RV
Posted By
Robert_Vernon
Aug 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have PhotoShop Elements, v 1.0, running under Windows XP. I am having trouble with the Batch function.

Problem description: I have a folder of .jpg pictures, each picture about 500KB. I want to use Batch to reduce their size to, say, 100K each so they will be more email friendly (I can do this picture by picture using Save As, but this takes forever.)

Using Batch, under "Convert Image Size", I am given two options. First, I can set the height and width to, say, 1200 x 800. However, since some of these photos have already been cropped, the some of the resulting images are distorted.

The second option on the screen is to set to DPI, with a range of picks from 72 DPI to 600 DPI. No matter which I choose, I get the same sized results. In other words, setting the DPI appears to give you no control over the resulting images size (ie, number of resulting pixels.)

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong, or is this just how batch works? Is there anyway with Batch to just set a parameter, like "reduce to 100KB" as you can do with the sliding bar with Save As? Or, enter something like "reduce all images to 25% of original"??

Any help to a beginner will be appreciated.

Robert Vernon

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 27, 2004
Size as measured in KB isn’t the end of the story. Each image you have is made up of X number of pixels in length and width. If you increase the resolution, the pixels will merely become more tightly compacted. Conversely, if you increase the resolution (without cropping out any of the image), the number of pixels will remain the same, but they will just be spread out further. Plus, the subject matter of the image itself will effect the overall size. The more detailed the image, the larger the file size will be. I think some of your confusion is coming from not having a complete understanding about the relationship between "pixel count", resolution, and overall file size.

If what you want to do is take a folder of pictures and resize them so each becomes an e-mail friendly size, pick a target size in terms of dimension and work with that. Most of the time, if I just want to resize an image so it will display in an e-mail message that I send to someone, I’ll set the width at 600 pixels. Elements does the rest. Of course, if you have a mix of portrait and landscape images in that folder, they’re all going to become 600 pixels wide. That would be fine for the landscapes, but it might not give you a pleasing result for the portraits.

You’re also using PSE 1, which has fewer choices in the Batch processing feature. Make up a small folder of images you want to Batch and try running it through with the width dimension set to 600 (or 500 or 400) pixels and see what you get. If you don’t set a specific height, PSE should automatically constrain the proportion.

And, it may be that PSE 1 just doesn’t give you enough flexibility to achieve the exact result you’re after. An increased number of choices in Batch processing was one of the major changes when PSE 2 was released.
RV
Robert_Vernon
Sep 1, 2004
Thank you so much for your helpful message.
BH
Beth_Haney
Sep 1, 2004
Oh, you’re back! After I posted this message, I thought of two other things that should have been included. First, always make sure you’re working on copies. As time goes on and you become more comfortable with digital imaging, you might find you want to go back to some of your earlier shots and redo them. Most of us archive a copy of the image file, just as it comes off the camera, and work on nothing but copies.

Second, if you want to make sure you’re getting the smallest possible file size, set the resolution of the images you want to get ready to e-mail at 72ppi, as well as selecting your target size in terms of width. This method will result in a lower quality image file that probably won’t be suitable for printing, but it will give you a compact file for on screen viewing.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections