TS
Posted By
Tom Simonds
Mar 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to get Elem 3 to work with two monitors using win xp. Iwant to display the controls in one monitor, and the image full size in another, larger monitor. It don’t work. The window containing the photo image will not slide over to the other monitor.

Nikons capture 4 software will not do it either.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Roy
Mar 25, 2005
I am not too sure about 3, but I have Elements 2 and it can use 2 monitors.

A lot of people have problems when they first try this.

You can only drag Windows when they are smaller than Full Screen Size. ( 2 rectangles showing in the box between the minus sign box and the X box in the top RH corner of the Window – PC).

It would seem sensible to have the the Tools and the main Program Window on the small Monitor, and drag the Picture Window onto the largest Monitor.

But that can’t be done. You have to leave the Picture Window inside the Main Program Window, and drag the individual Tool Pallettes onto the Small Monitor.

I believe the situation is a bit better with Mac, but again I am not sure (it is years since I last used one).

Roy G

"Tom Simonds" wrote in message
I am trying to get Elem 3 to work with two monitors using win xp. Iwant to display the controls in one monitor, and the image full size in another, larger monitor. It don’t work. The window containing the photo image will not slide over to the other monitor.

PD
Postman delivers
Mar 25, 2005
Roy submitted this idea :
I am trying to get Elem 3 to work with two monitors using win xp. I want to display the controls in one monitor, and the image full size in another, larger monitor. It don’t work. The window containing the photo image will not slide over to the other monitor.

You can only drag Windows when they are smaller than Full Screen Size. ( 2 rectangles showing in the box between the minus sign box and the X box in the top RH corner of the Window – PC).

It would seem sensible to have the the Tools and the main Program Window on the small Monitor, and drag the Picture Window onto the largest Monitor.
But that can’t be done. You have to leave the Picture Window inside the Main Program Window, and drag the individual Tool Pallettes onto the Small Monitor.

I believe the situation is a bit better with Mac, but again I am not sure (it is years since I last used one).

Roy G

Tom,

Can you open a word processor, and a spread sheet and move them into the other monitor? It sounds like you can not use the monitors as one, that is not an adobe situation but a windows setup tweak.

http://www.attention-to-details.com/newslog/415-two-monitors -on-one-computer-windows.asp#a423

Note: the the "AGP Slot" problem… requiring a PCI second card – in the above link.

And microsoft link below –

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http%3A//supp ort.microsoft.com%3A80/support/kb/articles/q307/8/73.asp&amp ;NoWebContent=1

When you get is set let us know…

JR the postman

This is an automatic signature of MesNews.
Site : http://www.mesnews.net
T
tatrader
Mar 25, 2005
I use PSE3 and 2 side-by-side monitors. I can drag the entire PSE3 window across both so it fills the left + right screen, but cannot drag the inner window with the picture outside of the PSE3 larger window. I use one video card that supports 2 monitors.

"Postman delivers" wrote in message
I am trying to get Elem 3 to work with two monitors using win xp. I want to display the controls in one monitor, and the image full size in another, larger monitor. It don’t work. The window containing the photo image will not slide over to the other monitor.

Roy G

Tom,

Can you open a word processor, and a spread sheet and move them into the other monitor? It sounds like you can not use the monitors as one, that is not an adobe situation but a windows setup tweak.

http://www.attention-to-details.com/newslog/415-two-monitors -on-one-computer-windows.asp#a423
Note: the the "AGP Slot" problem… requiring a PCI second card – in the above link.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http%3A//supp ort.microsoft.com%3A80/support/kb/articles/q307/8/73.asp&amp ;NoWebContent=1

JR the postman

R
Roy
Mar 26, 2005
Hi there.

Postman thinks it may be MS Windows, which prevent the Picture Window from being taken outside the Program Window, but I am not so sure that that is the case. I usually use PS CS and only have Elements 2 because I got it for free with my Scanner. PS CS works exactly the same, the Picture has to stay within the main Program Window.

I don’t like the idea of extending the Main Window onto both Monitors, because then the Picture tends to get split between them. My smaller Monitor is fairly elderly, and does not have Colour Temp controls, so it can not be accurately Calibrated. I usually keep my Tool Palettes and dialogue boxes on the Small Monitor, and have saved my "Workspace" setup.

I am able to open 2 different programs at the same time, and have one on each monitor. Very handy when doing accounts, I can keep the Calculator on the small one. I can also have the Media Player open on the Small one, to select music, while I am doing work on the main one.

Someone else mentioned PCI video cards, and it was rather annoying to have to pay more for a PCI than I paid for my main AGP Card.

Roy G

"Postman delivers" wrote in message

Roy G

Tom,

JR the postman

TS
Tom Simonds
Mar 26, 2005
"tatrader" wrote in message
I use PSE3 and 2 side-by-side monitors. I can drag the entire PSE3 window across both so it fills the left + right screen, but cannot drag the inner window with the picture outside of the PSE3 larger window. I use one video card that supports 2 monitors.

I use one video card & two monitors. I can do all the stuff like drag color swatch windows to monitor #2, but what I expected to do is drag the picture I’m working on out of Elements and onto monitor #2. I thought all programs did that. Guess not…

Just ran across a great monitor deal. 21" IBM P260 w/trinitron tube for $199.00. These are refurbs. But they originally cost $1,000.00. The one I got is great. Looks and works like new. These things are all over the ‘net. But…let the buyer beware.

I was so impressed with it, I went back to the store – Microcenter – and got another one. The second one was bad…real bad. I think it was completely worn out. Supposedly an IBM factory refurb. Fortunately, I bought them locally and the store gladly took it back.

Check it out. Gooogle IBM P260. But…beware…make sure you know whom pays shipping for the return it it’s a bad one.
TS
Tom Simonds
Mar 26, 2005
Just ran across a great monitor deal. 21" IBM P260 w/trinitron tube for $199.00. These are refurbs. But they originally cost $1,000.00. The one I got is great. Looks and works like new. These things are all over the ‘net. But…let the buyer beware.

….just found out that monitor has a $50.00 rebate on it. So it’s really only $149.00. A great deal if you can buy it locally at a Microcenter store and return it if it is not good.
H
howardf
Apr 2, 2005
Yup! That’s the same way I did it on my dual-monitor setup. I’m currently running 2 Sony 20", tube monitors, so I just put the picture on the left(primary) monitor, and all the tools on the right monitor, just as your picture shows yours to be.

After a while, you’ll wonder how you ever got along with only one screen.

BTW, I’m using an MSI, Nvidea Ti4800SE card. Not the newest, but it gets the job done.

Also, there is not much info out there on dual monitors, because not that many people are usinf multiple-monitor arrangements. But, there are sites out there that have data on multiple-monitor setups. Do a Google search on "multiple monitor" or "dual monitor".

There is even a site out there that has free wallpapers for 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x monitor arrays.

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 06:54:48 -0500, "Tom Simonds" wrote:

TS
Tom Simonds
Apr 2, 2005
After a while, you’ll wonder how you ever got along with only one screen.

The computer really is more versatile w/two monitors. It’s good for reading newsgroups where you click on a URL and the browser opens in the other monitor. Being able to read Helps in one monitor, while you have the program open in the other, too. I have very bad short term memory. I can’t read helps, close the help thing, and remember what it said to do.

You’d think manufacturers of monitors would push that multiple monitor set-up.
TS
Tom Simonds
Apr 2, 2005
Here is some more good advice on monitors. If you have video built into the motherboard – get rid of it. Those on-board video chipsets are really bad, they don’t even display the maximum number of colors. When I stuffed a new video card in, a Radeon R9550 ($100.00) I was dazzeled by how much better the screen looked.

It should have been good video built in, I assumed. I had bought a $700.00 Compaq P4 w/800 mhz. FSB. But the video was bottom – of- the – line.
H
howardf
Apr 2, 2005
Good advice. I would also recommend a stand-alone sound card.

I used to use the built-in sound card, on the motherboard, to play MP3’s in the background, while I worked. But, every once-in-a-while, the music would hang, momentarily, when the cpu deemed there were higher priority things to do. I put in a Creative Labs Audigy card, and no more hangups/delays in my music.

The whole problem with "cards" built into the motherboard, is that they are all sharing cpu time with other running programs. There is no dedicated processor to handle their work. They leech cycles from the main cpu. A stand-alone card has it’s own dedicated processor, so that it can handle its own business, separately from the cpu.

That’s why stand-alone cards will always work better than built-in devices. BTW, I’m assuming heavy duty use and/or significant multi-tasking. If you’re only doing one thing at a time, then built-in "cards" are sufficient.

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 07:11:21 -0500, "Tom Simonds" wrote:

Here is some more good advice on monitors. If you have video built into the motherboard – get rid of it. Those on-board video chipsets are really bad, they don’t even display the maximum number of colors. When I stuffed a new video card in, a Radeon R9550 ($100.00) I was dazzeled by how much better the screen looked.

It should have been good video built in, I assumed. I had bought a $700.00 Compaq P4 w/800 mhz. FSB. But the video was bottom – of- the – line.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections