IC
Posted By
Ian_Crook
Jan 1, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using the trial version of CS 4 Extended and have been finding that my pictures print much darker than they appear on my monitor. When I print the same image using PS Elements 5 the image comes out as expected. I played with one image and had to increase the Brightness from 50 to 100% to get a similar print result.

I am using an Acer monitor, an Epson Stylus Photo R800 printer, and have calibrated my monitor using Eye-One Match. Are there setings I need to change in CS 4 to get the print I expect?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

G
gowanoh
Jan 2, 2009
You are describing the classic and as yet insurmountable problem with using consumer grade LCD panels for color managed printing.
The fact is that these panels are just too bright so that while colors can be calibrated brightness and contrast just can’t.
Some advise calibrating to a particular white point, which actually requires adjusting contrast rather than brightness, on the LCD panel. That has never worked for me.
One workaround:
Make a test print with sections set to arbitary changes in brightness using an adjustment layer (or curves if you prefer) and you will find a setting that works with most prints. You can then develop an action that will apply this setting as an adjustment layer just prior to printing. My best workaround: I still have one good quality CRT and prints tweaked on this calibrated monitor just prior to printing come out as expected. Unfortunately graphics panels that are accurate for photo printing are very expensive but this may change as everything else seems to.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections