Posted By
Don_Stouder
May 22, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi Everyone,

A student of mine is having the following problem using PSE 3. Here is the scenario.

1. From the Organizer mode, a picture is selected to edit.
2. The Edit mode is opened by clicking on the Edit icon etc
3. The original is edited, e.g. Auto Levels applied.
4. To save the edited version, File > Save As is used.
5. A check mark is put into both the Include in Organizer and Version Set boxes.

Here is where the problem comes in. On the student’s PC the "_Edited-1" is NOT added to the file name on the File name line in the Save As dialog box.

On my PC at home it comes and goes automatically with the Version Set check mark. That is, with the Check mark it is added, click to remove the checkmark and it is removed from the file name.

I can not see anywhere in the Preferences that controls this action. Any ideas on how to make the student’s PC work right?
TIA

Don S.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

N
narya
May 22, 2005
To save the edited version, File > Save As is used.

That may be the problem. Try using "File > Save" or "File > Close" instead.

Alexander.

Canon Ixus 430 (aka S410) | x86 with XP Pro | PSE v3.0.1 with 3k images | 12" Powerbook soon 🙂
DS
Don_Stouder
May 22, 2005
Alexander,

I will certainly have the student try that. But I think I would classify it as a work around, since it works what I would call properly on my PC and 36 other PCs that I am using in my adult ed classes. Who knows, maybe PSE 3 will get trained to do it right. 🙂

Thanks for your good suggestion and prompt reply.

Don S.
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 22, 2005
Don,

You may find that Colin Wall’s reply in your other thread will fix this, too:

Colin Walls, "File > Save As Window Disappears & Editor closes" #1, 20 May 2005 8:08 am </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>

Corrupted Preferences have caused all kinds of strange problems in PE versions 1, 2, and 3. The reset is your first line of defense. Actually, I keep a copy of a working 3.0 folder and simply overlay rather than delete so that I keep my preferences the way I want them. Doesn’t always work but then I delete.

Bob
O
o3v3tz
May 22, 2005
Alexander and Don,

I am suspicious that SAVE will produce the same results as SAVE AS. However, of course, it will not hurt to try.

Don,

I saw what is probably an exact match to this problem on a classroom machine yesterday. This was a brand new install of Elements 3 on XP Pro SP2 and it was the very first save of an edited photo. The edit was initiated from the Organizer and the photo had been imported to the Organizer from a folder on the hard drive.

Tuesday will probably be my next opportunity for access to the classroom to do additional troubleshooting. I don’t have any meaningful conclusions yet – but I decided to post so you knew I had also experienced the problem.

Barb Olson
N
narya
May 23, 2005
Another workaround is to unselect and reselect the Version Set checkbox in the Save As dialog …
O
o3v3tz
May 24, 2005
Don and everyone,

I did have an opportunity to troubleshoot this afternoon and I may have found an answer. My preliminary conclusion is that the problem of not changing the file name to add -edited-1 occured when the screen resolution was set to less than the stated minimum of 1024 by 768.

Using 2 side by side classroom machines, I had one set to 1024 by 768 and the other set to 800 by 600 for screen resolution. Editing from the Organizer and Saving in a Version set worked fine on the 1024 by 768; but the 800 by 600 never got the -edited-1 added to the name. Neither using Save or Close or Save As made a difference nor unchecking and rechecking the boxes for Organizer or Version set made a difference when the resolution was 800 by 600.

Don, I suggest that you ask your student about the screen resolution on their home machine and then when you have a response post back to this thread.

Now I do realize that the requirement for screen resolution is a minimum of 1024 by 768, but I think this is an unusual symptom for having screen resolution incorrect. I wish that Adobe would put out a message when the workspace is initially started if the screen resolution is too low.

Barb Olson
N
narya
May 24, 2005
Barbara, have you confirmed that changig the resolution on the one machine from 800×600 to 1024×768 actually solved the problem?

Alexander.
O
o3v3tz
May 24, 2005
Alexander,

I had done another machine in both screen resolutions; then used the two side by side to make it easy to verify that my process was exactly the same in everything that I attempted.

I just set my home PC to 800 x 600 resolution and was able to create the failure of not having the _edited-1 added to the file name. Then I switched to 1024 x 768 and on the same photo, the _edited-1 was added and the photo saved ok. I normally run at 1280 x 1024.

I know it sounds strange to have a connection between the file name appending or not and the screen resolution, but it does seem to be repeatable. We normally run the classroom systems at 1024 x 768 for Elements classes (v2 or v3) and 800 x 600 for other classes. Last week someone else had started the machine and Elements 3, then I had not noticed that it was at 800 x 600 resolution.

Barb O
N
narya
May 24, 2005
Very strange indeed – just as strange as all the corrupt-prefs-related quirks …

It sure pays out not to read the system requirements before installing any software product.
O
o3v3tz
May 24, 2005
Alexander,

Yes, I agree that I should have checked the screen resolution each and every time I used the monitor in the classroom. However, it seems to me that Adobe could have coded a check in to Elements 3 and sent a warning message when it is started with less than the minimum screen resolution.

Barb O
DS
Don_Stouder
May 24, 2005
Barb et al,

Thanks for replying and providing the tips. I have not had a chance to get back with the student yet, other than to email Alexander’s first suggestion. I have gotten no feedback from her. I am going see if I can reproduce the problem today at school. Thirty-six PCs there to play with.

As I have indicated in other questions to the group, certain problems show on some PCs but not on others there.

Thanks for all of the responses. I’ll check back with any new info I learn at this end.

Don S.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections