MC
Posted By
mariano_cukar
Nov 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I’ve a Nikon Coolpix camera with slide copy adapter so I can scan slides and negatives. But when I scan a 35mm negative it always have a orange mask. The camera has no settings to remove that. Is it possible to remove it with photoshop? How? Thanks!

Mariano

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
dave_milbut
Nov 29, 2003
are you scanning in transparency mode (positive see through) or negative? most scanner sw has a mode specifically for negatives that takes care of the color cast.
PF
Peter_Figen
Nov 29, 2003
You’re going to have to bring that file into PS, invert the image to get a positive if it’s not already, and then try applying Auto Levels, Auto Contrast or Auto Color. You may need to tweak the presets for those tools and then custom tweak afterword, but those should get you in the ballpark.
D
DavidMadison
Nov 29, 2003
try setting a black point with the curves tool black eyedropper on the clear edge of the mask (after inverting to a positive). If you can shoot a grey scale on the neg film and then "scan" it with your camera, then you can use various points on that scale to tweak your color balance, then save those curves for later use.
BO
Burton_Ogden
Nov 29, 2003
There are various techniques for removing the orange mask in Photoshop, some better than others. If you don’t remove the orange mask you will get a very strong blue cast when you invert the image.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Nov 29, 2003
Using Levels, treat each of the RGB-channels seperately. (Figured this out succesfully after reading Ian Lyon’s Computer Darkroom). Rob

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections