SC
Posted By
stephen crawford
Nov 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, is there a way you can lock a shape I’ve drawn so it cannot be selected with the Path/Direct Selection Tools (A)?

Thanks for your help.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Bernie
Nov 22, 2006
You can lock the layer the shape is in so it won’t move.
SC
stephen crawford
Nov 22, 2006
I know you can lock the layer so it won’t move but what I want to do is make it so it’s locked so it won’t move and locked so I can’t select it with the path selection tools.

Thanks
B
Bernie
Nov 22, 2006
And AFAIK, that’s the extent of what you can do.

to avoid selecting altogether, you can hide the shape layer (though I suspect that will cause other problems, right?)
SC
stephen crawford
Nov 22, 2006
Yeah…I wish the Photoshop boys and girls spoke to the Illustrator boys and girls!
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Nov 22, 2006
They can’t…they speak two different languages…Vector and Raster
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Nov 22, 2006
What is the intention? If you use the overall rightmost lock it locks everything. Yes, you can Select with the Selection tool but you can’t modify it on the layer.

The path itself doesn’t really exist on the layer; it exists in the Paths palette "layers".
SC
stephen crawford
Nov 23, 2006
The reason why I want to do this is because

• I overlay one smaller shape ( A ) over a shape that takes up nearly all the space on the page shape ( B )

• I’m working on the Shape A and want to deselect it normally I would click outside of that shape, but by clicking outside I would then select the larger shape B

• I don’t want to do this because if I needed to reselect shape A I couldn’t because shape B would be selected underneath.

• I would have to go to the layer palette and click on another layer.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Nov 23, 2006
Might be easier to do all this from the Paths palette.
DK
Doug_Katz
Nov 23, 2006
Stephen, for the purpose you outline above, why not check Auto Select Layer in the options bar with the move tool active? This way, you need lock nothing. Wherever you click with the move tool, the layer under your cursor is activated.

Unless, of course, you’re selecting these layers, not with the move tool, but with either path selection tool. If so, my idea fails. If so, Ed’s way is the only way I can see.
SC
stephen crawford
Nov 23, 2006
Yep, I’m starting to think the layers palette may be the only way too.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Nov 23, 2006
This is one of my serious pet peeves about how Photoshop locks items. A locked layers should not allow any input at all, be it a selection, movement, path editing… anything. Photoshop does.

Layer 3 – shape layer
Layer 2 – raster image
Layer 1 – Live type layer
Layer 0 – background pattern fill.

Lock Layer 2 then grab the type tool. Click to create new type above Layer 3 in the same position type is on Layer 1. What happens is the cursor is inserted on Layer 1 and a warning telling you you can edit Layer 1 pops up. Why is Layer 1 factored in at all? it’s locked for heavens sake!

The only real way around it is to turn off a layers visibility in the Layers Palette as well as locking it.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections