D
Posted By
Demolisher
Jul 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Well after reading all of the replies to my previous post on how to copy a selection marquee to another part of the image (note: not the image data selected, but the shape of the marquee itself), and after trying various variants on the ideas presented. Here is the fastest simplest way I have found to do it:

1. Perform your selection operation using one of the selection tools.
2. Switch to quick mask mode (Shortcut: q) Notice that the selected area is
now visible, while the rest of the image is covered by the silkscreen (assuming you have it set up to mask the unselected area).
3. Reselect (Shortcut: Ctrl-Shift-D) This is the key. You now have the
selection shape back, while your previous selection is set as part of the mask.
4. Move the selection to another point on the image, by clicking within it and dragging while any selection tool is chosen.
5. Fill the selection with blackness (Shortcut: Alt-Backspace) To add the new area under the selection to the unmasked area.
6. Repeat steps 3-6 for as many copies of the original selection as you would like.
7. Exit quick mask mode (Shortcut: q)

You now have two or more things selected, while retaining your original marquee shape for each of them. While the number of steps above may seem large, it usually takes about 2-3 seconds to perform steps 2-7 with practice, making this method quite possibly the fastest way of doing this.

Thanks to all the people that replied to my previous message,

Mike

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MC
MArtin Chiselwitt
Jul 28, 2004
Demolisher wrote:
Well after reading all of the replies to my previous post on how to copy a selection marquee to another part of the image (note: not the image data selected, but the shape of the marquee itself), and after trying various variants on the ideas presented. Here is the fastest simplest way I have found to do it:

1. Perform your selection operation using one of the selection tools.
2. Switch to quick mask mode (Shortcut: q) Notice that the selected area is
now visible, while the rest of the image is covered by the silkscreen (assuming you have it set up to mask the unselected area).
3. Reselect (Shortcut: Ctrl-Shift-D) This is the key. You now have the
selection shape back, while your previous selection is set as part of the mask.
4. Move the selection to another point on the image, by clicking within it and dragging while any selection tool is chosen.
5. Fill the selection with blackness (Shortcut: Alt-Backspace) To add the new area under the selection to the unmasked area.
6. Repeat steps 3-6 for as many copies of the original selection as you would like.
7. Exit quick mask mode (Shortcut: q)

You now have two or more things selected, while retaining your original marquee shape for each of them. While the number of steps above may seem large, it usually takes about 2-3 seconds to perform steps 2-7 with practice, making this method quite possibly the fastest way of doing this.
Thanks to all the people that replied to my previous message,
Mike
imho, i disagree. the fastest method is the pen tool. after drawing the path, all you have to do is hit ctrl + enter wherever you drag your path or copies of it…
plus, the selection is always saved in the paths pallette for future use imho….
D
Demolisher
Jul 28, 2004
"MArtin Chiselwitt" wrote in message
imho, i disagree. the fastest method is the pen tool. after drawing the path, all you have to do is hit ctrl + enter wherever you drag your path or copies of it…

What if you used the magic wand to select a complex, potentially non-contiguous selection?
What if your selection has multiple levels of partial transparency (e.g. feathering)?

My solution took all of this into account.

Mike
MC
MArtin Chiselwitt
Jul 29, 2004
Demolisher wrote:
"MArtin Chiselwitt" wrote in message

What if you used the magic wand to select a complex, potentially non-contiguous selection?
What if your selection has multiple levels of partial transparency (e.g. feathering)?

My solution took all of this into account.

Mike
ooh, pardon me for breathing

whatever boils your potatoes eh dude?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections