Posted By
dellphinus
Apr 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Greetings,

Looking for some advice/experience on image management/cataloging applications. I’ve been experimenting with Dell Image Expert (understand it was bought by JASC, then dropped?), and ACDSee. I’m getting ready to start a project and will need to enter a fair amount of historical data on each image, so I don’t want to start with a product that will not be transportable to the final product (if I don’t start with the final). Kind new to this, but I think my requirements are (in no particular order):
1. Automatic cataloging of directories (point it to a folder/CDROM,
and it gets all the images and adds them to the database).

2. Ability to track images by CD volume label (I select a thumbnail to open, and the program tells me to insert CD blah blah blah)

3. Database size- this might be important, I’ve got seven peach crates of albums and scrapbooks to scan/catalog, and a couple coat boxes of loose snapshots and portraits.
Not to mention my current/ongoing photographic endeavors.

4. Transportability- If the application I put all this time and effort into goes belly up, can I transport all the image info into a new app without having to retype, or end up using the old app and some new app.

5. Ease of adding image info. IE is pretty easy- select a thumb, click on the info tab and start typing.

6. Sort/Search on multiple keywords, date, image info

7. Ability to link more than one file to a thumb/entry? I have visions of storing all the raw scans on one set of CDs, and storing finished/manipulated images on another set, and then completed scrapbook/albums on a third set. WOrk process will be to scan all the images /items, then come back and edit/cleanup, then come back and assemble albums (not image man. program albums, elctronic versions of photo-albums/scrapbooks) It’d be nice, I think, to be able to see all files associated with a given image.

8. Centralized image info storage. If I need to transfer to a new hard drive, or make backups, how hard is it to do.

DO any such beasts exist?

Any and all advice welcome.

Thanks,
DP

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

L
lkrz
Apr 5, 2004
Looking for some advice/experience on image management/cataloging applications. Ive been experimenting with Dell Image Expert (understand it was bought by JASC, then dropped?), and ACDSee. Im getting ready to start a project and will need to enter a fair amount of historical data on each image, so I dont want to start with a product that will not be transportable to the final

There are two "pro" level image databases that I know of. Both are used by newspaper and magazine service.
The one I like is fotostation.
http://www.fotostation.com
The other is Extensis.
http://www.extensis.com/

http://www.madmousergraphics.com
web design, print design, photography
W
WharfRat
Apr 6, 2004
in article , Dell Phinus at
wrote on 4/5/04 8:45 AM:

Greetings,

Looking for some advice/experience on image management/cataloging applications. I’ve been experimenting with Dell Image Expert (understand it was bought by JASC, then dropped?), and ACDSee. I’m getting ready to start a project and will need to enter a fair amount of historical data on each image, so I don’t want to start with a product that will not be transportable to the final product (if I don’t start with the final). Kind new to this, but I think my requirements are (in no particular order):
1. Automatic cataloging of directories (point it to a folder/CDROM,
and it gets all the images and adds them to the database).
2. Ability to track images by CD volume label (I select a thumbnail to open, and the program tells me to insert CD blah blah blah)
3. Database size- this might be important, I’ve got seven peach crates of albums and scrapbooks to scan/catalog, and a couple coat boxes of loose snapshots and portraits.
Not to mention my current/ongoing photographic endeavors.
4. Transportability- If the application I put all this time and effort into goes belly up, can I transport all the image info into a new app without having to retype, or end up using the old app and some new app.

5. Ease of adding image info. IE is pretty easy- select a thumb, click on the info tab and start typing.

6. Sort/Search on multiple keywords, date, image info

7. Ability to link more than one file to a thumb/entry? I have visions of storing all the raw scans on one set of CDs, and storing finished/manipulated images on another set, and then completed scrapbook/albums on a third set. WOrk process will be to scan all the images /items, then come back and edit/cleanup, then come back and assemble albums (not image man. program albums, elctronic versions of photo-albums/scrapbooks) It’d be nice, I think, to be able to see all files associated with a given image.

8. Centralized image info storage. If I need to transfer to a new hard drive, or make backups, how hard is it to do.

Any and all advice welcome.

Thanks,
DP

Maybe – look at EnFocus "Portfolio".

MSD
H
Hecate
Apr 6, 2004
On 5 Apr 2004 08:45:49 -0700, (Dell Phinus)
wrote:

Yes, they do. What you are looking for is called ThumbsPlus and it used an Access database format. It does all the things you asked. The Access format is limited to 2Gb, but because it’s SQKL compliant you can access <g> the ThumbsPlus database with any competent SQL database such as MS SQL Server or MySQL if you prefer a free database <g>

You can download a trial version from:

www.cerious.com

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
W
Waldo
Apr 6, 2004
Maybe – look at EnFocus "Portfolio".

Isn’t Portfolio a product of the company named Extensis???

Waldo
Nov 12, 2004
I’m looking at Thumbs Plus now, per your suggestion. It seems to do a LOT more than I need. I’m wondering if there’s any way to get File Maker Pro, a database program I already have, to do the cataloging and linking?

Would anybody on this newsgroup know?

<*)))))><{

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 03:20:50 +0100, Hecate wrote:

|On 5 Apr 2004 08:45:49 -0700, (Dell Phinus)
|wrote:
|
|
|>DO any such beasts exist?
|>
|Yes, they do. What you are looking for is called ThumbsPlus and it |used an Access database format. It does all the things you asked. The |Access format is limited to 2Gb, but because it’s SQKL compliant you |can access <g> the ThumbsPlus database with any competent SQL database |such as MS SQL Server or MySQL if you prefer a free database <g> |
|You can download a trial version from:
|
|www.cerious.com
|
| —
|
|Hecate
|
|veni, vidi, reliqui
J
jjs
Nov 12, 2004
"<*)))))><{" wrote in message
I’m looking at Thumbs Plus now, per your suggestion. It seems to do a LOT more than I need. I’m wondering if there’s any way to get File Maker Pro, a database program I already have, to do the cataloging and linking?

It does too much? Whew. Ask here: comp.databases.filemaker
H
Hecate
Nov 13, 2004
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 19:18:50 -0800, "<*)))))><{" wrote:

Yes, you probably could. It really depends on how much your time is worth as it would be a big project.

Personally, though I only use the database functionality, TP is still cheap as I don’t have to spend my time designing a database that does what I need and can spend the time on photography and design instead. —

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
B
bagal
Nov 13, 2004
Troo, very troo

It also allows for offline image as well which really I very nifty (I tried the downloadable demo)

The only improvement that springs to my mind is that the png’s are a bit too small

Maybe the pro version allows for user defined alternatives?

My preference would be for full size JPEGs resample to JPEG level 5 (using PSCS level 5 from 12).

That way nit allows for closer scrutiny of the image before finding the original on offline storage media

Aerticus

"Hecate" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 19:18:50 -0800, "<*)))))><{" wrote:

Yes, you probably could. It really depends on how much your time is worth as it would be a big project.

Personally, though I only use the database functionality, TP is still cheap as I don’t have to spend my time designing a database that does what I need and can spend the time on photography and design instead. —

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
H
Hecate
Nov 14, 2004
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 19:10:09 GMT, "Aerticus"
wrote:

Troo, very troo

It also allows for offline image as well which really I very nifty (I tried the downloadable demo)

The only improvement that springs to my mind is that the png’s are a bit too small

Maybe the pro version allows for user defined alternatives?
My preference would be for full size JPEGs resample to JPEG level 5 (using PSCS level 5 from 12).

That way nit allows for closer scrutiny of the image before finding the original on offline storage media
What any program shows you as a quality setting for jpgs is entirely arbitrary and only applies to that program. A quality setting for jpg in PS is different from one in Photopaint, which is different from one in Paintshop Pro which is different… you get the picture. It’s application and software company specific.

As for the size of jpg’s you can have them whatever size/quality you like for the thumbnails. It’s all in the preference settings for the TP software. Of course, the higher the quality/size, the bigger the database.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections