AK
Posted By
Andrew_Kavanagh
Jan 7, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello everyone, I know how to use Layer Masks but this has always stumped me. How do you use the gradient tool repeatedly in a layer mask? If I do one pass looks great, but if I do another the new gradient replaces the first gradient in the layer mask.

What do I need to do to use the gradient tool in layer masks as many times as I want without "erasing" my first gradient?

Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

AK
Andrew_Kavanagh
Jan 7, 2007
Ok, I know you can make a selection with the marquee tool then do a new gradient and it will "erase" in the layer mask. Anyway to do a new gradient in a layer mask without having to make a selection first?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 7, 2007
Use the solid to transparent Gradient instead of Black to White. It’s on the Options Bar.
SF
Scott_Falkner
Jan 7, 2007
Or change the tool’s opacity mode. Try Multiply. Depending on what you want, also try Darken, Lighten, and Screen. Heck, try ’em all.
AK
Andrew_Kavanagh
Jan 7, 2007
Yes, the Gradient set to Black to Transparent works great. Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections