Jul 31, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using an Espon Stylus Photo RX600
InDesignCS 3.0.1
PhotoShop 8.0

I continually struggle with color when printing scanned images or images off of a camera card into PhotoShop and/or InDesign, and with the warning messages (upon opening) for tagged or untagged photos,

Are the dialog box choices regarding printing choices for newer versions of PS and ID more user-friendly regarding color management choices, hence I would be better off upgrading strictly for that purpose?

I’m using a PowerBook,
Step 1 instructions from a post in this forum suggest calibration first. have calibrated my monitor. I have a name for the calibrated color settings and can call them up in Color Settings before I open the photo in Color.

step 2 advice in an earlier post reads :
dont apply double profiling, let the application, Photoshop Cs in my case, handle the colour management and make sure no colour adjustment is checked in the printer driver, this is located in the colour management section of a drop down menu.

this advice, step 2, is hard to follow because I do not know which phrase/choices in the dialog boxes refer to letting the SOFTWARE handle the printing and which refer to letting the PRINTER handle the printing. Either workflow would work fine. The Epson has wonderful capabilities when I get it managed correctly.

I have repeatedly tried to use a workflow by Ballard but can’t interpret the advice similar to "step 2" above in tandem with the opening choices for untagged photos.

A single workflow would be great, but I need a solution that works no matter what the source of my photo (scanner, camera card being the most frequently used, I use an Olympus digital and a Casio digital).

Thanks for any advice. Right now I’d just like to hit my printer with a rock, but I doubt that would solve anything.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

GB
g_ballard
Jul 31, 2008
this advice, step 2, is hard to follow

That is the easiest, step 2: Setup Photoshop Color Management System.

In CS/PS 8, set: "US Prepress Defaults" (for now) and close out

I would also start you out from the ground up:
<http://www.gballard.net/psd/cmstheory.html>

Make sure you also fully understand:
<http://www.gballard.net/psd/assignconvert.html>

ALWAYS Honor the embedded profile first…
CB
charles badland
Jul 31, 2008
have calibrated my monitor. I have a name for the calibrated color settings and can call them up in Color Settings before I open the photo in Color.

What? Don’t choose your monitor profile in your Color Settings. Use a general default or prepress. That will get you into a standard editing space, like AdobeRGB or sRGB (AdobeRGB is the better choice for printing)

As far as step 2, have a look at a Russell Brown video on printing from Photoshop CS to Epson 2200 (different, but should help you out. It’s WAY down near the bottom of his QT videos)
<http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html>
L
Lundberg02
Jul 31, 2008
Please follow g ballards advice. You must understand first before you click. You NEVER USE the monitor profile except for the monitor itself. Hopefully you calibrated your monitor with an actual calibrator, which one was it?
The Epson will give you what you need and want if you actually know what you’re doing. There’s a lot to understand, but it will become second nature once you follow the steps.

It appears that you don’t understand calibration, color spaces, profiles, rendering intent, device dependence, and output.

You haven’t given any system specs. Why are you using Indesign 3 and PS 8? Where is PS 10?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections