MN
Posted By
Murali_Narayanan
Nov 11, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hope someone can help me. I just installed the trial version of CS4 on a Dell Optiplex 745 running XP SP3 with a Radeon X1300 (with latest drivers) and HP2465 monitor. I have also installed LR 2.1 on the same machine a while ago and it works flawlessly. I have huge issues with the CS4 trial version.

1. when i open CS4, when I click on file, almost all the entries are greyed out – except for Import, Automate and Scripts. even Exit is greyed out. if I click on Automate and get back, I can do normal operations like open, open in bridge, etc.

2. when i click on the spot healing brush tool, CS4 crashes. Error signature says AppName: photoshop.exe, ModName: icm32.dll.

3. when i go to smart sharpen, in the magnified view, there is no change if i move any of the sliders. all i see is a flicker.

4. When I try to edit in CS4 from LR2.1, CS4 opens but it does not open the image file.

find CS4 very flaky. i doubt it is the software as a ton of people are using CS4 successfully. I suspect the problem is with my confifuration – most likely display controller related.

Until this is resolved, i will go back to CS3 which works flawlessly on the same machine.

Can somebosy shed some light? Thanks & regards

Murali

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MN
Murali_Narayanan
Nov 11, 2008
Looks like I found the solution thanks to suggestions in the following thread: Initial issues with PS CS4 Extended Windows XP Pro. (36 messages; 11/11/08)

I had installed a Nik plugin. I moved the Nik folder in the Plugin folder and CS4 opens properly. Guys: watch out when u install plugin in CS4. install 1 plugin at a time and thoroughly test CS4 prior to adding additional plugins.
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 11, 2008
That has been accepted practice since plug-ins were invented!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections