X
Posted By
xtx99
Nov 9, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was interested in making digital prints from some of my old 35mm negatives and am seeking some scanning advice. My experience with digital photography so far has only been with making low resolution scans of negatives for webpages. My equipment is Adobe Photoshop, a HP ScanJet 4570c with negative adapter (yes I realize it’s not a true negative scanner like the better Nikon’s and Minolta’s) and a Cannon i470D bubblejet printer. I simply want to make the best occasional family prints I can with this hardware & software in printing 4×6, 5×7, and 8×10 photos.
The scanner is capable of 2400 dpi and the resolution of the printer is 600×600 in black and 4800×1200 in color.
1) My first question involves the scanning format…should I save the scan as a TIF, compressed TIF, JPEG or GIF? Perhaps I should save it (archive it) as a TIF and do the editing of it and saving it as a JPEG to print? (print the edited JPEG)
2) My second question involves the resolution setting of the scanner. Keeping in mind that I will be doing 4×6, 5×7, and 8×10 and given that the maximum resolution of the printer is 4800 x 1200dpi, should I scan the 35mm negatives at the full 2400 or is that going too far? The size of the file isn’t really a concern if I can get higher quality prints using the high scanner resolution. But, if it the resulting print at 8×10 will look exactly the same with a smaller scanner resolution, then I’d prefer to use the smaller setting to reduce computer processing time and space.
Any thoughts to the above questions are appreciated. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CS
Cornucopia Smith
Nov 9, 2003
I’m not a world authority on this but I hope this may help – in my experience…

When scanning, for maximum quality save as TIFF (or compressed TIFF, which uses a lossless compression algorithm), or BMP. Avoid "lossy" compression such as JPG. For scanning negatives & transparencies, scan at the highest optical resolution offered by your hardware. Avoid software (or interpolated) scanning resolutions – if you really need to enlarge a scan, Photoshop does it better.

As a "traditional" photographer, I have to say that I hate JPG because of the quality drop.So I always keep & work on images as BMP or TIFF unless/until they are to be emailed or placed on a website. Similarly, when printing, for maximum quality I print from TIFF or BMP.

And another reason to keep away from JPG is that each time you save a file the quality is reduced more and more, unless you specifically save at maximum quality – in which case why not use a lossless format in the first place? JPG is largely a "consumer" format, other than its use for electronic sending & posting, when file size is an important factor,

Good luck

Corny

"Xtx99" wrote in message
I was interested in making digital prints from some of my old 35mm negatives and am seeking some scanning advice. My experience with digital photography so far has only been with making low resolution scans of
negatives
for webpages. My equipment is Adobe Photoshop, a HP ScanJet 4570c with negative adapter (yes I realize it’s not a true negative scanner like the better Nikon’s and Minolta’s) and a Cannon i470D bubblejet printer. I
simply
want to make the best occasional family prints I can with this hardware & software in printing 4×6, 5×7, and 8×10 photos.
The scanner is capable of 2400 dpi and the resolution of the printer is
600×600
in black and 4800×1200 in color.
1) My first question involves the scanning format…should I save
the
scan as a TIF, compressed TIF, JPEG or GIF? Perhaps I should save it
(archive
it) as a TIF and do the editing of it and saving it as a JPEG to print?
(print
the edited JPEG)
2) My second question involves the resolution setting of the
scanner.
Keeping in mind that I will be doing 4×6, 5×7, and 8×10 and given that the maximum resolution of the printer is 4800 x 1200dpi, should I scan the
35mm
negatives at the full 2400 or is that going too far? The size of the file isn’t really a concern if I can get higher quality prints using the high scanner resolution. But, if it the resulting print at 8×10 will look
exactly
the same with a smaller scanner resolution, then I’d prefer to use the
smaller
setting to reduce computer processing time and space.
M
Marsupilami
Nov 9, 2003
1) My first question involves the scanning format…should I
save the scan as a TIF, compressed TIF, JPEG or GIF? Perhaps I should save it (archive it) as a TIF and do the editing of it and saving it as a JPEG to print? (print the edited JPEG).

always make an archive with a lossless format, the better quality you can, you’ll never know how much you’ll need these pictures. So a TIFF or directtly a PSD,
and… why not print a TIFF?

2) My second question involves the resolution setting of the scanner. Keeping in mind that I will be doing 4×6, 5×7, and 8×10 and given that the maximum resolution of the printer is 4800 x 1200dpi, should I scan the 35mm negatives at the full 2400 or is that going too far? The size of the file isn’t really a concern if I can get higher quality prints using the high scanner resolution. But, if it the resulting print at 8×10 will look exactly the same with a smaller scanner resolution, then I’d prefer to use the smaller setting to reduce computer processing time and space.

for my point of view, printer resolution have no point with this, MY reflexion is:
calcutate
the size of a 35 mm film, if you want to print in 8×10, calculate the ratio between what you find in height of the negative and the height of the print (keep in mind that these sizes are not "homothetic"). if you want good prints, you must have a file printed at FULL size at at least 250 or 300 dpi.
so:
let’s say 300 dpi X ratio = dpi that must provide the scanner.

But maybe other contributors have a better method as long as mine was constructed
by my own logic. (it’s not a proof of thruth 😉 )

Any thoughts to the
above questions are appreciated. Thanks.

i hope this helped
DS
D Smyth
Nov 9, 2003
I use the same scanner and have had excellent results.
(I’m having major problems getting it to run on my new Windows XP computer but that will be solved in time.)
I have found that saving a negative or slide at 1800 dps is plenty good enough for an 8×10, even when you crop the original.
I have some prints that are as sharp and with such good tones, they look like a top quality darkroom print. (I use an Epson C-62 and before that a 777)
With my old computer, I found that the processing times were hopelessly long. (Won’t know about the new one until I solve the glitches.) So I did all the work on the image in the small size before enlarging it. I also store the images in the small size because they take up less space. And I agree with others who have posted replies. Stay away from JPEG except for e-mail and screen savers.
Have fun!
ds

"Marsupilami" wrote in message
1) My first question involves the scanning format…should I save the scan as a TIF, compressed TIF, JPEG or GIF? Perhaps I should save it (archive it) as a TIF and do the editing of it and saving it as a JPEG to print? (print the edited JPEG).

always make an archive with a lossless format, the better quality you can, you’ll never know how much you’ll need these pictures. So a TIFF or directtly a PSD,
and… why not print a TIFF?

for my point of view, printer resolution have no point with this, MY reflexion is:
calcutate
the size of a 35 mm film, if you want to print in 8×10, calculate the
ratio
between what you find in height of the negative and the height of the
print
(keep in mind that these sizes are not "homothetic"). if you want good prints, you must have a file printed at FULL size at at least 250 or 300 dpi.
so:
let’s say 300 dpi X ratio = dpi that must provide the scanner.
But maybe other contributors have a better method as long as mine was constructed
by my own logic. (it’s not a proof of thruth 😉 )

Any thoughts to the
above questions are appreciated. Thanks.

i hope this helped

DS
D Smyth
Nov 9, 2003
"Xtx99" wrote in message
I was interested in making digital prints from some of my old 35mm negatives and am seeking some scanning advice. My experience with digital photography so far has only been with making low resolution scans of
negatives
for webpages. My equipment is Adobe Photoshop, a HP ScanJet 4570c with negative adapter (yes I realize it’s not a true negative scanner like the better Nikon’s and Minolta’s) and a Cannon i470D bubblejet printer. I
simply
want to make the best occasional family prints I can with this hardware & software in printing 4×6, 5×7, and 8×10 photos.
600×600
the
(archive
(print
the edited JPEG)
scanner.
Keeping in mind that I will be doing 4×6, 5×7, and 8×10 and given that the maximum resolution of the printer is 4800 x 1200dpi, should I scan the
35mm
negatives at the full 2400 or is that going too far? The size of the file isn’t really a concern if I can get higher quality prints using the high scanner resolution. But, if it the resulting print at 8×10 will look
exactly
smaller
DS
D Smyth
Nov 9, 2003
Correction to my earlier post. I do not use the same equipment. I do have a flatbed with a negative adapter. But I also have a Scanace negative scanner. (That’s the one giving me XP problems.) It is reasonably priced (about $250 in Canada),it comes with some excellent software and there is NO comparison with the flatbed. This is the one that is razor sharp. The flatbed is useful sometimes if you deliberately want a softer focus effect. ds

"Xtx99" wrote in message
negatives
simply
600×600
the
(archive
(print
the edited JPEG)
scanner.
35mm
exactly
smaller
H
Hecate
Nov 10, 2003
On 09 Nov 2003 08:39:34 GMT, (Xtx99) wrote:

I was interested in making digital prints from some of my old 35mm negatives and am seeking some scanning advice. My experience with digital photography so far has only been with making low resolution scans of negatives for webpages. My equipment is Adobe Photoshop, a HP ScanJet 4570c with negative adapter (yes I realize it’s not a true negative scanner like the better Nikon’s and Minolta’s) and a Cannon i470D bubblejet printer. I simply want to make the best occasional family prints I can with this hardware & software in printing 4×6, 5×7, and 8×10 photos.
The scanner is capable of 2400 dpi and the resolution of the printer is 600×600 in black and 4800×1200 in color.
1) My first question involves the scanning format…should I save the scan as a TIF, compressed TIF, JPEG or GIF? Perhaps I should save it (archive it) as a TIF and do the editing of it and saving it as a JPEG to print? (print the edited JPEG)

Save as a TIF. If you must use compression make sure you use LZW. If you want to print, then print from the TIF. If you want to use the images on a web page or send them electronically, then do a Save As or a Save for Web as the last thing you do, and save as a jpg.

Out put is unlikely to be improved over the size 240-360 dpi. So calculate how many pixels you really need and scan at that double that level to allow for resizing. Remember that dpi is not the same as ppi, and what you see on the screen in terms of size is ppi.

To help you, here are some figures:
At 300 ppi, using a scan resolution of 1800: you can make a print of size 8.2 x 5.4 inches. At 200 ppi, you can get the print size up to 12 x 8.

To calculate sizes for yourself, as a rough guide, divide the ppi (or dpi) figure by the 300 to give you the "short" side of a print. Multiply that result by 1.5 to give you the "long" side. You’re using 300 because you’re assuming an output of 300 dpi.

So, at 2400, your sizes would be:

"Short": 2400/300 = 8
"Long" 8×1.5 = 12.

So, at 300 dpi you’d be able to get a 12×8 print. I’ll leave you to work out what the result is if you printed out at 240 dpi or 360 dpi for example.

Hope that helps.

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections