BB
Posted By
Brad_Bosley
Apr 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If I select an area with the rectangle selection tool and want to make it bigger can I do this with out having to select again? Can I just drag the border I want wider or smaller and have it do that?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

G
graffiti
Apr 28, 2004
Make your selection then go to Select>Transform selection.
J
jonf
Apr 28, 2004
For crying out loud. When did that option become available? I’ve been irritated by this snag for years, and hadn’t noticed that menu item. Is that new to PS7 or am I an ignorant doofus?
SF
Scott_Falkner
Apr 28, 2004
That’s been around for a while. One caveat, the corners will be rounded.

You could press Q, then Command T, scale your rectangle, press Enter, then press Q to turn off Quickmask.
J
jonf
Apr 28, 2004
Well, I did jump straight from 4 to 7. I’m just hoping it wasn’t in 4 all along and I never knew it.

The Quickmask method is probably better then, for getting a proper rectangle. I’ve been filling the selection on its own layer, use command-t to scale it, then command-clicking the layer palette to select the area. Then I need to throw away that layer. It sounds like the Quickmask features cuts out a couple of steps.
SF
Scott_Falkner
Apr 28, 2004
Quickmask: One of Photoshop’s longest and best kept secrets. I find new benefits for it all the time.
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 28, 2004
I do not find that transforming a rectangular selection with no feather rounds the corners… even slightly.
SF
Scott_Falkner
Apr 28, 2004
I do not find that transforming a rectangular selection with no feather rounds the corners… even slightly.

Not transforming, expanding.
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 28, 2004
I think we’ve been talkig about transforming here.

graffiti: "Make your selection then go to Select>Transform selection." jonf: "When did that option become available?" Scott F: "That’s been around for a while. One caveat, the corners will be rounded."

Expanding a rectangular selection does indeed round the corners.
P
PShock
Apr 28, 2004
No rounded corners here.
SF
Scott_Falkner
Apr 28, 2004
Oops. My bad. I somehow thought that Transform Selection was the same as Modify.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections