DF
Posted By
Dean Fritzel
Mar 6, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have 2 layers. One is a photo, and the other is a black and white layer I want to use as a mask for the photo. How do I do this?

TIA

Dean

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
dave_milbut
Mar 6, 2009
one way is to create a layer mask (click add layer mask in the layers palette) then copy the black and white layer data into the mask.
K
KatWoman
Mar 6, 2009
on the B&W layer
make a selection of the black or white areas (select color range) then hit the mask icon at bottom of layer palette
you might want to inverse the selection first depending what you wanted to mask off
BH
BILL_HUNT
Mar 6, 2009
Though probably an extra click, or two, you can create your Selection, as KatWoman suggests, then choose Selection>Save Selection and choose Layer Mask. This has the added advantage of allowing you to easily Invert.

As I use this method most often (old habits), I often forget about the icon, that Dave mentioned.

Hunt
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 6, 2009
3!

there are at least 3 ways to do anything in photoshop! 🙂
F
Freeagent
Mar 7, 2009
Don’t forget ctrl+alt+2 to load luminosity selection. May work better than color range.
JJ
John Joslin
Mar 7, 2009
…. and I can think of a fifth. But let’s not get carried away. 😉

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections