Where to have film negatives scanned at high-quality?

U
Posted By
user
Sep 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m in New York City. Where can I go to have a few 35mm film negatives scanned at the highest quality possible?

I’ve tried on a Epson 3170, which does film scanning, but not satisfied.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

TD
The Doormouse
Sep 23, 2004
user wrote:

I’m in New York City. Where can I go to have a few 35mm film negatives scanned at the highest quality possible?

I’m in San Diego. Do they have phone books in New York? Or, would you like me to recommend you soemplace local (to me)?

The Doormouse

The Doormouse cannot be reached by e-mail without her permission.
U
user
Sep 24, 2004
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:25:11 GMT, The Doormouse
wrote:

user wrote:

I’m in San Diego. Do they have phone books in New York? Or, would you like me to recommend you soemplace local (to me)?

The Doormouse

Phone book? Look under what category?
TD
The Doormouse
Sep 24, 2004
user wrote:

Phone book? Look under what category?

You should look for a digital service provider or scanning bureau. A printer may be able to suggest soemone, too.

The Doormouse

The Doormouse cannot be reached by e-mail without her permission.
CZ
cris Zalika
Sep 24, 2004
in article , user at
wrote on 09/23/2004 3:09 PM:

Ask your mommy.
N
noone
Sep 24, 2004
In article ,
says…

user,

If you are looking for a local shop, and I would recommend that you find one, as scanning can be a bit of a hassle remotely, take the Doormouse’s suggestion for the "yellow pages." The first two areas that I’d check would be professional photo labs. Check out their ads and see if they advertise film scanning. Many now have drum scanners, or very similar and can offer a vast array of scanning services. Next, commercial printers with "pre-press" divisions will most assuredly have drum scanning. Within the commercial printers, you might have a sub-category for separations. That is where you want to start. If the first few do not offer the service you need, ask them for a recommendation on who does *their* scanning. When you find a good supplier, I’d urge you to establish a relationship with them and let them work for you. You probably have hundreds of scanners in the Metro area, and most can do a good job for you, provided that they know what you want. I’ve found that constantly shopping for price will cost you in the time to develop a good relationship with the supplier.

Good luck,
Hunt
S
Scraphead
Sep 24, 2004
Designers Atelier 212-481-2128 may have an idea. Won’t be cheap, but you say you want the best.
I would suggest finding an ad design company that’s been around a long time, ask them who does their scanning. Any of them worth their salt does their own.
Against all endless techy arguments, I still believe that a Hell drum scanner does the best with 35 mm film.
Heidelberg now owns them. If you find someone that uses a Tango Primescan PMT scanner, you’ve found the best there is.

"user" wrote in message

U
User
Sep 24, 2004
On 24 Sep 2004 03:19:59 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:

I’ve found
that constantly shopping for price will cost you in the time to develop a good relationship with the supplier.

?
N
noone
Sep 24, 2004
In article ,
says…

I’ve found
that constantly shopping for price will cost you in the time to develop a good relationship with the supplier.

?

To restate, once you have found a provider, who understands your needs, you should build a lasting relationship with that supplier, and not be lured to try just anyone, who beats the price on the service. By jumping around, after you have a good working relationship, you have to "re-invent the wheel," with each new supplier. Your time is $, or PBS, or yen, or whatever. Don’t fall into the trap of saving a few cents on the service, only to have to waste time teaching the new supplier what you need. That’s all.

Hunt
T
toby
Sep 25, 2004
(Hunt) wrote in message news:…
In article ,
says…

I’ve found

?

To restate, once you have found a provider, who understands your needs, you should build a lasting relationship with that supplier […]

Amen to that.
T

Hunt

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections