mary_morgian
Mar 16, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello Everyone,
I just discovered a huge bug in ps cs4.
I didn’t find anything about that on google, so I wonder if anyone has noticed it. A part from the missing feature which allowed every previous version of ps to remember, working with two monitors, where you prefer to open new files, the huge problem is that now, when you open a file, it is forced to show first on the main monitor (in my case, the non-calibrated one), and when you drag it to the the monitor where you work, the colors mutes. But they don’t mute accordingly to the profile of the second monitor, they shift inconsistently, in the sense that if you try to change the profile of the main monitor, every change produces different results when you drag the file to the second monitor (which has always the same profile).

I think that it is not a bug, it is a disaster!

Hope that adobe would fix this, otherwise cs4 is useless.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
Mar 16, 2009
I calibrate both of my monitors, you should too. I don’t have any muting going on.
MM
mary_morgian
Mar 16, 2009
Yes, but no device is completely equal to another, you need to have an "absolute" reference (one monitor)… the majority of people I think use just one monitor to control colors.

I’ve just tried to drag the opened file to the calibrated monitor: discovering that changing the profile of the uncalibrated one will affect the file *even* if it’s on the other monitor! That’s unacceptable.

Just reinstalled CS3: none of these problems there.
R
Ram
Mar 16, 2009
I cannot reproduce your problem at all, Mary. It has to be something specific to your system.

I do calibrate and profile both of my monitors, regularly and often.
MM
mary_morgian
Mar 16, 2009
Ramòn, I’m on a powermac g5, with an eizo colorgraphic as "working" monitor and a cheap old samsung as "palettes/generalapps/main" monitor.
I like to keep the eizo as "second" monitor because when I go full screen mode, there is no dock/bar around.

I’m considering to upgrade the old samsung, but by now I can’t. And unfortunately it’s not very prone to be calibrated accurately. ^_^

Anyway, the point is that if the user, like me, prefer to use the secondary monitor as the "work on" one, the calibration settings on the main monitor will affect the image, even if the image lies on the other monitor.

This can be verified by opening the system settings and clicking on some other monitor profile (try general sRGB or adobeRGB).

I understand that is it possible to calibrate correctly both monitors, but what if, for any reason, the user can’t?

I tried to switch the monitors’ order (making the eizo the main one, with the dock on it, to better understanding), but the situation gets ever stranger, so I’m concentrating on the behaviour of my usual configuration.

What makes me a little upset is that cs3 has none of these issues… but I was liking cs4 very much (new features, better performances)!
R
Ram
Mar 16, 2009
I understand that is it possible to calibrate correctly both monitors, but what if, for any reason, the user can’t?

Then that system has a problem.

the point is that if the user, like me, prefer to use the secondary monitor as the "work on" one, the calibration settings on the main monitor will affect the image, even if the image lies on the other monitor.

No way. But I’m not here to argue with you, so I’ll take your word for the fact that you can’t get it to work.
B
Buko
Mar 16, 2009
If you have two brands of monitor, one is expensive and the other cheap they will never match. They can be close but they will never match. If you want a perfect match you need two matching high quality monitors.
MM
mary_morgian
Mar 16, 2009
Pardon my insistence: you are saying that you use the same configuration as I use (second monitor as "working one") and if you try to play with the profiles of the main one, this doesn’t affect the image on the second?
(to be fussy, you have to click on some different profile, then click on the image, to see the changing… if you don’t select the image, nothing happens)

I’ll be very thankful if you could clear to me the point above: if you don’t have this problem, it will be clear that the problem could be only mine.

Thanks a lot for helping.
MM
mary_morgian
Mar 16, 2009
@Buko,
I know… :'(
But till now an upper class monitor was enough, in order to do an accurate job. Never cared about perfect matching, I didn’t need it.
Now my problem is that the cheap monitor is affecting the quality of the expensive one… and that is a bit frustrating.
R
Ram
Mar 17, 2009
if you try to play with the profiles of the main one, this doesn’t affect the image on the second?

Of course it does not.
B
Buko
Mar 17, 2009
Unless you are naming the monitor profiles the same.
B
Buko
Mar 17, 2009
I prefer the good monitor to be number 1 but each monitor has its own profile. If I use the profile for my ACD on the cheap panel monitor it looks like sh!t and vise versa.
R
randalqueen
Mar 17, 2009
Mary –

I have a macbook pro which would be like your old samsung monitor. Not worth viewing images on. I also have a 23" Apple Cinema Display. I calibrate the ACD and use this as my main monitor. I then dragged all the palletes over to the notebook. I can now press F for full screen and have all my palletes always available on the notebook. The only time I need to press F to get out of full screen when working on an image is when I need to change an option on a menu bar, like changing the sponge from saturate to de-saturate.

I then saved this setup as Dual Monitor. When I do not have the ACD hooked up then I use Essential.

There is one problem I have found doing this though… when going into Bridge with only the notebook and leaving PS4 in Dual Monitor, when you hit to view an image in full screen in Bridge, it won’t. The title bar disappears but that’s it. I can go to slideshow and that works, but the spacebar does not. But this rarely matters.

Anyway, just a thought. You run PS4 on the main screen and drag all the pallets to the other screen and place them exactly where you want and they stay there, open all the time. This is different than running PS4 on the second screen and dragging the image to the other monitor that is calibrated.

I have found the at least on the macbook pro, if you try to drag the image onto the ACD to edit, there are times it is as if PS will eventually use the profile for the notebook instead and you get bad image edits if you do this. This is normally after a few hours of editing. Anyway, hope all that makes sense.

Good luck.

Randal
MM
mary_morgian
Mar 17, 2009
@Ramòn
Thank you.
Now I have to discover why my system does. :'(

@Buko
I have one profile for the cheap monitor too, which is not the same of the good monitor. Thanks for advicing anyway.

@randalqueen
Thanks a lot for you deep explanations.
I also tried to run ps in the calibrated screen and drag the palettes on the cheap one, but when I open an image it shows still a lot less contrast and strange colors (though the "muting" is different from the other situation).
In the last paragraph you say that something similar happens to you after few hours of editing: I just tried to open ps after one night and it happens immediately.

Thanks everybody, I’m gonna try to make some tests and, in case, phone to adobe.
R
randalqueen
Mar 17, 2009
Yes Mary – I talked with people at Adobe when I was there last about the problem with dragging the image from the one screen, the ok screen, to the properly calibrated screen to work on and that after time, the images would seem to mute and take on the profile of the other screen. I did not follow up on this.

I will say that working strictly on the calibrated system as my main screen and running the palettes onto the other has worked flawlessly for me and that way I can also preview things in Firefox with CM and all is well.

Not sure why you are having the problem but wish you luck…

randal

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections