Posted By
ThomasKroljic
Jun 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Recently purchased PS Element 2.0

I use a HP PhotoSmart S20 to scan B&W negatives into PhotoShop Elements 2.0. When the photo appears in PS, I noticed that it is RGB. Should I convert this image to Grayscale (B&W) before editing it? And why does it come into PS as RGB and not a Grayscale image. (I select File/Import and then select the HP scanner.)

Thank you,
Thomas Kroljic

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 11, 2004
You should have option as to what mode to scan in via your HP scanner interface.

You have some sophisticated options for tweaking image in RGB that you don’t in grayscale, but this may not matter for your purposes.

Of course the image is 3 times the file size also.

You can convert to grayscale (B/W) at any time.

By the way, "black and white" mode, in digital imaging parlance, is genrally referred to as same as line mode, or bitmap mode. Means only pure black and pure white images, no grays.

There are some quite sophisticated folks on this forum who work some in grayscale, hopefully they will chime in.

Mac
BB
brent_bertram
Jun 11, 2004
Well, while we’re waiting for Mac’s sophisticated folks to come aboard , let me suggest that there’s a lot more detail in RGB images than in greyscale images, and potentially , at least, more room for creative editting. <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/tutorials/tutorial_2_1.htm> is a Photoshop tutorial using channels, which are not native to Elements. However, there are add-on channel options, as well as other techniques to work creatively on RGB ( but monochrome ) images . I always scan mono photos as RGB . There’s just more flexibility in editting.

🙂

Brent
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 11, 2004
See, YOU are one of the sophisticates I mentioned!

M
T
ThomasKroljic
Jun 11, 2004
Mac,
Thanks for your reply. When I scan my negatives, I first open PS Elements. Then I select File/Import and select the HP Scanner. Once the scanner software loads, I select the following options within the HP Scanner software: B&W negative and the resolution to 2400.
After the final scan process, the file (image) created in PS is a RGB image.

Not sure why the image wouldn’t come into PS as Grayscale to begin with.

Working with a RGB image vs. a Grayscale image, should I really be concerned?

Thanks,
Thomas Kroljic
T
ThomasKroljic
Jun 11, 2004
Brent,
Thanks for your reply. I am a total novice when it comes to using software to edit images. I’ll have to check out the link you included in your reply. I’m not sure what you mean by "channel". I recently purchased a book or two to start my studies on digital editing. I think "channels" refer to the RGB color channels. Obviously, it gets more technical then that.

So based on your reply, you’re suggesting that I keep the image as a RGB instead of converting it to a grayscale. This will give me more flexibility when editing the image.

Thanks,
Thomas kroljic
BB
brent_bertram
Jun 11, 2004
That’s pretty much my advice, Thomas . You can always discard the color information at a later date, after editting, and you’ll probably have a better monochrome image at that time, having editted in RGB mode.

"See, YOU are one of the sophisticates I mentioned! " <G> Forum rules require us to tolerate people from Knoxville, whom otherwise would be be questionable in a classy joint like this. <G>

( Hi there, Mac, ole buddy ! :_) )

🙂

Brent
BB
brent_bertram
Jun 11, 2004
Thomas ,
I’d be remiss if I didn’t turn you on to this site, <http://www.normankoren.com/scanners.html> . Norman Koren has a lot to say, including sometimes using your scanner as an example.

🙂

Brent
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jun 11, 2004
I do not have Elements loaded on my computer and I do come from the Mac side but in your scanner’s drivers or gui there is the choice of selecting one the film type that is black and white negative or positive slide film etc. there should also be an option to select the image type that would include the bit depth as well such as 16 bit grayscale or 48 bit color it is this option that will control what mode the image will be imported into Elements or Photoshop or for that matter just saved to the hard drive.

So there is a difference between selecting black and white negative or color negative and selecting the mode the file will translated into. The reason for this is that one they are two different things and two you may wish to edit in RGB or in Grayscale depending on what you ultimately wish to do. There are reasons you may not want to have it brought in as RGB though usually that is a better option.

So the Mode and the Film Type are two different settings and two different properties.
D
davee
Jun 11, 2004
Are you selecting 8-bit grayscale mode on your scanner when its control opens up? This works OK with an Epson 3200 and the image then appears in PS as grayscale.
Maybe the scanner is set to an automatic default and you need to switch to manual or something like that,
T
ThomasKroljic
Jun 14, 2004
Wade,
Thanks for your reply. The HP PhotoSmart S20 scanner only gives me the choice of film type (Color negative, B&W negative, slide…) when I run the HP software. It does not allow me to select the output: RGB or grayscale. By default, it outputs, I believe, 24bits.

Thomas Kroljic
T
ThomasKroljic
Jun 14, 2004
Dave,
I am not given any choices (RGB or Grayscale) when the HP PhotoSmart S20 scanner software starts. It was have a default (RGB). I’ll have to go the the HP website to find out more info on this scanner.

Thanks,
Thomas Kroljic
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jun 15, 2004
Thomas perhaps there is another choice as to the level of of user interface for PhotoSmart. For instance in the Epson scanner interface the default is for the consumer interface with minimal support for anything but if you pull down menu on the Epson software it is called Mode. I have mine set on Professional perhaps there is another setting if not in the interface perhaps the preferences.

If not then the only way is to convert to grayscale in Photoshop. But I have never heard of a scanner that did not offer this option the other possible way of doing this is with a third party software such as VueScan and you can choose Elements as the application in which the file opens or Silverfast assuming these apps support your scanner.

I hope that one these options works for you.
K
khz
Jun 18, 2004
SilverFast Ai and B&W negatives

SilverFast SE and Ai both have a very powerful feature called NegaFix to work with colour or B&W negatives. Images will be scanned directly into grayscale file format.

SilverFast Ai has the capability to use ICC-profiles for grayscale adjustment and can also convert colour images selectively user-controlled to grayscale.

More infos on NegaFix can be found here:

http://www.silverfast.com/show/negafixguide/en.html

http://www.silverfast.com/show/silverfast-se/en.html

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections