K
Posted By
kirrwed
Mar 27, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to create a simple selection in PS CS4 of a square whose selection hangs off the artboard. So that when I give it a stroke effect, only two lines (an "L" shape appears on the corner of my artboard. But in CS4, any selection made that hangs off the edge of the artboard automatically snaps back to the document edge. How can I fix this?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

ZB
Zeno_Bokor
Mar 27, 2009
don’t bother moving the square outside the artboard. Add the stroke you want, and go to Blending Options and select "Layer Mask Hides Effects" and then add a layer mask and deselect the part where you don’t want the stroke to appear and then Command+Click on the layer thumbnail, click on the layer mask and fill with white
K
kirrwed
Mar 27, 2009
Thanks, but I already have some other work arounds too, that like yours, involves a lot of steps. I’m trying to figure out if you can turn off a setting of some kind to allow a selection to spill off the edge of the artboard (and not snap back to its edge), especially when using the polygonal lasso tool.
ZB
Zeno_Bokor
Mar 27, 2009
Do you have the latest version? i think remember this happening to me too but it doesn’t anymore, maybe this was fixed in the .1 patch
RS
Rayne_Sousa
Mar 28, 2009
yes, like Zeno, I beleive this was fixed in the .1 update too 🙂
R
randalqueen
Mar 29, 2009
Can you just use a larger canvas and then resize the canvas and use the diagonal arrow to point to a corner to basically crop that out as the next step of the action?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections