color management / monitor calibration problem …NEED HELP PLEASE!

JG
Posted By
james_glasgow
Jul 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using PSE2, windows xp. Recently I swithced to "limited color management" in PSE b/c I need to save files with sRGB profiles. Right away I noticed all my whites in PSE looked pink. Used Adobe Gamma to calibrate monitor and saved settings. Now everytime I restart computer I have to recalibrate the monitor too. I tried remove/reinstall PSE and updating video drivers. Now I have to recalibrate at least once a day, and it doesn’t always fix the problem! Is this a problem with my monitor, my computer, or PSE? I have no idea how to fix this, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

edited to add: I noticed when I reinstalled PSE that I got and error message "the monitor profile Coloreal ICM is defective"

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

AP
Andy_Pattie
Jul 18, 2004
Hi, I’m new this this forum and have a problem that I hope someone could tell me the trouble. I’ve taken several hundred pictures and downloaded to the computer and in the past opened them up on elements with no problems. Today I went to open up some and everything (Pictures) had a greenish yellow cast to them. When I go and open the file the thumbnails look fine but when you click on a picture you see this color cast. Any ideas??
BB
brent_bertram
Jul 18, 2004
James,
Obviously something is wrong ! <G> Once you run the Adobe Gamma utility and create a custom profile, that profile should be loaded at boot time by means of the Adobe Gamma Loader.exe file , located in the startup folder. You might read Ian Lyons’ tutorial on profiling a monitor and see if you left out any steps, <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_2.htm> . Then I’d check to make sure your "custom named profile" is indeed associated with the display using the control panel and Display properties. Next make sure that in the All Users startup group is a shortcut to Adobe Gamma Loader.exe .

When you boot Windows , at some point the Adobe Gamma loader.exe file executes and you’ll see your screen change as the LUT table of your video card is loaded .

Try again, by the numbers , and don’t forget to rename your custom profile to a personal name of some sort. I use my initials and the date ( e.g. brb071804.icm ) .

🙂

Brent
JG
james_glasgow
Jul 18, 2004
Brent- first of all thanks for your response and trying to help. secondly, any other suggestions?
I actually just checked out that tutorial yesterday after someone suggested that link as a good starting point. Went through it again step by step to make sure I didn’t miss anything.
The shortcut to Adobe Gamma Loader.exe is in the All Users startup folder. New custom profile created and saved with personalinfo (namedate.icm) After restarting computer I’m back where I started with this problem and have to go back through all the steps on the tutorial. I’ve done it so many times recently that it really doesn’t take long but is a PITA.
Is there some reason that the new profile I’ve made isn’t the default on startup?
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 18, 2004
On 18/07/04 16:00, in article ,
"" wrote:

Hi, I’m new this this forum and have a problem that I hope someone could tell me the trouble. I’ve taken several hundred pictures and downloaded to the computer and in the past opened them up on elements with no problems. Today I went to open up some and everything (Pictures) had a greenish yellow cast to them. When I go and open the file the thumbnails look fine but when you click on a picture you see this color cast. Any ideas??
Andy,

Your question was answered in its dedicated thread.

Ray
BB
brent_bertram
Jul 18, 2004
James,
Are you logged in with Admin rights ? That alone could be a problem if you’re not. Check to make sure that the profile you created is the only one associated with your display. You should be able to run the Adobe Gamma Loader.exe file manually and then it would load the LUT , as well , not just at startup. As to why the profile wouldn’t be the default, I haven
t the foggiest. It should be the only profile associated with your display.

😕

Brent
JG
james_glasgow
Jul 19, 2004
Brent –
I’m sorry I’m not sure I understand you completely.
"Are you logged in with Admin rights ?" I’m logged in the same way I always have, it’s just my home computer, my wife and I are the only users, no restrictions.
"Check to make sure that the profile you created is the only one associated with your display. You should be able to run the Adobe Gamma Loader.exe file manually… " HOw do I check that mine is the only one associated with the display? And how do I run the loader manually?
sorry for having to ask stupid questions 🙂 I really appreciate your help
NS
Nancy_S
Jul 19, 2004
James,

To check for the monitor profile being used— right click on an empty spot on your desktop>choose properties>click the Settings tab>click the Advanced button>click the Color Management tab. This will show you which profile is being loaded.
JG
james_glasgow
Jul 19, 2004
Nancy,
I feel like I’m moving in the right direction (again) toward solving this problem. Right click on desktop>properties>settings>…color management. I had to change the profile to the new one I created, and I then set this as the default. Restart computer…..profile loaded is always the other one, not my new one. My new profile shows up as an available one to be associated with the monitor, and I can select it (hey at least I don’t have to keep recalibrating!) but when I set it as the default it doesn’t *stay* set as the default. does this make sense? can it be fixed?
thanks again for all the help
BB
brent_bertram
Jul 19, 2004
James,
I would delete the profile that is a problem from your hard drive ( or , at least, move it to a different location. The location should be :

Windows 2000 and XP – sub-folder named system32/spool/drivers/color

I only want ONE profile associated with your display , the one you created in Adobe Gamma. Perhaps then, there will be no choice but for XP to use it as the default.

😕

Brent
PA
Patti Anderson
Jul 19, 2004
I don’t know a lot about this color management stuff, but I do recognize that Coloreal name. Coloreal is a calibration software like Adobe Gamma. Could it be that James has both going and they are trying to cancel other out? You have to use either Coloreal or Adobe Gamma but not both, right?

Please forgive me if I am barking up the wrong tree, but I’ve been thinking about buying Coloreal, so the name popped out at me.

Patti
BB
brent_bertram
Jul 19, 2004
James,
I’m suspicious that perhaps your video card utilities/drivers have installed the coloreal.icm and continue to use it on bootup. You have have to uninstall any auxiliary video software that came with the card, other than the video driver itself, but we’ll have to wait and see if thats necessary.

🙁

Brent
NS
Nancy_S
Jul 19, 2004
James,

Glad you are making progress, don’t become frustrated, it will come together for you. Brent’s suggestion sounds like a good one to me, let us know how it worked out for you. When you have questions, don’t hesitate to post on this forum, someone is sure to help you.

Nancy
JG
james_glasgow
Jul 19, 2004
closer, …but not quite there. here’s what I’ve done:
1) Display settings>properties>settings>advanced>color management removed the offensive default setting so that myprofile is set as the default and is the only one on the list.
2) system32/spool/drivers/color moved the file to another folder in MyDocuments. restarted computer….everything looks great! Except that out of curiousity I checked display settings…my profile is still listed as default but the original one is back on the list. When I restart again I’m back where I started. The original default is the default setting (my profile is still listed though) and the file I moved is still in the system32 folder (as well as the folder I cut/pasted it into). It seems as if XP is smarter than me today 🙁
What to do next? I’m willing to try your other suggestion Brent but I will need you to walk me through it.
Thanks for all the help both of you.
BB
brent_bertram
Jul 19, 2004
James,
Copy the offending profile to a floppy disk, if necessary, and then delete it from the hard drive. You might have to search your C: drive to make sure that it isn’t in other locations , as well. We want to get rid of it, altogether.
Then , rerun Adobe Gamma using Ian Lyons’ instructions, name the resulting file a new, personalized name, and let’s hope for the best again. You are currently having a Windows XP problem, and I don’t even use that rotten ( I’m a Windows 2000 guy , still ) OS, so I can’t guide you very specifically .

🙁

Brent
JG
james_glasgow
Jul 19, 2004
Brent – I’ll have to try that but I probably won’t have time until later today or tomorrow. Someone else suggested that I remove Adobe Gamma from the startup, that it might be recalibrating when I turn everything on and that’s why my settings don’t stay saved. Does that sound reasonable?
BB
brent_bertram
Jul 19, 2004
No that doesn’t sound reasonable. The Adobe Gamma loader file in startup is intended to load the video LUT of your display card with offset values in your display profile, to get your display to the calibrated state. The Adobe Gamma Loader.exe is a different application altogether from the Adobe Gamma.cpl app which does the creation of the profile.
Removing Adobe Gamma Loader.exe , TEMPORARILY, for troubleshooting purposes is valid, although don’t expect your display profile to be loaded into the LUT , so your colors will certainly be off of the "perfectly calibrated" state <G> .

Good luck, I’m glad it’s you and not me, James.

🙂

Brent

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections