Colour management and colour temperature of monitor ?

T
Posted By
Tel
Nov 29, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been checking up on a professional printer’s requirements and they specify particular icc profiles which you can download. They will also supply a test image on paper which you can compare with a digital image on the monitor.

They stipulate that daylight should be excluded and the room lighting should be 5000K (flourescent type 950) to view the print and the monitor colour temperature should be set to 5000Kelvin too.

Alright so far.
I understand the eye accomodates to see a white sheet of paper as white so you need the same temperature of illumination to view a print as the colour temperature of the monitor.

However, what I don’t see is why this has to be 5000K. If you should have say 7000 on the monitor instead but the room lighting is also 7000K then won’t the print and screen still look the same? Even if the colours seen are not truly what you’d see in daylight this is a comparison so does it matter?
Do I really need to change the room lighting where the monitor is or can I just change the monitor colour temperature to the room lighting’s temperature?

Thinking about it, I think I’ve just answered my own question in the penultimate question above, the colour is not truly that which you’d see in daylight and this does matter.

However I’d be interested in hearing some expert’s comments.

Tel.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections