AR
Posted By
Ashish Rastogi
Oct 27, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have two layers in Photoshop 7, i want to apply a already prepare mask (another image) to the second layer. Please explain me how to do it.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PH
Photo_Help
Oct 27, 2003
If the image second image contains a mask you wish to copy…

Select the layer with the mask.
Go to the channels pallet.
Select the layer mask channel and deselect the other channels. Select all and copy.
Go to the second layer in the image you want to mask.
Add a layer mask.
Go to the channels pallet.
Paste.
AR
Ashish Rastogi
Oct 28, 2003
I want to apply a mask on the Layer 2 and want to reveal a bricks in the water picture. But through your last answer i am not able to do that. If you already give the right answer according to my problem. Then please explain me more or any tutorial…
AR
Ashish Rastogi
Oct 28, 2003
Ignore last post. Full discription as follows :-

Photo Help i think i don’t able to explain you my problem. See..

I have three images.

1) first one is black and white, so i want to use it as a mask.

2) second is bricks picture (Layer 1)

3) Third is water picture (Layer 2)

I want to apply a mask on the Layer 2 and want to reveal a bricks in the water picture. But through your last answer i am not able to do that. If you already give the right answer according to my problem. Then please explain me more or any tutorial…
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Oct 28, 2003
On your image that will be the mask, go to the channels palette. Control+click the composite channel’s thumbnail (or the only channel if it is a greyscale image), it loads the greyscale values as a gradual selection. You can go to select>save selection.

On the image you want to mask, go to select>load selection. Highlight the layer you want to mask in the layers palette, and click on the layer mask icon, it should load the selection as a layer mask.
AR
Ashish Rastogi
Oct 29, 2003
Pierre Courtejoie, sorry your answer not working.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Oct 29, 2003
I don’t have Photoshop here.
does all the images have the same size?
what exactly went wrong in the described processes?
AR
Ashish Rastogi
Oct 29, 2003
Not all the images of the same size but i dont think that’s the problem. But when i try to load selection in the last steps nothing happen actually. But save selection i have already done and load perfectly in that image. Please tryout on your photoshop when u have then please give the answer.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Oct 30, 2003
Ok, then just select the "mask image", and drag-and-drop it to the image you want to mask , as the top layer (you might have to promote the background as a layer by double-clicking its thumbnail)

Now, you can do the selection process (assuming that you scaled this new layer to fit the destination image) by CTRL+Clicking a channel in the channel palette will transfrom the greyscale image to a gradual mask.

You can now hide the top "mask layer" (using the eye icon). Select the layer that you want to mask, click on the "create layer mask" icon, and you should be ok… If the masked area is the area you want unmasked, just hit CTRL+I when you have the layer mask selected.

I won’t have access to PS until a few days, but I’m 100% sure that this process will work for you!
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Nov 1, 2003
Ashish, did it work?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections