DR
Posted By
Desert Rat
Sep 5, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Recently immigrated from Paint Shop Pro X to PS CS2. In PSP X I could make a selection shape on an image using the Selection Tool, say a rectangle for cropping, then save that selection shape and dimensions to a library. I could then open another image, load the saved selection from the library and perform the function I wanted.

In CS2 I’m having trouble duplicating this. I’ll open an image, create my selection and choose Select>Save selection. I’m then offered the option to save the selection as the existing document name or a new document. I’ve tried saving the selection both as a .psd file or as the existing document. I’ll then open an image and try Select>Load selection but since the opened image is a "background" and locked this option is not available. If I duplicate the layer the Select>Load selection is available but when I try and call up the selection I saved there is no option to load it. I have been able to do it by leaving the original image open, opening a new image and then dragging the channel which contains the selection from the old image to the new image. I then have to use the magic wand to select the unwanted "masked area"(?), invert it and then my selection is then visible BUT not exactly the same.

Obviously there is a simple way to do this but I have done a pretty extensive search in both CS2 newsgroups and in CS2 tutorials and can’t seem to find a solution. As stated in the beginning this was a 5 second process in PSP X so I hope I’m missing really basic in duplicating this in CS2.

As steep as the learning curve is in CS2 I’m extremely happy with it! Thankfully, the basics of layering, masking and a lot of other functions are similar enough to PSP X or I fear I might never master it. Let me modify that…not master but become nominally proficient at using it ๐Ÿ™‚

TIA for any suggestions

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups ๐Ÿ”ฅ

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

TB
Tony Blair
Sep 5, 2006
"Desert Rat" wrote in message
Recently immigrated from Paint Shop Pro X to PS CS2. In PSP X I could

I just tried this by opening an image, making a selection, saving the selection – gave the selection a name, saved and closed the file, then opened a new file and the old one at the same time, when I went to the selection menu in the new image, it gave me the option of opening the selection from the old image!!
A
Aaron
Sep 5, 2006
Desert Rat wrote:
Recently immigrated from Paint Shop Pro X to PS CS2. In PSP X I could make a selection shape on an image using the Selection Tool, say a rectangle for cropping, then save that selection shape and dimensions to a library. I could then open another image, load the saved selection from the library and perform the function I wanted.

In CS2 I’m having trouble duplicating this. I’ll open an image, create my selection and choose Select>Save selection. I’m then offered the option to save the selection as the existing document name or a new document. I’ve tried saving the selection both as a .psd file or as the existing document. I’ll then open an image and try Select>Load selection but since the opened image is a "background" and locked this option is not available. If I duplicate the layer the Select>Load selection is available but when I try and call up the selection I saved there is no option to load it. I have been able to do it by leaving the original image open, opening a new image and then dragging the channel which contains the selection from the old image to the new image. I then have to use the magic wand to select the unwanted "masked area"(?), invert it and then my selection is then visible BUT not exactly the same.

Obviously there is a simple way to do this but I have done a pretty extensive search in both CS2 newsgroups and in CS2 tutorials and can’t seem to find a solution. As stated in the beginning this was a 5 second process in PSP X so I hope I’m missing really basic in duplicating this in CS2.

As steep as the learning curve is in CS2 I’m extremely happy with it! Thankfully, the basics of layering, masking and a lot of other functions are similar enough to PSP X or I fear I might never master it. Let me modify that…not master but become nominally proficient at using it ๐Ÿ™‚

TIA for any suggestions

First of all, saving the selection uses channels, so you need to save the file in a format that supports channels. PSD is one, TIFF is another. I would recommend saving everything as a PSD just because you know you’ll get all the features available.

As for using a selection created in one image in a second image, that’s a little bit different. Photoshop doesn’t have a "library" of selections independent from the files they were created in. So, in order to get a selection from one document to another, you DO have to either drag the selection or drag the channel from the source document to the destination document.

Spend some time experimenting and I’m sure you’ll find the best way to do what you need to do.

Aaron

"Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." — John Stuart Mill
MI
mal_ice_uk
Sep 5, 2006
As for using a selection created in one image in a second image, that’s a little bit different. Photoshop doesn’t have a "library" of selections independent from the files they were created in. So, in order to get a selection from one document to another, you DO have to either drag the selection or drag the channel from the source document to the destination document.
Or when you have a selection already highlighted in your document, select "Select" on the menu, then save selection. You can give it a name. You can do this for many different selections and all this does is create named channels, which you could equally have done manually as well.

Then from within the other document select "Select" then load selection whilst both docs are open and you can choose which previously saved selection (channel) you want to load from any of your other opened docs.

I found dragging to be a bit hit and miss between docs.
DR
Desert Rat
Sep 5, 2006
Aaron wrote:
Desert Rat wrote:

TIA for any suggestions

First of all, saving the selection uses channels, so you need to save the file in a format that supports channels. PSD is one, TIFF is another. I would recommend saving everything as a PSD just because you know you’ll get all the features available.

Spend some time experimenting and I’m sure you’ll find the best way to do what you need to do.

Aaron

"Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." — John Stuart Mill

Thanks for the info Aaron. I’m working with scanned TIFF images (restoring old 2 1/4" square photos). Your suggestion of dragging the selection from one image to another seems to work the best for my purpose which is to create a standard cropping selection. I overscan the images to include partial borders so I want to create a selection I can apply to all. I found that if I created the selection as a channel I would then have to still modify it to get it to the selection size after dragging it to the new image. Shame there’s no way to library selections but the workarounds are easy to remember and will work as well even if it takes a bit longer to get there.
DR
Desert Rat
Sep 5, 2006
wrote:
Or when you have a selection already highlighted in your document, select "Select" on the menu, then save selection. You can give it a name. You can do this for many different selections and all this does is create named channels, which you could equally have done manually as well.

Then from within the other document select "Select" then load selection whilst both docs are open and you can choose which previously saved selection (channel) you want to load from any of your other opened docs.
I found dragging to be a bit hit and miss between docs.

Sorry but that didn’t work for me. When I name the document and save it it still doesn’t show up when I open a new document. In addition, the option to "Load Selection" is not available on a newly opened image which is just the background image. The option to Load Selection is not available. Once I change the background layer (by duplicating or renaming it) then the Load selection is available but the only option is for the existing document. I cannot access any saved channels or ..psd images from the drop down menu in the Source>Document box.
N
noone
Sep 5, 2006
In article ,
says…
Aaron wrote:
Desert Rat wrote:

Thanks for the info Aaron. I’m working with scanned TIFF images (restoring old 2 1/4" square photos). Your suggestion of dragging the selection from one image to another seems to work the best for my purpose which is to create a standard cropping selection. I overscan the images to include partial borders so I want to create a selection I can apply to all. I found that if I created the selection as a channel I would then have to still modify it to get it to the selection size after dragging it to the new image. Shame there’s no way to library selections but the workarounds are easy to remember and will work as well even if it takes a bit longer to get there.

One thing that you might want to think about doing, is setting up a blank image (Image>New, or Ctrl-n) with the size/rez, that you will be scanning. In blank imgage, make a Selection of the desired size, Save Selection [name here] and then Save that image – TIF would be fine. It will basically be a blank Background (italicized) and the single Alpha Channel. All you will need to do is Open this newly created image and use that Selection from it. If you have set up the image with regards to Mode, Size, etc. it will be very close. This is basically what the FX Photo Edges are – Alpha Channels, saved as TIFF.

If you find yourself working with different resolutions, or image sizes, you can re-size your image (one w/ Alpha Channel) to meet your needs, but you’ll probably find that if you are doing the scanning, everything will conform to one, or maybe two, sizes. If that’s the case, Save_As [different name here] for the other size(s). I’d choose a naming convention with the image size/rez in the name.

Hunt
DR
Desert Rat
Sep 6, 2006
Hunt wrote:
In article ,
says…
Aaron wrote:
Desert Rat wrote:

One thing that you might want to think about doing, is setting up a blank image (Image>New, or Ctrl-n) with the size/rez, that you will be scanning. In blank imgage, make a Selection of the desired size, Save Selection [name here] and then Save that image – TIF would be fine. It will basically be a blank Background (italicized) and the single Alpha Channel. All you will need to do is Open this newly created image and use that Selection from it. If you have set up the image with regards to Mode, Size, etc. it will be very close. This is basically what the FX Photo Edges are – Alpha Channels, saved as TIFF.
If you find yourself working with different resolutions, or image sizes, you can re-size your image (one w/ Alpha Channel) to meet your needs, but you’ll probably find that if you are doing the scanning, everything will conform to one, or maybe two, sizes. If that’s the case, Save_As [different name here] for the other size(s). I’d choose a naming convention with the image size/rez in the name.

Hunt

I tried your suggestion but the problem is that whenever I open the new image (one that I have already scanned) I cannot access the Load Selection option under Select. Even if I change the Background layer to Layer 0 or just duplicate the existing background layer and am able to access the Select>Load selection option there is no option for me to open the saved selection from the image file I saved per your instructions. The only option available in the Load Selection window under Document box>Source is the existing file name. No option to open the selection I saved as i.e. "Crop 1".

I’m obviously doing something very wrong because every response here seems to indicate that I should be able to open a saved selection from the Load Selection window but this is what I’m seeing. This is starting to be very frustating as I really could just open a scanned image and then apply a new selection and then crop it but I don’t always get the exact same selection dimensions. The ability to have a fixed selection size would be of great benifit considering I have somewhere around 3000 images to process.
J
jenelisepasceci
Sep 6, 2006
"Desert Rat" wrote:

Hunt wrote:
In article ,
says…
….
I tried your suggestion but the problem is that whenever I open the new image (one that I have already scanned) I cannot access the Load Selection option under Select. Even if I change the Background layer to Layer 0 or just duplicate the existing background layer and am able to access the Select>Load selection option there is no option for me to open the saved selection from the image file I saved per your instructions. The only option available in the Load Selection window under Document box>Source is the existing file name. No option to open the selection I saved as i.e. "Crop 1".
….

The document which contains the selection must:

1. be open in PS
2. have the same size as the document, to which you want to apply the selection.
3. The layer, to which the selection is to be applied, must not be the background layer (double click on the layer then ENTER to change it to a normal layer.

If theses criteria are met, you will be able to load a selection from a different document

But as I understand, you want to apply a rectangular selection. Why not set the rectangular selecton tool of PS to a fixed size or aspect ratio. This should work fine. And read the online help about the intricacies of the crop tool (e.g. "front image"). This might be an option as well.

Peter
N
noone
Sep 6, 2006
In article ,
says…
Hunt wrote:
In article ,
says…
Aaron wrote:
Desert Rat wrote:

One thing that you might want to think about doing, is setting up a blank image (Image>New, or Ctrl-n) with the size/rez, that you will be scanning.
In
blank imgage, make a Selection of the desired size, Save Selection [name here] and then Save that image – TIF would be fine. It will basically be a blank Background (italicized) and the single Alpha Channel. All you will
need
to do is Open this newly created image and use that Selection from it. If
you
have set up the image with regards to Mode, Size, etc. it will be very
close.
This is basically what the FX Photo Edges are – Alpha Channels, saved as
TIFF.
If you find yourself working with different resolutions, or image sizes,
you
can re-size your image (one w/ Alpha Channel) to meet your needs, but
you’ll
probably find that if you are doing the scanning, everything will conform
to
one, or maybe two, sizes. If that’s the case, Save_As [different name here] for the other size(s). I’d choose a naming convention with the image size/
rez
in the name.

Hunt

Sorry, but I wasn’t clear on that – my bad. Since PS doesn’t create a Library of Selections as some programs, Painter for one, you have to have both documents Open. When usuing the Saved Alpha Channels, I just open it first, then my images, whether scanned, created via digital capture, or created from scratch. Since you are scanning (I assume that you are scanning, though that’s not important, so long as the specs. for the scan are the same), you can set the size to a constant, then just drag the Alpha Channel, or, if that image is Open, Load Selection>Document (drop-down). It should come in at the correct size/rez to be the same with all of your images.
I’m obviously doing something very wrong because every response here seems to indicate that I should be able to open a saved selection from the Load Selection window but this is what I’m seeing. This is starting to be very frustating as I really could just open a scanned image and then apply a new selection and then crop it but I don’t always get the exact same selection dimensions. The ability to have a fixed selection size would be of great benifit considering I have somewhere around 3000 images to process.

Don’t get frustrated yet. You are on the threshold of the solution. You just need to have the images w/ the Alpha Channel Open, that’s all.

Please let me know if this helps and works.

Hunt
DR
Desert Rat
Sep 6, 2006
Peter Wollenberg wrote:

<snip>

But as I understand, you want to apply a rectangular selection. Why not set the rectangular selecton tool of PS to a fixed size or aspect ratio. This should work fine. And read the online help about the intricacies of the crop tool (e.g. "front image"). This might be an option as well.

Peter

Thanks Peter. The fixed size selection tool setting works great! Such a simple solution but it totally eluded me. Many thanks to everyone who responded for their help and suggestions.

A grateful newbie
T
theartist
Sep 6, 2006
Desert Rat wrote:

TIA for any suggestions
You can also turn the selection into a path, which you can use on a shape layer. Those you CAN save for later. Just load the shape you want from the library.

ยงยฆ: } theartist
Do the math … count your blessings.
U
usenet
Sep 7, 2006
Desert Rat wrote:

Here’s the ultra-short version:

Open an image and ake a selection. Press Q. The selected parts will turn red. Do a Select All and then a Copy.

Go to the other image. Press Q. Paste. Press Q again. You’re done.

‘Q’ is for Quickmask. Red shows you what’s selected. While you’re in quickmask mode, you can paint the selection.

If you want to save a selection, you should follow the above directions, but when you’ve got the selection on the clipboard (just after Copying it), make a new document (File -> New). Make sure ‘Clipboard’ is selected under ‘Preset:’ in the dialog, and then click ‘OK.’ Paste the selection into the new document. Save it.

To load it back up, just open that document, Select All, then Copy. Now you can paste it back into whatever quickmask you wish.

HTH.
A
Aaron
Sep 7, 2006
Paul Mitchum wrote:
Desert Rat wrote:

Open an image and ake a selection. Press Q. The selected parts will turn red. Do a Select All and then a Copy.

‘Q’ is for Quickmask. Red shows you what’s selected. While you’re in quickmask mode, you can paint the selection.

If you want to save a selection, you should follow the above directions, but when you’ve got the selection on the clipboard (just after Copying it), make a new document (File -> New). Make sure ‘Clipboard’ is selected under ‘Preset:’ in the dialog, and then click ‘OK.’ Paste the selection into the new document. Save it.

To load it back up, just open that document, Select All, then Copy. Now you can paste it back into whatever quickmask you wish.

HTH.

That is far and away the best tip I’ve read this month. I reserve the right to declare a better tip before the month is out but HOT DAMN that’s a handy trick. I didn’t know that copying the quick mask view would copy the mask shape… There are so many things I can do with this technique.

Cheers!

Aaron

N
noone
Sep 7, 2006
In article ,
says…
Paul Mitchum wrote:
Desert Rat wrote:

HTH.

That is far and away the best tip I’ve read this month. I reserve the right to declare a better tip before the month is out but HOT DAMN that’s a handy trick. I didn’t know that copying the quick mask view would copy the mask shape… There are so many things I can do with this technique.

Cheers!

Aaron

Isn’t it amazing how many ways one can do something in PS? Hardly a day goes by, that there isn’t some useful tip from this NG.

Hunt
U
usenet
Sep 7, 2006
Aaron wrote:

Paul Mitchum wrote:
Desert Rat wrote:

HTH.

It’s just the same as saving the selection to a channel and then copying/pasting the channel. Except you only have to press ‘Q.’ ๐Ÿ™‚

In fact, if you have the channel palette open while doing this, you’ll see a ‘Quickmask’ channel appear, and then disappear when you leave quickmask mode.
JF
John Forest
Sep 7, 2006
It sounds like you are really only cropping the image to a set final rectangular size. If that’s the case, the easy way is to use the crop tool. You can set the image size and the resolution, for example 5 X 7 inches at 300 pixels per inch and then just drag the tool from one corner of the image to the other to include the area you want. Once you have it approximately right you can modify the selection, rotate it, etc. Just hit the enter key to perform the selection. You can save the selection you want as a preset, and there is a handy set of arrows to click to change it from horizontal to vertical or vice versa.
DR
Desert Rat
Sep 7, 2006
Paul Mitchum wrote:
Desert Rat wrote:

HTH.

Paul, that is a very cool tip. I still have to select the "red" area, do a Select>Inverse and then I can crop to the inside selection (which is the area I want). Is this correct or is there a way to crop without the above steps?
U
usenet
Sep 8, 2006
Desert Rat wrote:

Paul Mitchum wrote:
Desert Rat wrote:

HTH.

Paul, that is a very cool tip. I still have to select the "red" area, do a Select>Inverse and then I can crop to the inside selection (which is the area I want). Is this correct or is there a way to crop without the above steps?

Here’s a question for you: Do you think Photoshop will crop out the *middle* of the image?
DR
Desert Rat
Sep 8, 2006
Paul Mitchum wrote:
Desert Rat wrote:

Paul Mitchum wrote:
Desert Rat wrote:

HTH.

Here’s a question for you: Do you think Photoshop will crop out the *middle* of the image?

Excuse me for being a bit dense but after I paste my copied Quick Mask over the new image I have the "middle" which is the area I want to retain in a crop and the outside "red" area. I have to select (magic wand) the red area and do a Select>Inverse to give me a selection area inside the red. Is this correct or am I missing something?
U
usenet
Sep 8, 2006
Desert Rat wrote:

Paul Mitchum wrote:
Desert Rat wrote:

Paul Mitchum wrote:
Desert Rat wrote:

HTH.

Excuse me for being a bit dense but after I paste my copied Quick Mask over the new image I have the "middle" which is the area I want to retain in a crop and the outside "red" area. I have to select (magic wand) the red area and do a Select>Inverse to give me a selection area inside the red. Is this correct or am I missing something?

Paste in the quickmask. Then hit Q.

In retrospect, the real victims of Fox News weren’t the liberals it attacked but the conservatives who believed it. — NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF
DR
Desert Rat
Sep 8, 2006
Paul Mitchum wrote:
Desert Rat wrote:

Paul Mitchum wrote:
Desert Rat wrote:

Paul Mitchum wrote:
Desert Rat wrote:

HTH.

Paste in the quickmask. Then hit Q.

In retrospect, the real victims of Fox News weren’t the liberals it attacked but the conservatives who believed it. — NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF

OK, I got it! Thanks for the info.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups ๐Ÿ”ฅ

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections