HF
Posted By
Hays_Fisher
Feb 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am working in Elements 2.0 and can’t figure out how to get a Layer Mask.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BG
Byron Gale
Feb 27, 2004
Hays,

Elements has Layer Masks, but you have to go "around the barn" to use them.

Create an Adjustment Layer below the layer you wish to mask. Don’t make any adjustment, just accept it as default. This gives you a layer with a mask which you can use.

Group your original layer with the new Adjustment layer. Your original layer should become invisible, because it is now masked by the Adjustment layer’s mask.

In the Layers palette, click the right-hand icon (layer mask) of the new adjustment layer. Paint with white to show your original layer, or fill with white to show the whole thing, then paint with black to mask. Gray values painted will show correspondingly varied opacity.

Or, you can download one of the free add-ins for Elements which gives you the ability to add a true Layer Mask to any layer. Go to http://home.cogeco.ca/~challenge/index.html and click "Links" at the bottom of the lefthand column. On the Links page, you’ll find links to Paul Shipley’s tools, and the Hidden Power tools. Both are excellent and will do the job, and more. (I use the Hidden Power tools, because I have also purchased Richard Lynch’s book, which comes with the FULL set of Hidden Power tools, and everything works seamlessly — but, in a former incarnation, I used the Shipley add-ins with no trouble)

Write back if you need more.

Byron
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 27, 2004
Hays,

I forgot to mention… while you’re at Grant Dixon’s site, be sure to check out the Elements Challenge and consider taking part!!

Byron
MR
Mark_Reibman
Feb 28, 2004
Would someone like to tell me what a layer mask will do that the other selection tools can’t do? In what situation would a layer mask be the preferred technique?

BTW, Byron…that’s a pretty cool trick for making a layer mask.
SS
Susan_S.
Feb 28, 2004
Mark – I use layer masks (or another PE workaround for it – grouping to a blank layer) because of its flexibility. If I straight out make a selection – say to cut out an object from its background and later find that I haven’t done it quite right, then it’s a bit harder to modify than if I have the "selection" saved as a layer mask – I can modify the mask by painting in black to hide or white to reveal – guassian blur the mask to soften edges etc. I use gradients in layer masks (or a grouped empty layer) to blend two layers into each other. And the layer masks in the levels/add-on curves/ HSB adjustment layers are what I use to do targeted adjustments – again using the mask on an adjustment layer gives the ability to tweak more easily after seeing the end result, simply by modifying the mask. (If you are using grouping to a blank layer then painting in different shades of opacity gives the same effect as painting in white in a real layer mask)
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 28, 2004
Mark, I use a layer mask wherever I can because it’s forgiving, i.e., if I don’t make my selection exactly right, I can paint or erase on the layer mask to get the selection just right. You can also change the ‘feather’ of the selection by varying the opacity of the brush or the shade of gray on the layer.

Chuck
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 28, 2004
Susan, well said!
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 28, 2004
Mark,

I regret that I’m unable to recall where I learned the layer mask trick… I would like to be able to give credit where it’s due.

One advantage to using a layer mask is that you are able to isolate your effect or filter or whatever to just a portion of the layer, while keeping the layer itself intact. You have the ability to mask or reveal more or less of the layer dynamically by working on the mask.

This, as opposed to selecting the desired portion of the image and copying to a new layer and applying filters/effects/etc, and then changing your mind about how much of, or which part of, the original you should actually be working with, and having to do everything over.

More experienced folk will be able to give more and better examples, without a doubt.

Byron
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 28, 2004
*sigh*

Nice replies Susan and Chuck.

I’m not slow, I’m just half-fast… 😉

Byron
MR
Mark_Reibman
Feb 28, 2004
Chuck and Susan and Byron…thank you.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 28, 2004
Mark,

When I am colouring old photos I use a layer mask for each colour … it gives me the flexability to adjust places where the colours meet.

Wendy
MR
Mark_Reibman
Feb 28, 2004
Wendy,

I played with the layer mask last night so I could understand it better through doing. Doing several layer masks would be my next challenge. Thanks
MR
Mark_Reibman
Feb 28, 2004
Hays,

Best to use the color adjustment layer. I don’t know which ones work and which ones don’t but when I used levels it didn’t and when I used the color adjustment layer it worked fine.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections