R
Posted By
rkny
Feb 27, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use a lot of adjustment layers and color fills. Previously, for as long as I can remember, upon creating a new adjustment layer or color fill, I could begin painting on the mask immediately after creating it. Furthermore, upon clicking on any layer with a mask, the mask would automatically become the "active" area.

Now with CS4, I find I have to click directly on a layer mask in order to paint on it EVERY time I create a masked layer or click on a different layer and click again on the masked layer.

Is there any way to tell Photoshop to automatically select a layer mask when working on a masked layer like it used to do? I’m clicking like 100x more than I used to.

Thanks.

rkny

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 27, 2009
No, the fact that it was targetting the layer mask by default was a bug that caused a lot of other nasty problems. It really should target the contents of the layer by default.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Feb 27, 2009
Yes that’s an improvement.
R
rkny
Mar 2, 2009
Well much of my masking is done on adjustments layers, so there is no "content". Wish there was a pref to automatically select the mask. I’m getting carpal tunnel.
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 2, 2009
There is a content to adjustment layers: the result of the adjustment. There just isn’t content you can paint on.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Mar 3, 2009
Well described Chris. There used to be a shortcut for selecting the mask which I think was command \ – but for some in CS4 this doesn’t seem to work anymore.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 3, 2009
Cmd back-slash does work still in CS4 to select the mask … or it does for me under OSX 10.4.11 anyway.

Check System Pand photoshop shortcuts to see if you have a conflict.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections