Scanning B&W Negatives – Greyscale or RGB?

PB
Posted By
Per_Berntsen
Feb 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been asked to scan a large number of B&W negatives (glass plates) for a museum. The scans will be used for offset (four-color) printing, or output on an inkjet printer. Until now, my workflow has been to scan as transparent positives, then invert and desaturate in Photoshop.

But then it struck me that since the finished RGB image contains three identical channels, (which, I think, is not any more data than just one channel) I might as well scan them as greyscales, and they can be converted to RGB or CMYK when needed. This will speed up scanning as well as editing, and save a lot of disk space.
I made some tests, and at 100% on-screen it is impossible to see any difference in quality between the desaturated RGB and the greyscale.

Does this make sense to anybody else?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Feb 22, 2004
Yes, i t makes sense to me. I also scan a lot of B/W negatives, and once had the following thought: some of my negatives are Ilford PAN Fplus that I developped in a mild Perceptol dilution.
The negs are fine, but slightly pink. not the emulsion but the acetate material. So I thought that if I would scan in RGB (without reversing) this "Pink channel" would have the weakest contrast in it. also if there is none-emulsion grain/dust/scratches they would be mostly out of focus in the scanner, and possibly emphesised or weakened in one of the RGB-channels.
Now I did a lot of experiments with this in mind, but up till now there’s not a dramatic gain in quality…

Perhaps one of the others comes up with a brilliant idea, until then I keep experimenting. Rob
RH
r_harvey
Feb 22, 2004
Documentation for my Epson flatbed says to scan through the film base. I’ve found that shooting through the emulsion, and flopping in software, frequently does a better job, especially if there is a lot of base fog. A dedicated film scanner, with a less-diffuse light source, would likely not be as sensitive.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Feb 22, 2004
Yes, if your negs have a coloration, you can use RGB to explore available contrast differences.

Older negs may have been processed in Pyro, which stains the film, and the stain becomes part of the density. The graded papers are only blue sensitive, so a brownish stain prints with a surprising density and contrast on those papers. On VC papers, stained negs give fits for proper selection of the contrast filters.

So, in scanning, it would be worth while if you see a definite deepening of the stain with an increasing density to go to RGB. Other films may have only the base a given color, and they will not respond the same way. I have some Panatomic X negs that have a greenish cast to them, but it doesn’t seem to affect the contrast. (except that the cast raises slightly the Dmin of the film.)
PB
Per_Berntsen
Feb 23, 2004
May be I didn’t make myself so clear.
I want neutral greys – I am not interested in whatever stain there might be in the negative. What I am wondering is if there is any advantage (qualitywise) in scanning RGB (desaturated) instead of greyscale.
PF
Peter_Figen
Feb 23, 2004
One good reason for scanning in RGB is that when you scan in grayscale, most scanners typically use just one channel to make the grayscale. By scanning with all three channels and then converting to grayscale, you average the different noise levels of the three channels instead of having to live with the noise of a single channel.This results in lower noise levels in the highlights, where you would typically see problems in neg scans.
RH
r_harvey
Feb 23, 2004
…most scanners typically use just one channel to make the grayscale.

Is that true? I really don’t know. I had assumed that most scanners were dumb, and relied on software in the computer to do most of the clever parts.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Feb 23, 2004
most scanners typically use just one channel to make the grayscale

I never heard of that.
But never to old to learn, I scanned an IT8 cal. target as if it were a B/W neg, and it is certainly scanned using the RGB channels. Further testing revealed that it averages like PS’s "desaturate" does.

However I still feel some advantages in scanning B/W negs in colour reversal mode, though I don’t know yet what the advantage is. (very scientific, isn’t it?)

Rob
PB
Per_Berntsen
Feb 24, 2004
Thanks for the input so far.
Anybody else?
B
Bernie
Feb 24, 2004
RGB will give you the channels to adjust for fine tuning the image grayscale will not, but larger file size with the RGB.

Bigcat

s.com wrote:

Anybody else?

____________________________________________________________ ___________________ Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com – Accounts Starting At $6.95 – http://www.uncensored-news.com <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>
RH
r_harvey
Feb 25, 2004
I was hoping, too.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 26, 2004
I would go with RGB. There is so much more contrast that you can get by combining the channels than with just one K channel.
RH
r_harvey
Feb 26, 2004
I don’t want contrast when I’m scanning film. There’s so much range in film, that I want to capture as much as possible–you can bump it up later in software.

If grayscale scanning is truly RGB (I dunno), but desaturated later, the best choice would be the one that could separate the tones better. The scanner software will likely see more bits than Photoshop.
R
Rabid
Feb 27, 2004
All I know is that when I take my files to Walgreen’s to print. It has to be RGB. Walgreen’s can not print CMYK or Grayscale!

Ranzy

wrote in message
Anybody else?
BP
Brian_Peart
Mar 1, 2004
I also scan a lot of BW negs as well as slides, on a NIkon Supercoolscan 4000 ED and my thoughts are that if its a BW neg I scan in greyscale. It scans quickly and gives you a small file.

If your scans are going to be 4-col litho printed, then they will only go on the black plate anyway, so no problem. (Unless they are duotones or something in which case you would convert to CMYK)

If you want to print them to a colour inkjet (Epson-type) printer, then go Image|Mode|RGB and print them. Gives a much smoother tonal range than just greyscale (which again will only use the black ink) plus you can use Image|Adjust|Colour Balance to ‘tint’ your photo any way you choose. Its really easy.

I believe there is a difference between scanning in grey or RGB on the way the scanner ‘reads’ the image and I think you do get a *slightly* better result if you scan RGB then desaturate, but for me it doesn’t make such a big difference. I’d rather scan quickly and have smaller files with less processing.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections