Transparent GIF image shows up with a gray background when image is inserted in another application

GF
Posted By
glen_fun
Nov 20, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
HELP! I am using Photoshop 7.01. My "supposed" transparent GIF image shows up with a gray background when the image is inserted in another application. I have saved my PSD image with a transparent background as a transparent GIF file (Settings: selective; no dither; transparency checked; diffusion transparency; lossy at 0; 128 colors; amount at 100%).

What is wrong with what I am doing? I can’t get my image to be transparent…even when I try to save as a tranparent png file. Please help. Thanks.

Glen

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

HL
hanford_lemoore
Nov 20, 2003
Are you using "Save for web"? or just "save as…" then choosing GIF? I have not problem with the "save for web" command and choosing GIF.

Also, make sure your transparencty is 100% transparent (0% opaque). You can do this with the eyedropper and the Info pallette.

Also, make sure your application you’re importing the GIF into supports transparency. Test it with Internet Explorer: drag the gif into IE’s window and see if the transparency is gray, or white.

~Hanford
MM
Mac_McDougald
Nov 20, 2003
Pretty normal behavior actually.
The transparent GIF thing is really coded for web browsers primarily. Depending on the app, either a transparent TIFF/PSD or a TIFF with clipping path will be necessary.

Even the mighty mite Irfanview will show transparent GIFs with gray background.

Mac
L
LenHewitt
Nov 20, 2003
Glen,

when the image is inserted in another application<<

What "other application" ??

Very few applications other than web browsers support transparent gifs
GF
glen_fun
Nov 20, 2003
Thanks everyone for all your kind assistance. I have learnt a few things regarding making transparent gifs. …Glen

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections