J
Posted By
jnorman17
Dec 25, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve just installed a new Dell 2408WFP wide gamut monitor and will be using it with PS photo editing. I plan to purchase an Xrite i1Display2 for calibrating this monitor. I’m a bit confused by some postings in other forums about whether a WG monitor can be properly calibrated by this (and similar) colorimeters. I figure you guys would know. What say?

Jerry

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

WE
Wolf_Eilers
Dec 26, 2008
I have the same monitor. There is no problem calibrating these monitors. What is a problem (to some) however is the fact that many Windows applications are not colour managed.

The monitor you have approximates the gamut of AdobeRGB. If you display an sRGB tagged image in a non-colour managed app the image will appear over saturated on a wide gamut monitor. For all your critical colour work you need to use fully colour managed applications. Many of the free and popular image viewers on Windows are either entirely colour ignorant or only partially manage colours.
J
jnorman17
Dec 26, 2008
Thanks Wolf. If you are by chance a photographer, do you stay in AdobeRGB throughout your workflow, only changing to SRGB for output to printers or web?

Jerry
WE
Wolf_Eilers
Dec 26, 2008
I live in ProPhoto RGB in 16 bit mode. I may convert to AdobeRGB 8 bit when I send to a pro printer and, of course, convert to sRGB for web use.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections