AM
Posted By
Allen_Minor
May 17, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m just trying out a new Nikon film scanner this evening. The user installation guide recommends using sRGB. I use RGB in Photoshop. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

H
Ho
May 17, 2005
Disable Nikon color management and you’ll be much happier. (Unless you have a custom scanner profile–the ones that come with the scanners are BAD).
R
RSD99
May 17, 2005
sRGB or AdobeRGB

wrote in message
I’m just trying out a new Nikon film scanner this evening. The user
installation guide recommends using sRGB. I use RGB in Photoshop. Please advise. Thanks in advance.
MM
Mick_Murphy
May 17, 2005
Ho – what Nikon scanners are you talking about? I’ve found the Nikon colour management with the LS4000 to be perfectly ok – what I get on screen is very similar to what I see in the slide (AdobeRGB = NikonRGB) and I rarely have to make any serious colour adjustments.
SG
Stephen_Gingold
May 17, 2005
Allen
I’ve been using the LS4000 for two years now and set Adobe RGB as my choice in Nikon Color Management. I’ve been getting good scans in most cases with some tweaking with the curves tool.
As Mick mentions above, once I’ve got the image set in the scan window that’s what I get in PS. Previously with CS now with CS2.
Regards,
Stephen
H
Ho
May 17, 2005
Nikon’s default profile for the 4000 causes severe posterization in the shadows. If you haven’t seen it, you’re either very lucky or you aren’t looking.
S
scb
May 18, 2005
Nikon’s default profile for the 4000 causes severe posterization in the shadows. If you haven’t seen it, you’re either very lucky or you aren’t looking.

The Nikon 4000 scanner uses an older version of Nikon software, NikonScan 3. NikonScan 4 uses a different software, the 5000 is 16-bit v the 14-bit of the 4000. Let’s be sure which scanner the original poster is asking about before jumping to conclusions about how good/bad/accurate the scan results will be.

shel
H
Ho
May 18, 2005
Let’s be sure which scanner the original poster is asking about

Fair enough, but Nikon did very little to improve NS between versions 3 and 4. AFAIK, the profile isn’t any better either.
S
scb
May 18, 2005
Fair enough, but Nikon did very little to improve NS between versions 3 and 4. AFAIK, the profile isn’t any better either.

It sounds like you are not really very sure of your position. My understanding is quite the opposite, and tests between NikonScan 3 and NikonScan 4, plus comments from the Nikonian BB and other sources, indicate otherwise. Have you scanned with the new scanners and the new software, and made direct comparisons between the results obtained with the different software on the different scanners?

I’ve used both with the same set of transparancies and found there to be noticeable improvements, although I’ve not compared color negative film in the same way.

In any case, there are quite a number of people who feel as ytou do, and, it seems, that there’s at least as many who feel that there has been an observable improvement.

shel
H
Ho
May 18, 2005
I’m sure about what works for me. I’ll leave you to counsel the OP.
MM
Mick_Murphy
May 18, 2005
Allen – a simple answer to your question is to use AdobeRGB unless the images are intended only for web use.

Ho – I couldn’t argue with your assertions about bad shadows. I was simply talking about colour fidelity from slide to screen and this is acceptable to my eye (I scan Velvia and Provia almost exclusively).
AM
Allen_Minor
May 18, 2005
Thanks for all of your help. I have the Nikon Coolscan V ED. I installed it last night and decided to go with RGB. Looks like I made the right decision after reading the posts this morning. Thanks for all of your help.
H
Ho
May 19, 2005
Allen,

Please report back on your experiences with the 5000. I have the 4000 and I leave the CMS off because I have to. Bruce Fraser doesn’t rave about it either, at least when using the supplied profile:

<http://www.creativepro.com/story/review/14539.html>

Note that he was using NS3, but the posterization remains in NS4 as well.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections