Is there any mode that confines separate image windows within the app frame?

DG
Posted By
David_Gurney
Dec 5, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all.

I was very happy to find the "application frame" option under the Window menu in CS4. Yay, no more looking at other apps or items on my desktop when I’m trying to do image editing. Then I was much less happy to find what appears to be major dysfunction in that mode.

First, the default display when the application frame is on is a sort of tabbed view that only shows one image at a time. OK, some might want that… but none of the options under the "arrange documents" button on the toolbar work. I tried "arrange all in grid" and nothing happened. None of the modes did anything; the view continued to show only one image at a time (and there would have been plenty of room to show both).

So I picked "Float all in windows", but the flaw there is that the resulting windows aren’t confined by the application frame. You move the app frame around, minimize it, or resize it… and the images remain stupidly in place, even when the app is minimized to the dock.

I understand that people with multiple monitors might not want to corral everything in one window, so the app should let them break palettes and images free of the app frame. But the app should start with a proper application frame that CONFINES EVERYTHING and lets you resize, move, and minimize the entire UI.

Herding a bunch of windows around the screen is just ridiculous. Am I missing some view-mode option, or is Adobe this clueless about windowing UIs decades after their invention?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 5, 2008
In Standard Screen mode; with Application frame active; and with several files open in Tabs:

Go to the N-up icon in the Application Bar (make that visible from the Window menu);

From the N-up icon’s drop-down menu, click on the diagram which shows a window-arrangement that suits you.

Your files will be in separate resizable windows contained within the Application frame.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections