PT
Posted By
Paul_Takeuchi
Dec 18, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Strangely when I do a select all and then go to the Selection menu and choose Modify, all the options are grayed out except for Border. This worked in CS3, but not here in CS4. If my current selection is less than the whole document, then all the options are available under Modify. I assume this is a bug or is there some other way I can make a selection which is 1-pixel tighter than the full document’s dimensions?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MR
Mark_Reynolds
Dec 18, 2008
Yes they screwed this up in some way, there’s something wrong with ‘Select All’ selections now. Even if you go into Quick mask (Q) and choose the Maximum filter this doesn’t work either. There’s no logical reason for this, because it did in all previous versions going back to 5 or so.

The only work around is to go into quick mask and then into free transform. Then you can nudge the w and H values down one.
PT
Paul_Takeuchi
Dec 18, 2008
Mark,
I’m glad I’m not the only one. The other thing you can do is refine the selection and zero out everything except for contract percentage, but obviously this does not get you a fixed number of pixels. I ended up nudging my selection 1 pixel and cropping, doing it 4X to cover all 4 directions.
Paul
JM
J_Maloney
Dec 18, 2008
I created an action that selects all, makes new layer, fills, sets stroke to 1 pix, inside, then insert menu item layer style stroke, then sets fill to 0, then creates new layer, then moves layer down (arrange), then selects previous layer (must be entered as key command option bracket right), then merges down, then selects transparency, then selects inverse, the deletes current layer. Now you have an action that does modify. The two layer styles inputs are there so you first let the action set the stroke to 1, but more importantly, inside. Then the insert menu item version lets you input a value just like the modify dialog. If you use all relative action inputs (not "select layer 1" but "select previous layer") you can run the action from any doc state.
JM
J_Maloney
Dec 18, 2008
It looks like the two layer style adjustments are probably only useful if you were going to create another action for expand (but considering you can’t use this "method" on a select-all for expand anyway…). You could have two in a row with the first to be the "default value" where you might adjust it, but might want it set to something other than three for quick no-entry-entering… Either way, I don’t think you ever want the insert menu item layer style in your action as that (in CS3) seems to cancel out the previous layer style attributes (??).
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Dec 19, 2008
That’s a better workaround than I came up with because it does precise pixels, would need to be actioned though.
JM
J_Maloney
Dec 19, 2008
Yes, the idea is you button/key command the action and it presents one dialog box, which is the pixel amount you’d like to contract. Hit enter and you have your contracted selection.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections