MH
Posted By
mandi_humphrey
Apr 26, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve taken the proverbial wedding ring shot. I want to remove the color from everything but the rings. I’ve done this with a single hand and it is beautiful!!! When I try to do it with two objects (both rings-the man’s and the woman’s)the first object I’ve selected disappears…not the object but the outline. In other words, I’m unable to outline two separate objects in the same picture. I’ve tried doing the layers but it won’t let me remove the color from one hand at a time. I’ve been trying to get this now for over two weeks. I’m sooooo frustrated!!! Can anyone help? PLEASE!!!!
Thank you,
Mandi

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BG
Byron Gale
Apr 26, 2005
Mandi,

First, to get the effect you want, try creating a Hue/Saturation layer over your picture of the hands/rings image. Decrease the Saturation to -100, which renders the image in B/W.

Then, in the Layers Palette, click the white thumbnail on the Hue/Sat layer, to be sure that "Layer Mask" appears in the image window title bar.

Using the brush tool, paint with BLACK over your image. Where you do, the color will reappear.

When painting on a mask, black hides the mask, and white reveals it — so if you let too much color back in, switch to white and paint back over it.

As far as making multiple lasso selections — with the lasso selected, note that in the Options bar there are four icons depicting small squares overlapping each other. These change the tool’s operation so that you can Add to, or Subtract from, a selection, or work in Intersect mode. As a shortcut, instead of using these buttons, you can on-the-fly make the lasso work in Add mode by holding the SHIFT key while making your additional selections. When you press the key, you’ll see a little + symbol appear with the lasso cursor. Holding ALT while you lasso makes it work in Subtract mode.

HTH, and have fun!

Byron
MH
mandi_humphrey
Apr 26, 2005
Bless you!!! Okay just tried doing this but when I complete the second selection it disappears again…what am I doing wrong?
BG
Byron Gale
Apr 26, 2005
wrote
…just tried doing this but when I complete the second selection it
disappears again…what am I doing wrong?

Let me describe how I do it, successfully… Using the Lasso in normal mode, I make an initial selection. Then, to make an additional selection, I press and hold the SHIFT key, then click-drag with the Lasso to create the additional outline. After I begin dragging with the Lasso, I can let off the SHIFT key, and the Lasso remains in Add mode until I close my selection – at which time it goes back to Normal mode.

How does your method differ?
MH
mandi_humphrey
Apr 26, 2005
I’m doing what you are suggesting…when I make my second selection…when I get back to my "start" position in the lasso (where the small circle appears showing you are at the start point)I release my mouse and the lasso selection I’ve just created disappears…does this make sense?
MH
mandi_humphrey
Apr 26, 2005
I GOT IT!!!!!! I was using the magnetic lasso…went to the regular mode (duh, like you said) and it worked. Thank you thank you thank you…a million times thank you!!!!!!! Bless you and your day!!!
Mandi
BG
Byron Gale
Apr 26, 2005
wrote
I GOT IT!!!!!! I was using the magnetic lasso…went to the regular mode
and it worked.

Mandi,

I’m glad it was something simple!!

Byron

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections