WJ
Posted By
William_Jay
Dec 4, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just got a new pixma pro 9000 canon printer, great pictures but the pics are a little dull, for lack of a better word, compared to what I see on the monitor, so I think I need to get a good calibration device. I only have about 100-150 to spend, so do you guys reccomend the huey device or the spyderexpress?

thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 4, 2006
Have you not had satisfactory results with Adobe Gamma?
P
Phosphor
Dec 4, 2006
Adobe Gamma isn’t meant to work with LCD monitors.

That could be part of the problem, maybe?
WJ
William_Jay
Dec 4, 2006
I did adobe gamma and it helped a little, basically the pictures from the printer just look a little dull compared to the LCD monitor, so I want to purchase a color calibration tool, I just want oppinions on which one is the best one with a budget of up to 150$ I’ve seen the huey one and one thats called spyderexpress.
Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 4, 2006
compared to the LCD monitor

All the difference in the world. That wasn’t clear to me from your previous posts.

I have found Ian Lyons, a forum community member and generally recognized pundit of applied photoshop, to be quite helpful in all things color. He has some reviews/evaluations/comments about some calibration tools that *I*, personally, would weigh heavily in my search for calibration tools, especially because the world of LCD calibration is still evolving. Hopefully it helps.

<http://www.computer-darkroom.com>
Computer Darkroom
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Dec 4, 2006
William,

Ultimately, and particularly with an LCD monitor, I suspect you will get the best results using a colorimeter. I’ve read good comments about the Huey but haven’t heard of the Spyder Express until your post. A quick search on Google turned up a favorable review of the latter, which doesn’t surprise me since the Spyder products have been around a while and should be mature. However, one drawback according to a thread I found at dpreview ( http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1017&me ssage=20672181) is that the Spyder Express is limited to calibration of a single monitor. That was one reason I went with the Monaco OptixXR when I bought it (more pricey though), as it has no such licensing restrictions. The thread at dpreview is specifically asking about the Huey vs. Spyder Express for a Mac, but the platform shouldn’t matter much if any. Some favor the Huey, others don’t. But, at least the Huey sounds as if it doesn’t have a restricted license like the Spyder and it also offers the benefit of being an ambient light monitor, which may improve your results…I really don’t know.

Something you might want to try out as another software alternative for profiling, in lieu of Adobe Gamma since it isn’t designed for LCDs, is Praxisoft WiziWyg. Hmmm…well, I see it doesn’t appear available through Praxisoft, as all I got for their site was a blank page with logo only. But, it is available at <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/8064>. And another option is QuickGamma which Norman Koren mentions on his site as being a good utility. The developer’s website where you can freely download both QuickGamma and the companion QuickMonitorProfile is <http://quickgamma.de/indexen.html>. I’d suggest seeing what either WiziWyg or QuickGamma/QuickMonitorProfile can do for you since they’re free. If you don’t like the results you can pursue a colorimeter.

Hope that helps,

Daryl
Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 4, 2006
And another option is QuickGamma which Norman Koren mentions on his site as being a good utility.

That’s where I got the most information/means for satisfactory calibration for *my* LCD monitor, fwiw.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections