dual monitors with 2 differnet colour temps.

DK
Posted By
d.kellyNOSPAM
Feb 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I have a dual monitor setup. Both monitors are identical and were bought together. But they display colours differently, even though the settings are exactly the same. And I can’t seem to get rid of this problem, no matter how much tweaking of the manual colour ballance I do. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem?

Equipment:

2 x Iiiyama VM Pro 413 17" HM703UTABK
Matrox P750 (latest BIOS and Drivers)
Windows XP SP1

Thanks,
Jack

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

XT
xalinai_Two
Feb 6, 2004
On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 18:38:04 -0000, "Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)" wrote:

Hi,

I have a dual monitor setup. Both monitors are identical and were bought together. But they display colours differently, even though the settings are exactly the same. And I can’t seem to get rid of this problem, no matter how much tweaking of the manual colour ballance I do. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem?

What color balance are you changing, that of the monitor or something in the Matrox drivers?

Michael

Equipment:

Windows XP SP1

Thanks,
Jack

MM
Mister Max
Feb 6, 2004
(Xalinai) posted:

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 18:38:04 -0000, "Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)" wrote:

Hi,

I have a dual monitor setup. Both monitors are identical and were bought together. But they display colours differently, even though the settings are exactly the same.

What color balance are you changing, that of the monitor or something in the Matrox drivers?

Michael

I have never been able to get my two monitors even close. Both are Sony – 200S and G410. I have attempted to balance them with Adobe Gamma, Matrox (550), and the monitor controls. I’ve decided it’s hopeless. – Max —
MisterMax
Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, France, Malaysia, Maui, Morocco, Mt Holly, Sicily, St Tropez, Singapore, Thailand, Tour de France: http://buten.net/max/ (Yes,RemoveDoubles is part of my email address. The double letters in my last name are not.)
P
Porter
Feb 6, 2004
"Daniel Kelly (AKA Jack)" wrote
in message
Hi,

I have a dual monitor setup. Both monitors are identical and
were bought
together. But they display colours differently, even though
the settings
are exactly the same. And I can’t seem to get rid of this
problem, no
matter how much tweaking of the manual colour ballance I do.
I wonder if
anyone else has had this problem?

Equipment:

Windows XP SP1

Thanks,
Jack

Yes, I’ve seen it, and rooted for solutions. Sometimes found them, and sometimes cannot. A couple things you might want to check that have tripped me up in the past:

Are they both referencing the same correct driver, or is it possible that your Windows has slipped a plug/play plain vanilla driver (or even something else) onto one of them? Are you sure that every single setting is indeed the same? Even in all those little closets and drawers of all those assorted tabs? Are you comparing apples to apples? Meaning, are you viewing/checking with identical application screens on both of those two
monitors.

Have you tried reversing their positions on the desktop? Just to see if it’s partly due to the way light is reflected in the room, and/or off of your other monitor? Even when I’ve had them perfect, they could still look different when my data wasn’t identical, because one screen would be getting some reflected light off his companion.

Porter
KV
Klaas Visser
Feb 6, 2004
On 07/02/04 05:38 Daniel Kelly (AKA Jack) wrote the following<br>

Hi,

Equipment:

Windows XP SP1

Thanks,
Jack

This is pretty much normal for CRT monitors, even from the same manufacturing batch. I have two Sony monitors (driven by a Parhelia), and the secondary has a noticeable red tinge. I’ve messed with the monitor controls (particulary the individual RGB ones), and got closer.

An issue with WinXP and dual monitors is that you can only load one profile for both monitors, so you need a colour calibration tool that copes with this. The Parhelia shipped with Coloreal, a calibration tool that will allow you to profile both monitors seperately, but uses teh one profile file. I tried this for a while, but much prefered using Adobe Gamma.

As I use the primary monitor for the image, and the secondary only displays the palettes, etc, not having the secondary colour calibrated isn’t a big issue for me.

cheers
Klaas

Learning without thought is labour lost;
Thought without learning is perilous.
– Confucius
DK
d.kellyNOSPAM
Feb 9, 2004
Thanks for your help, everyone!

Thanks,
Jack

"Klaas Visser" wrote in message
On 07/02/04 05:38 Daniel Kelly (AKA Jack) wrote the following<br>
Hi,

I have a dual monitor setup. Both monitors are identical and were
bought
together. But they display colours differently, even though the
settings
are exactly the same. And I can’t seem to get rid of this problem, no matter how much tweaking of the manual colour ballance I do. I wonder
if
anyone else has had this problem?

Equipment:

Windows XP SP1

Thanks,
Jack

This is pretty much normal for CRT monitors, even from the same manufacturing batch. I have two Sony monitors (driven by a Parhelia), and the secondary has a noticeable red tinge. I’ve messed with the monitor controls (particulary the individual RGB ones), and got closer.
An issue with WinXP and dual monitors is that you can only load one profile for both monitors, so you need a colour calibration tool that copes with this. The Parhelia shipped with Coloreal, a calibration tool that will allow you to profile both monitors seperately, but uses teh one profile file. I tried this for a while, but much prefered using Adobe Gamma.

As I use the primary monitor for the image, and the secondary only displays the palettes, etc, not having the secondary colour calibrated isn’t a big issue for me.

cheers
Klaas

Learning without thought is labour lost;
Thought without learning is perilous.
– Confucius

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections