BB
Posted By
Bill_Brammer
Oct 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to scan color negatives to edit the picture and I get a 64MB TIFF file. What setting should I use to get enough resolution to print 6×8 pic?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AF
Alan_Forist
Oct 3, 2003
Bill,
I use the same scanner for my 35mm negatives and slides. I find it useful to make my scans at the maximum possible resolution, which does indeed create a file of approximately 64MB.

I then crop and resize the image from within Photoshop to the desired size and resolution for printing.

I have standardized on 300dpi for printing as it seems to work well with my printers.

I believe the Nikon Scan software makes it possible to create the output file at the final size and dpi you wish, although I have not used it this way.

By my math, which is frequently suspect, you could achieve a final 4×6 inch output file at 300dpi by scanning your 35mm negative at approximately 1200dpi.

Good Luck
BB
Bill_Brammer
Oct 3, 2003
Great help, thanks. Do you save a JPEG (JFIF) files or TIFF. Does it matter? Do you do anything special with scanning? The scans I’m getting aren’t really as good as I get when the photo store puts them on disc for me.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 3, 2003
Save the scan as TIFF.

You don’t want to throw away image quality by using JPEG.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections