LM
Posted By
Lou_M
May 4, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ha! You wouldn’t believe what I found in the attic. About a dozen rolls of negatives from an old 110 camera. The only problem is, how do I scan these guys? They’re probably not critical pictures, but it’d be fun to scan them if I could. Has anyone done this?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CW
Colin_Walls
May 4, 2005
I would have thought your only option is to use a slide/film scanner having mounted the negs [in pairs] is glass 35mm slide frames. Worth a try.
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 4, 2005
so which one was it ?

I get a big kick out of some of these…

<http://www.subclub.org/shop/110.htm>
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 4, 2005
Colin, wasn’t this your first camera ?

<http://www.subclub.org/shop/kiddie.htm>
CW
Colin_Walls
May 4, 2005
Jodi

🙂

Actually I own a bunch of 110 format cameras. I have a collection of "vintage" Kodaks.

My first camera was 127 format. This is why I believe I still have an affection for square format images.
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 4, 2005
This was mine…

<http://www.pbase.com/carbone/image/30404699>

(this picture is actually my own camera in its own box.. I’m very careful with my stuff!)

Ray
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 4, 2005
ok, there are a couple now that are square format…fuji s3Pro and hmmmmm, some sort of Nikon I think. 😉

I can’t even remember the make of my first 110. It was one of those small black rectangular ones with built in flash. I’m almost sure it was a kodak but not positive. I took some really nice pics with that camera….for a kid I mean.
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 4, 2005
Ray, now that you posted the pic I can definietly say mine was a kodak ( altho your pic is a newer version 😉
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 4, 2005
Ray, you remind me of my brother. He still has stuff from when we were very little…mostly cool little cars that did stuff like the one I remember that he has…a dragster that after you pull the cord in back it throws sparks from the back end with wheels spinning a million miles an hour ! They don’t make cool toys like that anymore…too many sue happy parents today.
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 4, 2005
I got it when I was very young… Around 11 or 12 (over 25 years ago.. wow!).

Does anyone remember the Kodak Disk ?? Hummm… let’s forget the word Quality when speaking about the pictures it made… 🙂

Ray
CW
Colin_Walls
May 4, 2005
Does anyone remember the Kodak Disk ?

I have some cameras for that format too.

And some Kodak instant picture cameras. [They shouldn’t exist, as K recalled the lot after they were sued by Polaroid.]
MD
malcolm_denton
May 4, 2005
Lou…

A ‘quick and dirty’ method I have used successfully with my Epson 3170 scanner involves placing the negatives on the scanner glass,covered with a sheet of clear glass from a picture frame.
You work out where to place the negatives on the scanner by placing the normal film holder in position on the glass, and noting the position of the film aperture.
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 4, 2005
Collin:

I remember !! Kodak Colourburst… they were huge and the picture was ejected at the bottom of the camera. I had a Polaroid OneStep back then.

Nowadays, I have an iZone. Kids and teens just love it (adults as well, they just don’t admit it!!)

Ray
DA
Dean_Ayres
May 5, 2005
The Kodak disc camera took truly awful pictures; the negative area was simply too small to avoid excessive graininess.

I had a stack of 110 negatives that I tried to scan on a Canon Canoscan 8400F scanner. I couldn’t get the scanner to scan the negatives. The software requires that you specify the neg type, and 110 isn’t one of its predefined types. I’d be interested if anyone has a workaround that doesn’t involve cutting up the negs and mounting as 35mm.

Best Wishes,
Dean
LM
Lou_M
May 5, 2005
Jodi, those links bring back some fond memories! I think I had one of the Kodak Tele-Ektra models:

<http://www.subclub.org/shop/kodak.htm>

That was my third camera. My first camera was my Mom’s old 127(?) camera–the kind you looked through the viewfinder on the top. My second camera was a Kodak 126 camera. All the while, Dad would occasionally let me use his Pentax Spotmatic–and it used to tick him off that I could never remember how to load the dang camera with film! "Daaaaaad, how do you do this again?"

Thanks everyone for the tips. I’ll let you know what I end up trying.
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 5, 2005
Lou, yes i remember that old boxy camera my mother had ‘ look through the viewfinder on top’…the first wannabe digital camera 😉

Think of how far we have come !
DC
David_Cornwell
May 5, 2005
My first camera, which I received for Christmas at about age 12 or 13, was an Ansco Panda. I loved it & still have some of the pics. I recently scanned some of my brother & sent them to him for his birthday.

Dave Cornwell
PA
Patti Anderson
May 5, 2005
My first camera was an 126 instamatic Kodak???. All plastic body and it used those magic cube flashes. My mom bought it for me with S&H Green Stamps…I was SO proud. I still have most of the photos, but not the negatives. From there I graduated to a 110, then a 35mm Olympus. Now I’m a 100% digital nut.

Sorry for reminscing, but it brings back good memories. Hey, maybe someday we could do a scanning challenge…scan old photos from our "early" days…uh…those of us that have "early" days. 🙂

Patti
CW
Colin_Walls
May 5, 2005
Patti

I have several 126 format cameras [love that square format – 35mm stock you know] – I wonder if I have the model that you had? I also have a few magicubes …
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 5, 2005
Magicube… wow!!!.. Flashbar anyone ? 🙂 That one fits on top of my Polaroid. It still has 2 unused bulbs. Though, I doubt they’d fire if I’d try.

Ray
CW
Colin_Walls
May 5, 2005
Those were the days …
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 5, 2005
Yup, remember those little flash cubes and ya turned them till every side was burnt out ?? My brothers always enjoyed disecting them afterwards…ya know, we already had this conversation last year. 🙂

We need new material
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 5, 2005
Jodi …

I must have been around here a while … I remember that conversation 🙂

Wendy
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 6, 2005
Oh my god… Do you remember the 1.1 MegaPixel HP with Parallel port ? It took 20 minutes for 5 pictures to download…

….or…

I remember my first car.. A Hyundai Excel with automatic transmission, red and rust (the rust appeared 27 minutes after I finished sending the last check)…

….or…

I miss my Telstar video game system… Black and White (well, the TV was Black and White, so I never exactly knew if the console itself was colour or not) and 3 games, which were variation on a theme…

….or…

Wow, it feels like Yesterday… Photoshop Elements 1 with the lady looking like she had a glass or two too much of champagne, and that funny palette bin…

😉

Ray
BG
Byron Gale
May 6, 2005
wrote in message
My first camera…was an Ansco Panda.

Mine, too!! I still have it, thanks to my Mom tucking it away for me, years ago…

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pic=1JbRM19wRUWnvu8ww66U0m JnYrCGi1
LM
Lou_M
May 6, 2005
Byron, you’re way too organized.

Well, after reading a link that Jodi posted, I found out that 110 is half the height (more or less) of 35mm film. So I tried sticking two 110 strips in a 35mm strip reader for my scanner. After spending some time with it, I realized the images were all fuzzy because the film wouldn’t lie flat. So more investigation is required.
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 6, 2005
" Photoshop Elements 1 with the lady looking
like she had a glass or two too much of champagne, and that funny palette bin…"

You got a problem with that Ray ? 🙂 I’ve actually been forcing myself to use pe3…you know how I always had an undeniable attachment to my pe1…well, my ‘tweaked’ pe1…( I never bought pe2)doesn’t really look much like pe1 anymore…but anyways, yes I’m trying the ‘closure’ thing with it. I’ll let you know how that goes.

I do remember my ‘first’ ‘real’ 35mm camera. It was a mini minolta.

My first car was a ’75 firebird, was 18 livin’ in Florida and learned how to drive with that car. Didn’t actually get a liscence t’il i got stopped at a cop roadblock…and got a ticket for unliscenced driver. I kicked alot of butt with that Pontiac 400. I was such a child ! 😉

I really can’t remember too many ‘firsts’…..nope, not even that.
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 6, 2005
You got a problem with that Ray ? 🙂

Not at all… It’s much better than the current couple on PSE3.

Ray
BG
Byron Gale
May 6, 2005
wrote
Byron, you’re way too organized.

Lou,

If by "organized" you mean "pack rat"… that’s me!

Byron

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections