profile is wrong, but I’m not sure why it differs from CS3.

Could you check your color settings in Photoshop and for the display again?"

These look right to me. Are there any specific settings you’d like me to report?
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 17, 2008
Tony – CS4 "reports a problem with the GPU and disables GPU support". You just told us why you need to contact NVidia, then you ask why you should contact them? Call Nvidia, tell them exactly what you reported here. The more people that report the problem, the more quickly it will be addressed (we don’t have your exact machine, card and driver to reproduce it, so we can’t help them narrow down the cause as well as you can).

As for color: you are seeing a problem that the rest of us are not seeing. I don’t know what setting it could be or how to help direct you more than I already have. If the problem were reproduceable, then maybe I could help more.
TT
Tony_Tx
Oct 18, 2008
Chris:

"CS4 reports a problem with the GPU and disables GPU support". You just told us why you need to contact NVidia, then you ask why you should contact them?"

To me, that CS4 reports a problem with the GPU is not objective proof that there is a problem *with the GPU.* It is proof only that *CS4 has a problem* with the GPU.

Unless, of course, CS4 is accepted as the instrument by which the quality of the GPU will be measured. Given the importance of Photoshop in the graphics industry, this may well be the case.

"… we can’t help them narrow down the cause as well as you can)."

I interpret this to mean that you believe nVIDIA has all the responsibility for addressing this incompatibility, and Adobe has none. This makes sense to me if we accept that CS4 is a de facto specification to which nVIDIA must comply.

Is my interpretation correct?
SK
Stefan_Klein
Oct 20, 2008
If I turn "Color Matching" in the "advanced options" off I don`t have colormanagement at all (like Tony). But if I turn it on (and reopen the picture to see the effect)I get a slight banding in a black to white gradient. I do not get banding in CS3.
Geforce 8600GT/512MB newest driver, Vista 32 bit/4GB.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 21, 2008
Tony – in this case, yes.
JM
Juan_Manuel_Camacho
Jan 9, 2009
Hello, I pass the same, initially told me that the color profile of the monitor was defective so that you reinstall the updated drivers monitor. After that came the message of

"Adobe Photoshop CS4 now includes graphics acceleration card. We recommend you visit your video card manufacturer’s Web site to download and install the latest drivers."

and so I did. I downloaded the drivers from Nvidia page and installed, but then I left a notice saying

"Photoshop has encountered a problem with the display driver, and has temporarily disable GPU enhancements. Check the video card manufacturer’s website for the latest software"

I have an Nvidia 7900 GTX 512. Drivers downloaded from the Nvidia page 2 December 2008
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 9, 2009
Did you have a question?

The error message does mean what it says – your video card driver has a problem, and because of that Photoshop had to disable GPU acceleration. The only solution to that is an updated driver from the manufacturer.
CF
chris_farrell
Jan 9, 2009
Juan, nVidia have just released a new driver (08 jan 09) try that and see if it helps.
DB
DeeAnne_Beckford
Jan 16, 2009
ok I’ve downloaded the drivers and as far as i’m aware they have been installed correctly. When i got back into Adobe it will not let me enable GPU. Can someone please help me? I’m getting really frustrated! Thank you!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections