DW
Posted By
Deborah_Wiggins
Jun 1, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using photoshop elements 2 to edit my photos before printing them. I have used it many, many times so I am puzzled as to why the cropping function is not working properly. I crop the photo and then after I save it, it becomes a tiny dot in the middle of the frame. Help!

I am using windows ME on a Dell desktop computer.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Jun 1, 2005
Deborah,

The first thing I would is resetting preferences:

As soon as you launch PE2 simultaneously press shift/alt/ctrl. Answer yes to the question. It takes quick timing so you may have to try a few times.

Bob
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 1, 2005
My guess is that you have fallen foul of the Crop tool’s evil ways. If you set the dimensions and the resolution in the tool’s option bar, it can really screw up your image. Just reset the tool first and I think you’ll be fine.
DW
Deborah_Wiggins
Jun 1, 2005
Thank you so much! I pressed the shift/alt/cont as you suggested then answered yes and Voila! I appreciate your help!!
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 1, 2005
FWIW, although Bob’s advice was sound – always a good thing to do when PSE is playing up – it would have done the tool reset that I suggested. Do watch out for the Crop messing with pixel dimensions – it is a real gotcha.
DW
Deborah_Wiggins
Jun 1, 2005
Thank you as well! I will keep that in my pocket in case I have future glitches:)
ML
Mark_Levesque
Jun 2, 2005
This sort of thing will happen if you are cropping from a large image and using a fixed sized crop with small pixel dimensions. When you accept the crop, it resizes the view to the scaling factor of the original image. So if you had a really large image that you were viewing at 25% or 16.7% and you cropped something to small fixed pixel dimensions (like 100×200), after the crop is accepted it will present your cropped image at the 25% or 16.7% magnification. The result of this is a tiny image in a large gray box. 🙂

Resetting preferences worked because it reset the tool settings. Colin’s advice to reset the tool would have worked as well, with the added benefit of not resetting other preferences that you would have liked to have kept.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections