J
Posted By
Jammer
Jun 24, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Please reference the following image so that you get an idea of what I’m talking about……

< http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/7057/1saveforwebscreensho tkr6.jpg>

When I post an image to a website, there is a fairly drastic color shift. Please look at the two images in the link provided. The image in question already has an sRGB profile embedded and I had always thought this was the only thing necessary in order to have images posted on the internet be pretty much the same color as what I’m seeing in CS2.

The image on the right is what I see in CS2, the image on the left is what it ends up looking like when posted on any website.

Almost by accident while trying dozens of things I stumbled across something interesting. If I am looking at the correctly colored image in CS2 and then go View>Proof Setup>Monitor RGB all of the sudden, the image color shifts to what you see on the left side of my linked image. In other words, it shifts to exactly what it ends up looking like when I post it on a website.

So, in some respects, this was a good find for me because if I then edit this shifted image to look like the original and then save this new edited image, this new image will look correct when I post it on a website. So at least I’ve figured this work around to the color shift problem but this seems like a lot of unnecessary work to me and I don’t understand why I would be getting such a color shift in the first place, when posting an sRGB image.

I regularly calibrate my monitor with the i1 Display Two puck so I know my monitor is correct.

To be honest, I don’t know if this is just something that I’ve never noticed before or if it’s a new problem.

1. What would cause me to get such a color shift when posting an image that is already sRGB?

2. What does my work around solution tell you about what is actually happening here? Although it works, I don’t really understand why.

3. Isn’t there a way that I can post images to the net without jumping through these hoops?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
chrisjbirchall
Jun 24, 2007
The danger in just "stumbling on things" is you’ll end up with two wrongs trying to make a right.

Dispite what you say, it certainly sounds as if you need to recalibrate.

<http://www.computer-darkroom.com> is a good place to gain a firmer understanding of colour management.
J
Jammer
Jun 24, 2007
Thanks Chris. I see what I find there.

Anyone who has ever had a similar problem, please feel free to chime in.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections